MDF: (1) New York Rangers vs. (2) Washington Capitals Part II (Series 3-3) SEE OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
It should have been an icing on Nashs goal. Not a fan of the grey area the refs have with icing. Late in the game Miller didn't gain the line and was probably about the same two steps from the red line and they called it.

I mean, I'll obviously take it, but I would have been pissed had it gone the other way.
Icing is pretty much a joke at this point. Honestly what is the rule at this point? I know it's behind the center line to goal line, but the "race" parts ends at the top of the circles or the hashes now?

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
At this point, I'd be completely happy with the refs staying in the dressing room and the 2 linesmen coming out to call offside/drop the puck. Let em duke it out 5 vs 5.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Please, please, please for all that is good in this world watch it again and don't bring it up. These happen all the time, he tried to defend the puck and that makes him available to make contact with. There was no supplemental discipline on the hit. Department of player safety was ok with it and so were 95% of fans. Stop whining.

Just for posterity: What does the DPS have to do with this? You do realize that a penalty can be called even if there is no intent to injure, right?

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Well they couldn't have the self-proclaimed "King" go out with a whimper in the second round...I mean what would that do to the ratings?

Self proclaimed King? Really? You're an Islanders fan so surely you know the origination of his nickname and how Larry Brooks started calling him King Henry in his articles because of the tre kronor Hank had on his mask from the Sweden uniforms. Oh no, wait, that makes too much sense. Yup, Hank has demanded everyone call him King. Totally.

It's pretty sad if you actually believe the Rangers haven't earned every playoff series they've won. Implying otherwise is a bad look, especially when your team hasn't won a playoff series in 22 years.

nexusrage21

Dec 14, 2004
Icing is pretty much a joke at this point. Honestly what is the rule at this point? I know it's behind the center line to goal line, but the "race" parts ends at the top of the circles or the hashes now?

I watch most games with my dad and for years we have been saying we have no clue what icing is based on how they call it anymore.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
If you're a Caps fan and are tired of hearing about the Caps failures in Game 7s, and the "Curse", tomorrow night's game is great. No better way to break the supposed curse than by taking out "The King" [not self-proclaimed by the way] in MSG.

And if you win, it has nothing to do with a curse being broken, just like if you lose it has nothing to do with a curse. This is a different Caps team. Different style, different coaching and new significant players with no history of "the curse".

The Rangers ability to win game 7s is more relevant to me than the Caps curse. This Rangers team has players, coaches, and a style that has shown it's ability, recently, to win big game 7s.

Also, I've been sleeping on Kreider this year. That dude has been a stud for the Rangers this series. Don't know if he has done it all year, but he has been impressive. He's one of those guys you love to hate if he's on the other team, but one you'd give up 1/2 your team to get him if he keeps playing like he has this series.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Officiating could be better but I don't really think either team could complain at the moment.

My feeling, too.

Bad calls happen, lucky bounces happen, injuries happen. All the time.

The question is how does your team respond to adversity. Do they double down and re-commit, or do they shrink from the challenge?

There are 60 minutes (or more) to prove you are better and to ensure that a single bad bounce or bad call won't be fatal.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It should have been an icing on Nashs goal. Not a fan of the grey area the refs have with icing. Late in the game Miller didn't gain the line and was probably about the same two steps from the red line and they called it.

I mean, I'll obviously take it, but I would have been pissed had it gone the other way.

One reason the Miller play was probably called was that he moved parallel to the redline before dumping it instead of skating towards the red line. Refs seem to give some follow through leeway but if you're not actually moving forward then you probably won't get it

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I watch most games with my dad and for years we have been saying we have no clue what icing is based on how they call it anymore.

Did they not put in a rule back in 08 or 09 that if it was deemed an "intended pass" by the official it was no longer icing? It seems that is long gone as a rule, I've seen intended passes literally go right by a guy's stick and they call it icing now, its almost as if that whole thing either was forgotten or they changed it and nobody ever heard.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Did they not put in a rule back in 08 or 09 that if it was deemed an "intended pass" by the official it was no longer icing? It seems that is long gone as a rule, I've seen intended passes literally go right by a guy's stick and they call it icing now, its almost as if that whole thing either was forgotten or they changed it and nobody ever heard.

They got rid of that rule in the recent past.

Icing is pretty simple. Puck goes into the zone from beyond the red line. As long as the puck makes it there before the defensive player, play is blown dead when said defensive player passes the faceoff dot. It's black and white. It doesn't even matter if that defensive player is passing the opposite dot. It doesn't matter if the puck is swinging around the boards and the offensive player would get to it first due to positioning.

The one thing I would change is calling icing when the opponent tries to stop the puck and misses.

The refs stretch the intention of getting to the red line, but they do that consistently. I'm sure if we dug out every dump in that the Caps did in game 6, we'd find at least one that was as far away from the red line as the situation on the goal. Complaining about it is stupid.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Tomorrow will be quite the interesting game.. The Rangers coming back two years in a row being down 3-1 in the semifinals, and it would be be the third time in four years the Rangers make the Eastern Conference Finals!

If Washington wins, AO becomes the next Messier (if he scores and carries his tea) and it would be the first time AO makes it past this round..

As a Ranger fan I don't know what to expect.. Being down 3-1 hurt a lot after game 4, my expectations weren't that high at all, didn't think we could tie it up two years in row being down like this.

Anything can happen.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
They got rid of that rule in the recent past.

Icing is pretty simple. Puck goes into the zone from beyond the red line. As long as the puck makes it there before the defensive player, play is blown dead when said defensive player passes the faceoff dot. It's black and white. It doesn't even matter if that defensive player is passing the opposite dot. It doesn't matter if the puck is swinging around the boards and the offensive player would get to it first due to positioning.

The one thing I would change is calling icing when the opponent tries to stop the puck and misses.

No you got hybrid icing wrong. Its a common myth that its a race to the dot but its not. The ref makes a judgement who would get to the puck first by then but it does matter where the puck is going and the position of the players.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No you got hybrid icing wrong. Its a common myth that its a race to the dot but its not. The ref makes a judgement who would get to the puck first by then but it does matter where the puck is going and the position of the players.

Yes, the ref makes a judgment. But every time they make that judgment on the side of caution and for the defensive player. It takes the rare race to do it otherwise. I wasn't quoting the rule. I was talking about the way it's called.

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
Ovechkin's guarantee will be like Messier's guarantee in the sense that someone will be getting a hat trick tomorrow night (or today now).

That someone though, will be Rick Nash.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Oh please.

I for one am glad the Rangers finally got a call their way. They got screwed on the Boyle hit from behind that lost them the game and game 4 Stepan was interfered with which led to a goal.
1. Nobody would be complaining about the Boyle hit if he didn't get "hurt".
2. Stepan turned into Brouwer actually. So just because a Ranger fell doesn't mean it should've been a penalty!

R2theDizzlE

Mar 28, 2014
Sound Beach, NY
1. Nobody would be complaining about the Boyle hit if he didn't get "hurt".
2. Stepan turned into Brouwer actually. So just because a Ranger fell doesn't mean it should've been a penalty!

Yeah, but Brouwer still shoved him into the ice. That was as clear of interference as I have seen.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Yeah, but Brouwer still shoved him into the ice. That was as clear of interference as I have seen.

Watch the replay of the goal... Brouwer was turning and facing the far corner when Stepan made contact with him. I don't see how anyone could see that Brouwer could have shoved him honestly. His hands were on his stick and he was facing the other way.

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
Watch the replay of the goal... Brouwer was turning and facing the far corner when Stepan made contact with him. I don't see how anyone could see that Brouwer could have shoved him honestly. His hands were on his stick and he was facing the other way.

Just like the holding penalty on McDonagh right? And the elbow that happened before that never happened either right?

Anyways excited for the game tonight. Should be a great one, last time it was NYR WSH game 7 it was 4 or 5 to 0 I believe so here's to a repeat, LGR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad