Confirmed with Link: McNabb signs four year extension.

MCassel

Nov 29, 2017
A bit surprising, I wasn't expecting him to be the first to get an extension, let alone this early, but I don't hate it. As long as he's not paired with Engelland as off, I'm ok with it. With the more offensive minded guys like Miller and Theodore, I'm ok with McNabb staying back at the blue line and throwing down big hits and taking whatever offense we can get from him as a bonus.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
McNabb is 4th in ice time and is the team leader in HITS and BLOCKED SHOTS (and Penalties).

And he's getting 3rd pairing money? Great signing McPhee!

I doubt Schmidt gets a contract extension until the middle of next season because he'll need to get double that amount (for sure won't be signing any offer under $20 million) and the GM wouldn't want all the other blueliners to quote Schmidt's deal in negotiations. Signing McNabb at a low price REALLY helps negotiations with other dmen. This is an awesome move at the right time.

Remember when he walked out at the team's post-expansion draft media event?

McNabb.jpg

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
A bit surprising, I wasn't expecting him to be the first to get an extension, let alone this early, but I don't hate it. As long as he's not paired with Engelland as off, I'm ok with it. With the more offensive minded guys like Miller and Theodore, I'm ok with McNabb staying back at the blue line and throwing down big hits and taking whatever offense we can get from him as a bonus.

I don’t think it’s that surprising. He’s a quality NHL player, bur when you are offered market value and 4 years at that, you take it and run.

I also wholeheartedly agree with you on the pairing dynamics.

Engelland, McNabb, and Sbisa all need someone who can get the puck out of the zone.

2.5 for a #4-5 defenseman with possible room to grow? I’ll take that all day everyday.

I still am not a fan of Sbisa. He said played okay, but just isn’t that good. I would expect to see him gone at the deadline for a 3rd. Merrill should get some games in favor of ENgelland or Sbisa imo.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
One thing the Knights do pretty well and is a very important skill in the Western Conference is take a hit to make a play which sometimes includes eating the puck in the defensive zone to avoid a bad turnover. When you watch Eastern Conference hockey you don't see this as much, players there are much more focused on quick outlets and trying to be skilled. Really kind of notable how different the conferences have become in this regard. Went to see a game in Jersey recently and its was just such different hockey. Few players trying to win battles and the forecheck is quite weak with players just sort of waiting for the other team to make mistakes. Certainly not all teams fit this on each side, but it seems more the rule. Interesting how the Kings have totally switched strategy and aren't much of a heavy forecheck team like they used to be, part of why I think I'll believe they are good once they win a playoff series in their new philosophy. A hard plodding team that is patient and works hard is going to beat them and most Eastern teams too.

I think this part is good planning by GMGM by keeping mostly Western Conference defensemen. McNabb is a long veteran of the style of play needed to succeed in the West so I think this is a good signing. Its also I think the last step Shea needs to make to be a full time starter. Offensive talent is great and all, but he'll get punished in his own end if he doesn't master the skill of making the safe play first which sometimes can come only from absorbing a hit. Hopefully he and eventually Brannstrom learn from McNabb and Engelland, two guys who can teach them a lot of skills you won't learn in juniors where guys heading to the NHL can just outskill their opponents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad