McLellan vs Mike Babcock

6 God

Jul 12, 2013
I think it depends if the Leafs blow it up completely. They still have some veteran pieces that can help push for a playoff spot with a few added players. I know it's been said that those players are on their way out, but let's see if that chances with the addition of Babcock.

The Oilers on the other hand have to address 3-4 out of 6 pieces on the back end, and then a goal tender too.

If the Leafs blow it up, then the Oilers. If the Leafs keep what they have and start adding roster players to fill out the holes, then the Leafs. However, if the Leafs do the latter, they won't be winning any playoff series to be honest.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm sure even in an impartial setting this poll would be stilted towards us, but that's just today's reality. After this offseason it could be different. It's not likely imo, but we woul need a new poll in august

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
maybe i shall change the question to - who is going to get fired first? I highly doubt that Babcock is going to finish is current new contract. He may be well done by year 4

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Just because the WC is really good doesn't mean the East is bad. It's still hard to make the playoffs

The Sens won, what, .900% of their games in the latter part of the year with Hammond in goal for most of it.

Again, you can see it in how they play, the teams that find success, the Eastern Conference is not good.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
lol, looks like I am the ONE. The Leafs are not as bad as their total collapse indicates. If they do not go into fire sale rebuild mode they still have a lot of NHL quality players and they play in the East. The Leafs could easily make it next year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Maple Leafs were in a playoff spot midway through the season before falling apart. The season before they were in a playoff spot with less than a month to go in the season before again falling apart. And as Beerfish mentioned, they play in the East which is just not as consistently strong as the West.

If Mike Babcock can prevent that mid to late season collapse that the Leafs have had the past two years, I'd put money on them.

That being said, if Chiarelli can go out and make some big improvements to the roster, I'd change my vote.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
lol, looks like I am the ONE. The Leafs are not as bad as their total collapse indicates. If they do not go into fire sale rebuild mode they still have a lot of NHL quality players and they play in the East. The Leafs could easily make it next year.

This is about it. In the East, they are probably good-ish enough to make the playoffs, but they won't contend for anything.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I voted McLellan but I could see this. Part of it depends on how impressed other teams are with Babcock. For me, I think they won't care that much.

They were in a playoff spot under Carlyle. Maybe under Babcock their losing streaks won't be quite so long.

The rumour is that Toronto will still be selling off players just like Shannahan said they would mid-season, going full-rebuild, but at this point we are going on virtually no info regarding the direction of the Leafs. I doubt getting Babcock was part of Shanny's plan

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If the Oilers were in the East then we probably would have been a playoff team for 5 of the last 9 seasons, Eakins would be considered a genius and Hall, RNH, Ebs and Yak would be PPG players.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wanted TM before, even when we were in the running for Babs. Babcock came off as arrogant and delusional in whole decison

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton

Agreed!!

I'm not a leafs fan at all, but they have some decent players. They just need to fill a few holes and start pulling the rope in the same direction.
They will challenge for a bottom seed playoff spot without too much fixing.

Media has blown the T.O. demise out of proportion because everyone loves a good "Toronto sucks" story!

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Toronto could make the playoffs with the addition of some sandpaper.

The problem is, Kessel at $8mllion a year for 8 years, and Pfaneuf for $7 are just insane, considering currently nobody really considers them as the backbone of a championship team.

That said....

It's very likely if Kessel swapped places with Patrick Kane, or Dion Pfaneuf traded places with Seabrooke, its possible a team like Chicago still wins those cups, and they would be considered an irreplacable part of the core. (While Patrick Kane and Brent Seabrooke would be considered overpriced and overpaid in Toronto).

Maybe Kessel and PFaneuf just need a proper team built around them.

Debonair

PS4
Jul 20, 2004
I think Babcock is a better coach but I think McLellan has a better team and is a much better fit for the Oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad