Post-Game Talk: McMann vs McBoys, Leafs win 6-3

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You're joking but I've had the pleasure of playing pick-up hockey with some real players and it's a real thing. It's almost like it can't go wrong being on the ice with them. Have your stick on the ice and they put it on the tape every time. Pass it to them within a 20 foot radius, they grab it every time. Hockey has so many levels of talent it's ridiculous. Those people are in a different universe than me.
Same, I've been on the ice with both HoFers and 400 game journeymen. The ones who make it into that level are in a different universe, for sure.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
I realize the third period was awful but I counted four penalties that weren't called against the oilers that helped them retain possession and kept their momentum going. You call at least one of those penalties and this third period is very different.

Like I said in the past the NHL is the only league that I know of that does the shit. A penalty is a penalty for crying out loud.
Lots of slashing was what I saw. It was a quite a reminder of what's to come in the playoffs...the NHL has their scripts, and they like to stick to them. Meanwhile Simpson just laughs about it every time..."Well you just know when you've had the advantage, the next one is going against you, yuk yuk yuk". I mean yeah...or they could actually call the game as they see it, if one team takes 7 penalties in a row, so be it. Joke league.

Also the digital board ads going haywire at 6 mins left was a thing of beauty, lol. The best part is when they give up and turn them the f*** off. But Bettman tells us we all love these ads, Good One, Randy.

Digital Ads go Haywire (YouTube)

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
But if you peek on to the Oilers board...

>>>

Scores over 80% of his goals against non playoff teams and some garbage ones like this

It's laughable he is even talked about for MVP

<<<

LOL Man It's so easy to dislike that bunch over there. SO salty. They obviously need more ex-Leafs to calm them down. They got lucky with Hym's, but we sold them a can of soup for 5 million a year, heck they still have Codi Feces in their 6. Maybe they'll take Brodie in the off season?
They are a strange bunch. They get real defensive if you mention another player in the same breath/sentence as McDavid, even if you aren't seeing he's better or as good.

It's like.

"I think Connor McDavid is good. Real good. The greatest hockey talent there is in the world. Auston Matthews has Mexican roots."

"SHUT UP. HOW DARE YOU MENTION THAT FRAUD AND SAY HE'S BETTER THAN OUR MCJESUS. HE ISN'T, HE SUCKS."

Reactions: HolyCrap

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not going to lie. When he took the shot up high..killed time..and then threw his head forward to knock his helmet off..killing more time..I was thinking to myself "Oilers are pressing here..lots of PP opportunities..I think Sammy's trying to buy some time..interrupt the momentum"..then he's down on the ice hurt and I'm asking myself maybe he's buying time again? Oh no maybe he's really hurt? Then I saw the quote from Keefe post game and I can't lie I sorta thought the same as you.
Goalie wouldn’t want to leave the game. He was obviously hurt, thankfully it sounds like it’s not bad.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Time to switch sports my friend. If you couldn't enjoy those first two periods by the Leafs, then you're not a fan of this team. My friend turned to me during the game and said "wouldn't this be a great SC Finals". I have to agree. Both teams exhibited some animosity towards each other which only adds to the excitement of watching. The fact we now stand up for each other and even initiate physical contact is a bonus to all the skill we possess.
I think their name kind of gives away the fact they aren’t a fan. Backhand insult.

Reactions: kb and al secord

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
It can’t be stressed enough how important our physical play was, especially in the first two periods. From McCabe’s game leading 7 hits to Edmundson making life difficult for players in front of the net, this defence played their best physical game of the season. I love Keefe’s comment on McCabe “arrives to the puck in a bad mood”. We need more players who think this way.
Loved it in that melee when McCabe lost his bucket, crazy hair, he looked vintage 1977 line brawl.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
That's a bad loss for the Oil and it'll be fun watching them take their anger out on the Sens. It reminds me of when Marchand once again was a rat and injured Liljegren earlier this year and the Leafs waffled. After that game they started playing a much angrier and heavier game.

When freaking Janmark has to be your tough guy since your Kanes and Nurses are too afraid to stand up to Reaves you know you need to make some big changes in your approach to the physical side

Reactions: al secord

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How was game boys? Heard Sammy got hurt? Is he ok?
Great game over the first two periods, up 5-0. Some dumb penalties lead to them getting two on the PP, and then they went 6 on 5 and scored another, before we put it away. We played great at times, and then lacked discipline to shut it down, and risked letting them back in... but Edmonton is also a high powered team, so shutting them out completely isn't easy.

""

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Leafs had the number 2 ranked PP last year, you can discuss the other team that you seem to follow closely on their board

A lot of good that number 2 ranked PP last year did getting absolutely steam rolled by Florida in five games.

Dubas’ crowning achievement with the Leafs :laugh: :clap:

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
They do look noticeably tougher second half of the season.
Like really noticeably. Tables have been turned.

It’s great.

Reactions: ACC1224

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Its possible the leafs have four solid D pairings now.

Rielly-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren
Brodie-Lyubushkin
Benoit-Timmins

Reactions: OddyOh

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
""

This summarizes the new Leafs.

It's nice having this guy laying the lumber against someone other than our team. Hated him in that Hab playoff series. New Leafs? Dare I say a much more likeable team? One better prepared for the rigors of the playoffs? I believe so.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I love the fact that next year we feel confident that we can role a top line of:

McMann-Mattews-Marner

McMann would serve perfectly in the Bunting / Hyman role that the LW on that lined has played previously. Doing it for 1.5 million × 2 is another steal for Toronto and allows them to use Bertuzzi's money coming off the books elsewhere in the lineup.

McMann-Matthews-Marner
Addition-Domi-Nylander
Knies-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Kampf-Cowan

Something like that could be interesting, with some extra cap allocation on the back end to address the defense / goalie situation.

Reactions: Magic Man

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
They are a strange bunch. They get real defensive if you mention another player in the same breath/sentence as McDavid, even if you aren't seeing he's better or as good.

It's like.

"I think Connor McDavid is good. Real good. The greatest hockey talent there is in the world. Auston Matthews has Mexican roots."

"SHUT UP. HOW DARE YOU MENTION THAT FRAUD AND SAY HE'S BETTER THAN OUR MCJESUS. HE ISN'T, HE SUCKS."
Well, TBF there really isn’t anyone close to McDavid’s level ATM.

But yeah, it is funny seeing them get so butthurt when someone does put a player on his level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad