McPhee and Gallant

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Not really .Ship didn't fit the system and didn't want to learn in the AHL.

Gusev, how many teams are putting in new players with a few days practice.
Have you read the OP? The GM signed a player that does not fit in the system. You admit that yourself.

Then why would Shipachyov want to "learn" in a minor league? He is no 19.y.o.. When he was signed they certainly discussed that part.

As for Gusev I understand the OP's fandom, but I think it was obvious the chaces for him to play were slim and it was more about territorial p...ings by GMGM. Burning a contract year to ensure he is there come next season.

Still from Gallant's comments and from what I see as the system in Vegas I could imagine Gusev won't be a shoe-in like Panarin was with Kane. But it was his choice.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Gallant playing Gusev in a game 7 as his first game on NHL ice with teammates he barely knows and has had almost no practice with would have been arguably the dumbest coaching move of the century. Imagine if Gusev has been the one to take the penalty Eakin did? Or Gusev wet the bed and made a bad pass directly leading to the GWG against. You can ruin a guy that way by destroying his confidence and aggressiveness or turning an entire fan base against him as a scapegoat. That’s next level dumb. Thankfully Gallant isn’t a moron.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Why is that?

There's a number of reasons but I personally think the big ones are:

Lack of skill distribution in that there are a number of teams that would not only be beaten by AHL level teams, but there are teams who would be beaten by the ECHL's best.

Because of the lack of skill distribution, the game continues to devolve and get slower.

And another reason is The allure of the NHL, not only are good veterans moving to the NHL because of higher salaries and the sheer fact it's the best league in the world, but we're seeing an increase in Russian born players heading over earlier and earlier (much to the chagrin of many Russian posters here) , and the lower ranks aren't being filled out as they once were. Look no further than the top 10 in scoring this year, where players who couldn't cut it in the NHL, or could barely cut it in some cases litter their leagues scoring race. Dietz, Ellison, Sexton, Dawes, O'Neil, Grigorenko, even Ship. This is no longer a league of allure and mystery where great treasures are hidden around every corner. Yes, there are still good NHL quality players in this league, and a top 10 league wide prospect in Kaprizov and Kravtsov, but the league in general has taken a huge dive and the skill differential from 2018-19 is far inferior to what it once was.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
It really doesnt matter that much. Gusev should have played that's why they signed him in the first place.

It does matter. Makar has also had dev camps with the organization for a few years now. Gusev has spent a week in Vegas.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Are you serious? This isn’t a video game. No team would put in a player that has barely practiced with the team or played on NHL ice. Although I agree Pirri was bad, I do t think he passed the puck once.
Seriously, do these two guys even communicate in regards to players signings?

It seems that McPhee signs players he likes and then Gallant needs to deal with them knowing basically nothing about them.

First, they get Schipachyov, a great playmaking center. He’s put alongside grinders and barely has any ice time with skilled players. As a result, he bolts and forgets it all as a nightmare.

Now, they sign Gusev, undeniably the best hockey player outside NHL, then Gallant says “I need to see what I can do with him, we already have a roster”.

Now, a spot on the team becomes available for game 7, and he picks Pirri instead, who was absolutely terrible. Literally how do you sit a Panarin level player when your team was struggling offensively beyond first line?

This is outrageous

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Gallant playing Gusev in a game 7 as his first game on NHL ice with teammates he barely knows and has had almost no practice with would have been arguably the dumbest coaching move of the century. Imagine if Gusev has been the one to take the penalty Eakin did? Or Gusev wet the bed and made a bad pass directly leading to the GWG against. You can ruin a guy that way by destroying his confidence and aggressiveness or turning an entire fan base against him as a scapegoat. That’s next level dumb. Thankfully Gallant isn’t a moron.

Yeah better put goons in. It's not like gusev hasn't played in high pressure situations internationally or at any level.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
It does matter. Makar has also had dev camps with the organization for a few years now. Gusev has spent a week in Vegas.

Makar is 20 years old. Gusev is 26 and has been playing against men for years. Gusev should have played that's why they signed him.
Now they have all summer to evaluate that mistake.

Reactions: ViD

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
You can’t compare Makar and Gusev situation..

Makar is the futur general of the Avs defense.

Gusev we don't even know if he will be a regular in the NHL

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Rocket...surgery?

rocket-surgery.jpg

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Makar is 20 years old. Gusev is 26 and has been playing against men for years. Gusev should have played that's why they signed him.
Now they have all summer to evaluate that mistake.

I think Gusev burned his ELC year as well so wonder what he resigns for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad