Confirmed with Link: McLeod to Nashville for a 2020 7th Round Pick

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I am not sure there is a category of pay slightly more. Seems like if the Rangers want a McLeod type the best way to go about it is a 1 year term with a cap hit that can be buried completely. Other than that they are likely paying Martin, Shaw, Reeves type contracts to get something better.
I don't think it has to be a McLeod-type, as in a f***ing goon. Just a veteran leader or at least good citizen who can play on the fourth line and contribute in the locker room. Look at Troy Brouwer--signed for a year at $850K. Wears an A everywhere. Wouldn't he be better than McLeod? Patrick Maroon signed for a year a $1.75M. Tyler Ennis--wore an A, one year at less than McLeod. Drew Stafford. Brian Gibbons. Alex Chiasson. The guys are out there that can play on your bottom line and be good citizens who bring veteran leadership. With the exception of Maroon they're all slightly more or slightly less. Not saying they'd all want to sign here. But you can find those guys, if you want to. The problem is we don't want to. We want to sign Wreck-It Ralph every year for whatever reason.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think it has to be a McLeod-type, as in a ****ing goon. Just a veteran leader or at least good citizen who can play on the fourth line and contribute in the locker room. Look at Troy Brouwer--signed for a year at $850K. Wears an A everywhere. Wouldn't he be better than McLeod? Patrick Maroon signed for a year a $1.75M. Tyler Ennis--wore an A, one year at less than McLeod. Drew Stafford. Brian Gibbons. Alex Chiasson. The guys are out there that can play on your bottom line and be good citizens who bring veteran leadership. With the exception of Maroon they're all slightly more or slightly less. Not saying they'd all want to sign here. But you can find those guys, if you want to. The problem is we don't want to. We want to sign Wreck-It Ralph every year for whatever reason.

I hear you, and I agree, I don't think they need a fighter yet they seem to think they need that, and if so the shortest term and cheapest (at least a cap hit that can be buried in the minors) is the way to go in my opinion as a player who both fights and can play better than McLeod gets them into the overpaid and they have to play him over some prospect territory.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I hear you, and I agree, I don't think they need a fighter yet they seem to think they need that, and if so the shortest term and cheapest (at least a cap hit that can be buried in the minors) is the way to go in my opinion as a player who both fights and can play better than McLeod gets them into the overpaid and they have to play him over some prospect territory.
This is correct, I think. I just don't see the need to pay for a guy that fights. Give me a Brouwer over a goon any day of the week.

I enjoy fighting. I used to love goons. But, this is a different time. Their place in the game is disappearing. Can't waste a roster spot on the Red Guy from Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots.

But we will. Our front office still values the role.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
This is correct, I think. I just don't see the need to pay for a guy that fights. Give me a Brouwer over a goon any day of the week.

I enjoy fighting. I used to love goons. But, this is a different time. Their place in the game is disappearing. Can't waste a roster spot on the Red Guy from Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots.

I mean to a point I get it, there is still plenty of fans who like fighting, I'm not opposed to it albeit I think it should be spontaneous and based on the emotions of the game.

I also think them being young, not winning much and soft is a bad combination so I get that side of it too.

My beef is more why pay a ton for it? Most of these guys play, like actual time on ice is less than 10 mins a game, to me the skill level between them is not vastly different in most cases to the point where the team is going to win or lose often based on their actual time on ice.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

What about the Blue Guy from Rock 'Em Sock 'Em robots? He had 17 even strength goals last year.

Reactions: will1066 and nyr2k2

Gluten Free Breadman

Mar 9, 2011
ny
I thought McLord was very useful for this team and especially for Quinn. You gotta think outside the box. Quinn LOVES discipline and the Rangers are full of players that need it. You can't just have someone sit in the press box continuously. You gotta mix it up. Stick him with McLeod. Its kind of like the offending player taking a 5 minute major, except that's all the ice time that you're getting, and you're stuck penalty killing the whole time because you're playing with Cody Tanner Glass McLeod.

Surprised Quinn would allow Gorton to trade such a useful player.

Last edited:

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I’d like to do it like Calgary. They don’t carry an enforcer. They’ve had Prout as their 7th defenseman and keep Peluso in reserve with their AHL squad. Really don’t want the McLord’s of the world as a regular even on the 4th line.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The fact he got 1% is pretty ****ing amazing. On the treasure scale, it's the equivalent to walking down the beach and finding 10 pounds of Sperm Whale vomit and selling it for a hundred grand. (true story btw)
Ohhhhhhkayyyyyyyy

Duly noted

(Sounds like an episode of Futurama but I digress)

Reactions: Miamipuck

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

I think because the majority of players here are not hard edged types

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
No matter what you think of Mystery Alaska, you have to admit the scene with Little Richard is the tits.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s good to get something, but not sure if Vinni Lettieri is good enough for NHL at the moment 18 games 0 pts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad