Post-Game Talk: McMann vs McBoys, Leafs win 6-3

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
The Oil got...

giphy.gif

... if we didn't have a game at 6 today, the Leafs would have not rested their stars in the 3rd ... kinda felt the Refs wanted a certain outcome eh?

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Matthews 58th goal of the season was his 1st empty net goal of the season. Passing all tests.
But if you peek on to the Oilers board...

>>>
I forgot Fraudthews was playing
Scores over 80% of his goals against non playoff teams and some garbage ones like this

It's laughable he is even talked about for MVP

<<<

LOL Man It's so easy to dislike that bunch over there. SO salty. They obviously need more ex-Leafs to calm them down. They got lucky with Hym's, but we sold them a can of soup for 5 million a year, heck they still have Codi Feces in their 6. Maybe they'll take Brodie in the off season?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
A game filled with hits, fights, tenacity, where the worlds best goalscorer scores, the worlds best player picks up 3 assists, the hometeam team wins is a dud?

Did you watch any of the game?
I tolerated about 5 mins of that game after muddling through the third period of the Preds Wings game.….it’s getting more difficult to watch this league.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I know that Keefe said that Samsonov is ok, but does anyone know what kind of injury he has because you don't leave a game unless you're really hurt.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't understand the coaching that encourages collapsing into your own end, even at even strength. What happened to ending a game by forechecking.
Oilers had empty net for 3+ minutes because we defend like like we are 2 men short, and then don't do it well and cannot get a change...doesn't inspire confidence
We have weak defenders overall and collapsing takes more decisions away from the 5 guys on the ice, especially the forwards. The more decisions, the more mistakes this team makes.

I wish we had better personnel to play a little more aggressive, but the simple truth is a lot of our guys haven't made smart decisions there, especially recently and don't make good defensive reads on the whole.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I’m wondering now if Sammy just decided to check out because things were falling apart and his still fragile mindset couldn’t handle it.

I'm not going to lie. When he took the shot up high..killed time..and then threw his head forward to knock his helmet off..killing more time..I was thinking to myself "Oilers are pressing here..lots of PP opportunities..I think Sammy's trying to buy some time..interrupt the momentum"..then he's down on the ice hurt and I'm asking myself maybe he's buying time again? Oh no maybe he's really hurt? Then I saw the quote from Keefe post game and I can't lie I sorta thought the same as you.

Reactions: Kazparov

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Of course Edmonton was gonna make a push in the 3rd. They were losing 5-0 and had nothing to lose so they went all out attack. They did nothing at 5v5.
This right here is a much clearer vision of what actually happened, rather than the Bud's hanging on by the skin of their teeth and Shelly standing idly behind the Leaf bench wearing his Chinese knock off #98 Grtzky sweater.

I'll certainly agree that it was a lot more stressful than it should have been going into the 3rd 5 pucks up, but everybody had to know that the stripes were going to do their absolute best to keep the fans from flipping over to AGT or The Lawrence Welk Show or some other equally mind numbing crap that's on commercial TV.

Reactions: kb and Gallagbi

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Connor McDavid: "Coach, it doesn't matter who you put with me, even a potato could score 50".

Zach Hyman: "Hold my beer"

You're joking but I've had the pleasure of playing pick-up hockey with some real players and it's a real thing. It's almost like it can't go wrong being on the ice with them. Have your stick on the ice and they put it on the tape every time. Pass it to them within a 20 foot radius, they grab it every time. Hockey has so many levels of talent it's ridiculous. Those people are in a different universe than me.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Leafs are 24-6-2 against the West. 16-14-7 against the East. It's pretty obvious the East is a better division, the West is best described as the league between the AHL and the NHL. Is anyone surprised the Oil got pumped? Such a weak watered down Division.

Last edited:

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Haven't really looked at numbers to compare. But is this year the worst the team has been down a man whether 5on4 or 6on5 in a while? It sure feels like it and looks like it. I remember some Babcock teams not having the pieces to kill penalties. And I'm sure the Burke/Nonis era had some stinkers. But being down a man has felt and looked truly awful and dire this year.

Reactions: banks

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That McCabe hit on Draisatil was a thing of beauty

Especially after his comments in Toronto last year, arrogant f*** turtled pretty quickly when he got a taste of Eastern style playoff hockey. How long is McDavid out, shame he couldn't play in his home town last night. It's generally accepted that McDavid wants to leave the Artic and come home when he becomes a UFA, I'm not sure that I want him here, he struggles really bad in Toronto and against Eastern teams. If he played in the East we can expect easily a 20% to 30% decline in his production.... A HOF in the West, a pretender in the East.

Reactions: fahad203

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't understand the coaching that encourages collapsing into your own end, even at even strength. What happened to ending a game by forechecking.
Oilers had empty net for 3+ minutes because we defend like like we are 2 men short, and then don't do it well and cannot get a change...doesn't inspire confidence
Being out manned 2-1 on every puck tends to do that

I mean they could press for every puck, but tired legs usually means fishing that same puck out of your own net.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Dubas negotiating himself out of a job is the best thing to happen to this team since winning the Matthews lottery
Maybe he should have taken that time off he said he would if he was not the GM in Toronto. Dude needs some perspective.

Even if the Leafs go out in round 1, this is the kind of team I want to cheer for.

I am a Crosby fan, but glad that team is missing the playoffs. I had no ill will against the former GM when he was here, but am glad he is not here anymore.

he didn't look all that thrilled imo
I believe he is REALLY big on not taking away the spotlight from Max.

Remember when Max signed here, first question was why not 28, and he said, why would I wear that, I'm not my old man, I am my own man (paraphrased).

Sounds like a life lesson from a former NHLer to his future NHLer son.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I tolerated about 5 mins of that game after muddling through the third period of the Preds Wings game.….it’s getting more difficult to watch this league.
Time to switch sports my friend. If you couldn't enjoy those first two periods by the Leafs, then you're not a fan of this team. My friend turned to me during the game and said "wouldn't this be a great SC Finals". I have to agree. Both teams exhibited some animosity towards each other which only adds to the excitement of watching. The fact we now stand up for each other and even initiate physical contact is a bonus to all the skill we possess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad