Proposal: McLeod to Habs

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey acquires Alex Galchenyuk in exchange for Michael McLeod.

Why? NJD has the team to make a run this year, and bolsters their scoring without removing any current roster players. Also fills in where Henrique was. NJD was rumored to be interested in Galchenyuk before the season. Timmins was rumored to have wanted McLeod in the 2016 draft and has been fond of him since.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
nj doesn't have to make a run this year, and they have no business in giving up mcleod. bad attempt to try and get a center

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009

Why? NJD has the team to make a run this year, and bolsters their scoring without removing any current roster players. Also fills in where Henrique was. NJD was rumored to be interested in Galchenyuk before the season. Timmins was rumored to have wanted McLeod in the 2016 draft and has been fond of him since.
I call that a stretch. They might not even make the po with 5 teams all less than 4 pts behind.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

NJ essentially has the next three years to build a team, two after this one. Hischier and Bratt become RFAs and Hall is a UFA.

If Montreal offered one-for-one, I think the Devils would think long and hard about doing it. Makes no sense for the Canadiens though.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
NJ essentially has the next three years to build a team. Hischier and Bratt become RFAs and Hall is a UFA.

I don't think you know the definition of "RFA". if you're worried abut that the Devils have just three years to build a team.
Regarding the proposed trade. I'd keep McLeod and with that money that would have been wasted on Chucky, spend his 4.9m (and some more) on a UFA...like Carlson (a Jersey boy) next summer.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Let the Habs stew in their own juices for another year and they can see how great their trading pieces are when they embrace a rebuild. Until then it’s not worth debating.
Your right on one point. It's not worth debating Alex Galchenyuk in exchange for Michael McLeod because the Habs would never do that.M.B. as bad as he is would never do that so what's that tell you about McLeod's value.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Question,Why are you making such bad proposals especially one's that are terrible for the Habs if your a so called Hab fan?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Let the Habs hate flow though you...

Not at all. As a NJ fan I have seen the Habs future. Until the franchise accepts they have to retool they are going to continue to think about competing hard right now. Look, NJ did that for a couple of years before they realized the jig was up and they had to tear it all down to start again. MTL may not et there for two years. I agree Galch is young and should stay a Hab but if they don’t want to sign him as a UFA you will have to cross that bridge when you get there. I beat the MTL franchise no ill will. I just think that the arrogant smarmy responses from MTL fans will get tempered if the team jut cleans house and starts over. Right now I agree trading Galch for a prospect or futures deal doesn’t work for MTL but it might after another season.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Your right on one point. It's not worth debating Alex Galchenyuk in exchange for Michael McLeod because the Habs would never do that.M.B. as bad as he is would never do that so what's that tell you about McLeod's value.

When did I say I thought MTL should make a deal of that nature or even that the in a vacuum value was even? I have nothing emotional invested in this. You seem to be very strident. As a NJ fan I’m used to fans of other teams on this site suggesting every NJ player is garbage or valueless or has unsustainable scoring. HF posturing isn’t real life and real NHL GMs don’t think like fans. Saying this player or that player is hot garbage doesn’t make MTL any better or any other franchise any worse.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
nj doesn't have to make a run this year, and they have no business in giving up mcleod. bad attempt to try and get a center

I know that youre in every habs thread and that all our players are worthless in your mind, but Galchenyuk has value and is still a very good player. Im pretty sure NJ would do this in real world hockey.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Chucky is 23 we should keep him if we are rebuilding.
Due to him starting his NHL career very early as a teenager, Galchenyuk is a UFA in 2.5 years when his contract expires.

Yes he's young, yes he's improving, but in a couple of years, they're gonna have to trade him or lose him for nothing, unless they can convince him to sign an extension.

I'm not necessarily saying that they should trade him, but I want to point out that this is a different situation than it would be with many other 23 year old players.

Montreal has lots of time left to figure this out.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I know that youre in every habs thread and that all our players are worthless in your mind, but Galchenyuk has value and is still a very good player. Im pretty sure NJ would do this in real world hockey.
No they wouldn't. IT wouldn't be smart to trade McLeod and Henrique in the same year. The centre depth wouldn't be very good. Also New Jersey has plenty of wingers. They don't need another one.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't think you know the definition of "RFA". if you're worried abut that the Devils have just three years to build a team.
Regarding the proposed trade. I'd keep McLeod and with that money that would have been wasted on Chucky, spend his 4.9m (and some more) on a UFA...like Carlson (a Jersey boy) next summer.

He meant that despite being RFA, Hischier and Bratt will get good raises that will hinder their ability to add good players. Also, Hall being UFA either means give him a raise (hindering again the ability to add players) or let him leave.

The best time is in the next 2 years. It's still possible afterwards, but you lose the advantage of having 2 of your top players on ELC and may lose Hall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad