McPhee and Gallant

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Seriously, do these two guys even communicate in regards to players signings?

It seems that McPhee signs players he likes and then Gallant needs to deal with them knowing basically nothing about them.

First, they get Schipachyov, a great playmaking center. He’s put alongside grinders and barely has any ice time with skilled players. As a result, he bolts and forgets it all as a nightmare.

Now, they sign Gusev, undeniably the best hockey player outside NHL, then Gallant says “I need to see what I can do with him, we already have a roster”.

Now, a spot on the team becomes available for game 7, and he picks Pirri instead, who was absolutely terrible. Literally how do you sit a Panarin level player when your team was struggling offensively beyond first line?

This is outrageous

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Never would I ever put a player that hasn't played on NHL ice mini-series in a tense series. If he was going to play at all it would be to start in Colorado. That would be after weeks of practice and understanding of potential linemates.

Reactions: Vachon23 and BHD

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

It seems that McPhee signs players he likes and then Gallant needs to deal with them knowing basically nothing about them.

First, they get Schipachyov, a great playmaking center. He’s put alongside grinders and barely has any ice time with skilled players. As a result, he bolts and forgets it all as a nightmare.

Now, they sign Gusev, undeniably the best hockey player outside NHL, then Gallant says “I need to see what I can do with him, we already have a roster”.

Now, a spot on the team becomes available for game 7, and he picks Pirri instead, who was absolutely terrible. Literally how do you sit a Panarin level player when your team was struggling offensively beyond first line?

This is outrageous

That's the problem. Gusev isn't a Panarin level player lol. He's a good skilled player but you're way overrating him if you think he's in Panarin's skill level. The KHL has taken a huge hit in the past 2 seasons in terms of calibre of play. The KHL Panarin excelled in, was far superior to the league Gusev excelled in. I mean do you really think if they had a Panarin player waiting to play they'd sit him?

Reactions: Vachon23

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You're just upset because he hasn't had success with Russians. There's legit rationale for not putting Gusev in, and Ship... Well he just didn't work out.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
That's the problem. Gusev isn't a Panarin level player lol. He's a good skilled player but you're way overrating him if you think he's in Panarin's skill level. The KHL has taken a huge hit in the past 2 seasons in terms of calibre of play. The KHL Panarin excelled in, was far superior to the league Gusev excelled in. I mean do you really think if they had a Panarin player waiting to play they'd sit him?
He’s on Panarin level, very similar player

Reactions: benedictTavares

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I don't fault them for how they handled Gusev. It's just too bad his KHL season hadn't ended early to get him some regular season games to acclimate.

My gripe is not going to Pirri sooner. Nosek was an offensive black hole.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gusev knew this was a possibility when he came over.

He'll get his shot.

The Ship situation isn't remotely comparable. Ship came over thinking he'd be "the man" and came in patently refusing to do what Gallant told him to so he was sent to the AHL. Where he only showed up to one or two practices where it was the same problem. He thought he knew better than everyone else and refused to listen then just stopped coming to practice. People keep acting like Ship's treatment was some great injustice but he got that treatment because he refused to accept what every other player understands: if you want to play in this league you do as the coaches tell you, you earn your keep, and you don't skip practice to throw a tantrum.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
The only reason Gusev wanted to come over already this season was to quickly get rid off that 1y ECL.

Now he can sign for a bigger buck this off-season. Or go back to Russia if Vegas doesn’t offer enough for his taste.

Surely people realize this?

Reactions: WesMcCauley

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The only reason Gusev wanted to come over already this season was to quickly get rid off that 1y ECL.

Now he can sign for a bigger buck this off-season. Or go back to Russia if Vegas doesn’t offer enough for his taste.

Surely people realize this?
I think it's to get a shot at the cup. He did give up KHL bonus to come over

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
He's referencing Makar and Texier, neither of whom had played for their respective teams prior to the playoffs.
Makar played on the same sized rink and likely played in a few of their development camps. Texier played two games in the regular season before the playoffs. A lot different than signing a guy in the middle of a series, only getting him in a couple practices.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Makar played on the same sized rink and likely played in a few of their development camps. Texier played two games in the regular season before the playoffs. A lot different than signing a guy in the middle of a series, only getting him in a couple practices.

I don’t think a rookie camp 9 months ago means a whole lot. Makar has one morning skate before his first game, no real practices.

Players play.

Reactions: avsfan09

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Gusev is 26. The guy has played on NHL sized rinks before. If he can play hockey better than some one else on the team you put him in. It's not rocket surgery.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Hindsight is 20/20 and fans always find a reason to complain.
The view is different from behind the bench holding a clipboard than it is from your living room holding a hoagie and a beer.
Gallant did what he thought was best. That’s his job....Not yours.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Vegas fans we can switch up. Bring us Gallant. We bring you Muller. Easy that's.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

This is outrageous

Your obsession with Russians is weird.

Schipachyov was bad in the pre-season, bad in the few regular seasons, and had 0 willingness to actually learn how to play in NA. He thought he would be gifted top 6 mins on a bad team and threw a tantrum when that didn’t happen and ran home.

Gusev very well could of been a great player for them. He also has barely ever played on NA, never in an NHL game, never with his current team, and especially never in a high contact, high pressure game 7... and you expect THAT to be his first intro into the NHL?

Maybe he looked awful in practice with the team since he has 0 chemistry yet?

Reactions: HanSolo

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

Why is that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad