McLellan impresses in Edmonton so far

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Hey Sharks fans,

Oilers fan here, coming in peace. I wrote a blog on my thoughts on Todd McLellan so far as the new Oilers head coach (see below link if you're interested). I'm super impressed so far - after two straight seasons of Dallas Eakins training camps, this is a breath of fresh air.

Was McLellan always this focused during the past Sharks camps, or had the passion worn off a bit by the end?How's DeBoer's strategy compare so far?

http://alongtheboards.com/2015/09/todd-mclellan-wasting-no-time/

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
No offense intended but I hope we don't have to go through an entire season of comparing the two coaches.

Up to my eyeballs with the Niners and this kind of topic (Harbaugh vs Tomsula).

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
No offense intended but I hope we don't have to go through an entire season of comparing the two coaches.

Up to my eyeballs with the Niners and this kind of topic (Harbaugh vs Tomsula).

Ha, no definitely not going to continue all season. I just wanted some insight into how McLellan has run his camps in SJ in the past. It's so much more efficient than the way Eakins ran them the past two seasons. Very impressed.

And re: Niners... is that even a real debate? Haha.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Focused would definitely be a way to describe McLellan's style. Detailed would be another. He's a focus on the details kinda guy.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Ha, no definitely not going to continue all season. I just wanted some insight into how McLellan has run his camps in SJ in the past. It's so much more efficient than the way Eakins ran them the past two seasons. Very impressed.

And re: Niners... is that even a real debate? Haha.

It is and it's annoying.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
Focused would definitely be a way to describe McLellan's style. Detailed would be another. He's a focus on the details kinda guy.

Definitely have noticed how pointed he is. I'm not sure how much you know about the Eakins-era Oilers, but wow it was brutal. He took the doughnuts away from the media to preach good health, yet he didn't really do anything to prepare his own team - often not even on the ice for practices.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
How I feel about Todd McQuitter

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Definitely have noticed how pointed he is. I'm not sure how much you know about the Eakins-era Oilers, but wow it was brutal. He took the doughnuts away from the media to preach good health, yet he didn't really do anything to prepare his own team - often not even on the ice for practices.

Yeah, doughnuts are not a detail. They are a distraction. Focusing on distractions is what the Sharks were doing last season, and probably why McLellan "mutually agreed to part ways".

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Hey Sharks fans,

Oilers fan here, coming in peace. I wrote a blog on my thoughts on Todd McLellan so far as the new Oilers head coach (see below link if you're interested). I'm super impressed so far - after two straight seasons of Dallas Eakins training camps, this is a breath of fresh air.

Was McLellan always this focused during the past Sharks camps, or had the passion worn off a bit by the end?How's DeBoer's strategy compare so far?

I'm not in the know enough to break down how different head coaches run behind-the-scenes stuff at training camps given different rosters and a few glorified scrimmages.

I will say that under McLellan the Sharks had several strong preseason showings and some memorable hot starts. The Sharks dominated in McLellan's first season behind the bench. He tried re-focusing the team's gameplans on certain aspects over the years and the aforementioned quick starts seem to suggest that his preseason messages were generally received favorably and that most if not all the players seemed to get on board with it. At least to start the season.

FWIW, I don't think passion or teaching or eliciting preseason player commitment was ever McLellan's problem here. His problems (such as they were) would develop towards the middle of the season and into the stretch. TMac might hold players accountable during training camp, but will he still be holding guys like Hall and Eberle accountable for their mistakes in December and January after the initial passion has worn off and guys start slipping back into their old lazy habits?

It's one thing to make public examples out of star players during a training camp practice session as a way of getting everybody's attention and getting them to fall in line. But the bigger test of "accountability" is cutting players' ice time in the middle of the season and moving them down the bench when they aren't performing. You'll find out in time whether that accountability continues. If stars like McDavid, Hall, or Eberle underperform during the regular season, will he actually reduce their playing time and take them off the top line or PP? If veterans like Ference or Hendricks underperform, will he demote them or bench them in favor of younger talent, or will he continue to ride with his underperforming veteran guys?

But those are bridges to be crossed much much later. These are the debateable failings of a veteran coach who wasn't able find a way to push a crop of aging veterans over the last few lengths to the Cup finish line. For where the Oilers franchise is at right now though, just getting the engine started and running smoothly should be good enough. TMac should be focusing on developing an offensive and defensive identity that builds on the players' strengths and getting them to adapt to it. The Oilers could use a passionate start out of the gate to give the fanbase a breath of life and hope, almost regardless of what eventually happens down the stretch. So I think just McLellan will continue to do just fine for awhile.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
another way to describe tmac's pro-cess is that it's ***ing **** *** **** **** and **** *** or **** ************* * ******.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think TMac is a good coach but I do think he is terrible at making adjustments (contrary to what some people here believe). I think despite the Vlasic injury we should have beat LA after going up 3-0. I am putting a lot of blame on us losing that series on TMac. Just my 2 cents.

I expect that Edmonton will do well in the regular season with TMac and the talent Edmonton is loaded with. But when they make the playoffs (in the next couple of years) it will be good to see how TMac adjusts against the likes of a Bowman or Sutter.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
More fundamentally than being bad at adjustments, I think Tmac's systems were too rigid. It seemed like either the process worked or it didn't work at all and not very much in between.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
More fundamentally than being bad at adjustments, I think Tmac's systems were too rigid. It seemed like either the process worked or it didn't work at all and not very much in between.

Your thoughts are in line with mine. He has a system and he sticks to it. If the other team adjusts to that system (over a series), it does not work but TMac is not good enough to make counter adjustments. In todays NHL that is a recipe for disaster.

SacLandshark

Dec 27, 2010
McLellan has always been portrayed as an excellent head coach and I was always a little leery of that praise. He took over a team that was elite at the time. The sharks lost in the 2nd round the year before and finished the season 2nd overall.

I rarely complained about McLellan, but one year, he screwed up BADLY and I wondered why he was never held to account (outside of this forum). I'm no expert and feel that I'm unqualified to judge an NHL head coach (I also feel that almost everyone else here is unqualified not that it stops any of us), but one thing that year was obvious - the Sharks penalty kill was HORRIBLE - one of the worst in the league.

I'm talking about 11-12. Drew always talked about "keeping the box tight" and no passes would go through and this would defeat the opposition's power play. The only problem was that it didn't work. It never worked. All season long the PK was a sieve.

The problem was addressed at the deadline with the acquisition of Daniel Winnick - a SOLID PKer. But during an interview he admitted that he was having 'problems adjusting to the PK system' - that he wasn't used to 'holding back' [in the box while the opposing PP pounded away].

Sharks lost in 5 in the first round of the POs. STL had a crappy PP in the reg season (16.7%) but was 33% against SJ's sieve of a PK.

That PK didn't work in November, didn't work in January, didn't work in March, but that stupid box was clearly evident when the playoffs started and predictably failed miserably.

IMO, a really good coach would have done something about that PK LONG before the playoffs arrived. The blame landed on an ASS coach, but who was THAT coach's boss? McLellan.

I won't say that he's not a good coach, but this episode really bothered me.

If EDM gets to the POs this season, I'll have to let that episode slide and admit that he got an under qualified team into the playoffs - that's certainly something that good coaches do.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Was McLellan always this focused during the past Sharks camps

Yep. He puts in 12+ hour days, as does his staff. Reviewing video, scouting the opponents, etc.

No nonsense kind of guy. And he's got the pedigree to show that hard work and dedication can get you to the playoffs.

The players are buying in and those that don't won't be around long. (Or after some time in the minors to improve their attitude and/or skills.)

I don't know how much input he has on player movements, per se. My guess is that he makes recommendations/requests, but may be at the mercy of the GM WRT who makes the team. (And/or who gets called up for injury replacement.)

Still coming into focus with me. He's my fourth HC.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
I'm not in the know enough to break down how different head coaches run behind-the-scenes stuff at training camps given different rosters and a few glorified scrimmages.

I will say that under McLellan the Sharks had several strong preseason showings and some memorable hot starts. The Sharks dominated in McLellan's first season behind the bench. He tried re-focusing the team's gameplans on certain aspects over the years and the aforementioned quick starts seem to suggest that his preseason messages were generally received favorably and that most if not all the players seemed to get on board with it. At least to start the season.

FWIW, I don't think passion or teaching or eliciting preseason player commitment was ever McLellan's problem here. His problems (such as they were) would develop towards the middle of the season and into the stretch. TMac might hold players accountable during training camp, but will he still be holding guys like Hall and Eberle accountable for their mistakes in December and January after the initial passion has worn off and guys start slipping back into their old lazy habits?

It's one thing to make public examples out of star players during a training camp practice session as a way of getting everybody's attention and getting them to fall in line. But the bigger test of "accountability" is cutting players' ice time in the middle of the season and moving them down the bench when they aren't performing. You'll find out in time whether that accountability continues. If stars like McDavid, Hall, or Eberle underperform during the regular season, will he actually reduce their playing time and take them off the top line or PP? If veterans like Ference or Hendricks underperform, will he demote them or bench them in favor of younger talent, or will he continue to ride with his underperforming veteran guys?

But those are bridges to be crossed much much later. These are the debateable failings of a veteran coach who wasn't able find a way to push a crop of aging veterans over the last few lengths to the Cup finish line. For where the Oilers franchise is at right now though, just getting the engine started and running smoothly should be good enough. TMac should be focusing on developing an offensive and defensive identity that builds on the players' strengths and getting them to adapt to it. The Oilers could use a passionate start out of the gate to give the fanbase a breath of life and hope, almost regardless of what eventually happens down the stretch. So I think just McLellan will continue to do just fine for awhile.

A lot of really good points here, thanks. Hopefully McLellan doesn't back down to these Oilers - they've had an easy ride for a while, so instilling good habits will be a tough thing to do.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
McLellan has always been portrayed as an excellent head coach and I was always a little leery of that praise. He took over a team that was elite at the time. The sharks lost in the 2nd round the year before and finished the season 2nd overall.

I rarely complained about McLellan, but one year, he screwed up BADLY and I wondered why he was never held to account (outside of this forum). I'm no expert and feel that I'm unqualified to judge an NHL head coach (I also feel that almost everyone else here is unqualified not that it stops any of us), but one thing that year was obvious - the Sharks penalty kill was HORRIBLE - one of the worst in the league.

I'm talking about 11-12. Drew always talked about "keeping the box tight" and no passes would go through and this would defeat the opposition's power play. The only problem was that it didn't work. It never worked. All season long the PK was a sieve.

The problem was addressed at the deadline with the acquisition of Daniel Winnick - a SOLID PKer. But during an interview he admitted that he was having 'problems adjusting to the PK system' - that he wasn't used to 'holding back' [in the box while the opposing PP pounded away].

Sharks lost in 5 in the first round of the POs. STL had a crappy PP in the reg season (16.7%) but was 33% against SJ's sieve of a PK.

That PK didn't work in November, didn't work in January, didn't work in March, but that stupid box was clearly evident when the playoffs started and predictably failed miserably.

IMO, a really good coach would have done something about that PK LONG before the playoffs arrived. The blame landed on an ASS coach, but who was THAT coach's boss? McLellan.

I won't say that he's not a good coach, but this episode really bothered me.

If EDM gets to the POs this season, I'll have to let that episode slide and admit that he got an under qualified team into the playoffs - that's certainly something that good coaches do.

Thanks for the input. Yes, I agree - if McLellan coaches THESE Oilers to the postseason, I will declare him a great coach. Haha.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Yes, I think this was his ultimate downfall. He approaches every game, every shift, and every situation the T-Mac way.

I know there were some rumblings that T-Mac was trying to implement changes that the players pushed back on, but even if that is true, that points to the coach's inability to communicate with his players!

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Yes, I think this was his ultimate downfall. He approaches every game, every shift, and every situation the T-Mac way.

It was most evident last season. He completely misused Burns (at least on 5v5), rolled the defense pairs too even, rolled the fourth line too often, etc.

I know there were some rumblings that T-Mac was trying to implement changes that the players pushed back on, but even if that is true, that points to the coach's inability to communicate with his players!

I would agree with that. I would also add that TMac was also put in a situation where the players were not apt to listen thanks to DW grandstanding after the collapse against the Kings. I put blame 33/33/33 on DW, TMac, and the players (they are professionals after all).

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Let's see. Todd says players were told and knew what to do and stopped doing it. Players on several occasions agree that is what was happening. Time to blame the coach.

Good to great coach. Time will tell if he can be a GREAT coach. His time here was done. That's all.

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
Thats nice that you're enjoying McLellan.

Here is what you're going to see at one point or another that will drive you insane.

1. Never coaches a team to put high, aggressive forechecking pressure when your team is capable of doing so or has the opportunity to force a turnover.
2. Never coaches defensemen to disrupt the other team from making clean entries into the zone. Literally, there is no pressure anywhere from the NZ or the Blue line. Its a free entry and free possession time for the other team.

Just points 1 and 2 alone pretty much makes it impossible for your team to go anywhere beyond the conference finals if you even get there.

3. Basically, anyone who steps out of rank of his system when it doesn't work is going to get benched. If they continue to do so, he'll get them traded off. See Jason Demers.
4. Doesn't even try to get the matchup he wants. He'll let the bad matchup continue to be bad. Expect to get scored on when it could have been prevented by executing a line change.
5. Makes no adjustments during a series. No matter what.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
Get ready for the Todd to spin the roulette wheel of lines ups!

Round and Round she goes, Where she stops no one knows!

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I don't think there has ever been any doubt McLellan is an excellent coach. He'll at least help mold the Oilers into a playoff team in the next year or two. The big question for him is his ability to adapt and evolve, as others have said.

I really do believe that he might be the guy to take Edmonton to the playoffs, but someone else might have to be the one to take them to the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad