Proposal: McLeod to Habs

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
He meant that despite being RFA, Hischier and Bratt will get good raises that will hinder their ability to add good players. Also, Hall being UFA either means give him a raise (hindering again the ability to add players) or let him leave.

The best time is in the next 2 years. It's still possible afterwards, but you lose the advantage of having 2 of your top players on ELC and may lose Hall.

Sorry there are lots of top teams that resigned their top players and have money to spare. To think New Jersey "can't" just isn't logical, if they want to spend closer to the cap. And players that leave their ELCs, entering their first years of RFA, are not entitled to big money. The players are still under team control for at least four more years, after ELC expire
Are you saying the Leafs window is closing next year because in 2019/20, Matthews are others are entitled to raises?
Having good players earning their good money is not cap hell. Teams that are cap hell are teams that have overpaid players and these players are not tradable without taking equal money back. Think Montreal paying Price/Weber/Alzner 23m

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
You can do all the mental gymnastics you want but I seriously question the credibility and biases of anyone who says they wouldn't trade McLeod for Galchenyuk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
As a devil fan I’d give up McLeod and zacha for gally and like a second maybe. Neither of these 2 are going to pan out to be productive top six forward. Both have good 3rdline / checking forward potential

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
As a devil fan I’d give up McLeod and zacha for gally and like a second maybe. Neither of these 2 are going to pan out to be productive top six forward. Both have good 3rdline / checking forward potential

Gotta give them a chance. Zacha is getting better and better and McLeod hasn’t even played in the NHL besides preseason yet. Just seems like a lateral move at best for us.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
McLeod is going to be a perfect fit for our system, there’s no way we’ll trade him.

I think our interest in Galchenyuk died after we traded for Johansson, he’s not a center and we’ve got ample talent at LW.

The only trade we should make up front is one that swaps Zacha (+picks/prospects) for a bonafide 2C to bump Zajac down a line.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
McLeod is going to be a perfect fit for our system, there’s no way we’ll trade him.

I think our interest in Galchenyuk died after we traded for Johansson, he’s not a center and we’ve got ample talent at LW.

The only trade we should make up front is one that swaps Zacha (+picks/prospects) for a bonafide 2C to bump Zajac down a line.

McLeod is pretty much Miles Wood at C with better hands and a worse shot.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Gotta give them a chance. Zacha is getting better and better and McLeod hasn’t even played in the NHL besides preseason yet. Just seems like a lateral move at best for us.
See everyone keeps saying zacha is getting “better and better” but when’s the last time had a point. The sooner all of you accept that he isn’t an offensive player the better off you’ll be. It sucks, but I’ve accepted it.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I have posted this in the Devils forum about McLeod before as some people seem to be giving up on him. lol
As someone who attends many Steelheads games, I get to see him a lot. He tore it up near the end of last year and carried that team. He was better than Raddyish, Strome and Debrincat. He was a dominating force near the end of the year.
But no so much this year...right? He had a torn miniscus and missed a lot of time, putting way behind everyone who was at the top of their game. I mentioned that when Parise came back from a torn miniscus, being one of the top scorers inthe game before he injury, had 6 points in his first 13 games back.
He is starting to come around again. Had 13 points in his first 11 games. Then went to the world juniors where he was given a checking role. that doesn't mean he wasn't as good offensivly as the other players, it means that he had developed more of a responsible two way game and more reliable compared to the more one dimensional players. He has come back to Mississauga with 9 points in his first 5 back.
The kid is the real deal IMO. He is just what the Devils need. He is incredibly fast and can do some damage when he has the puck and makes everyone around him better. If he doesn't have the puck. he'll get it from you.
Not being biased with McLeod becasue I am a Devil fan. I still think Zacha is garbage. I wanted Barzal. Zacha never stood out to me and still hasn't. Mcleods old teammate and Devils 2nd rounder Nathan bastian will be nothing more than a careeer AHLer or fourth lin NHLer. I've seen just as much as him as I have McLeod. But McLeod IMO has all the tools to be a top line centre. Will he pan out as that? Who knows.
When it comes to Galchecnyuk. I would trade Zacha in a heartbeat. McLeod not at all. Not saying that the value isn't there, I just don't feel we are ready to contend at this time and we are still rebuilding and I am not willing to give up our top prospect

Last edited:

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Horrible for the Habs. How can you say this is close in value lol

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Thanks for sharing! I am curious why NJ invested a decently high pick in BASTIAN. Any idea what they might have seen? That’s not meant to be provocative. You watch that team often and I don’t.
I have yet to see him this year as he is in the AHL, but my take on him is this.
For one, he wasn't really noticeable unless he was on the top line with Mcleaod or Nylander. Normally that is good for a defenseman. I didn't really see any improvement really after his draft year. It could be a case of playing with two top picks in McLeod and Nylander his draft year.
To not notice a kid like 6'3 or 6'4 play against kids is a big question. He was tough along the boards and had the advantage of size. i just feel as though he never intentionally used it to his advantage. He wasn't the fastest skater, but had a decent shot and had pretty good hockey IQ. He was actually a decent playmaker. With that being said, his speed might not be up to par for the NHL game(he may have improved this year IDK) and especialyl playing on a team like NJ which uses speed to his advantage it might be tough to make the cut. If he fills out, learns to use his size and increases his speed he could be a decent player. A good net presence. But he was actually a good two way player. He screams 4th line banger to me. Someone that still has the skill to score the odd goal, by cycling the puck and creating openings with his size and reach. Maybe given the opportinity to move up to the top two lines and help create space. He is good in all facets of the game, but nothing really stood out as being really good. Who knows he could surprise me and be a first liner. I'd prefer that. Nobody expected Bratt to make this team so sometimes differenet players excel in diferent situations.

Reactions: My3Sons

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
What has McLeod done to have the value of an NHLer who even when he struggles, is still a 45 point winger?
Is it any different than if a poster wanted Sanheim from Philly? as if theyd move him for what he has proven he is worth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad