TSN: McKenzie: Woodcroft Assigned to Bakersfields

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
You Know Katz / Nicholson / Chiarelli, you CAN just FIRE incompetent coaches.... like every other team in the NHL or pro sports does... now you’ve put said incompetent coach in charge of the teams terrible prospects. Good combo brainiacs...

Reactions: PulYou and Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I rather Woodcroft fired but I also wanted our AHL guy gone so....maybe Woodcroft will actually play the prospects down there?

Reactions: Aerrol

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
You Know Katz / Nicholson / Chiarelli, you CAN just FIRE incompetent coaches.... like every other team in the NHL or pro sports does... now you’ve put said incompetent coach in charge of the teams terrible prospects. Good combo brainiacs...
They didn't even have to fire Woodcroft. His contract was up this summer.

Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Gulutzan was in charge of Vancouver's PP in 2013-14 when Tortorella was the head coach. He was retained by Willie Desjardins and ran the PK for two years before the Flames hired him.

2013-14 PP: 15.2% (26th overall), slightly worse than previous season (15.8%, 22nd)
2014-15 PK: 85.7% (2nd overall), improvement from year before (83.2%, t-9th)
2015-16 PK: 81.1% (t-17th overall)

The season after he left, Vancouver's PK dropped to 76.7% (28th).
So he would be the PP guy here most likely. Which seems like he is bad at.

Yikes

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I actually don’t mind it. Fleming out is good. Woodcroft off the big club is good.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wasn't there a story that Woodcroft was a guy who focused players on developing their skills with repetitive drills?

I seem to recall that last season there was story like that floating around. If that's the case, this might be a good move. Just as long as someone else is coaching the PP in Bakersfield.

Also might be good in the sense that he'll be on the same page as Todd at least so maybe that will pay dividends in terms of development.

Fleming seemed to be at odds with organizational philosophy. They seemed to want to focus on development and he, like most coaches, wanted to win.

I heard exactly the same thing. Some people just dont like the man so they arent going to say anything positive.

Like you I also think that this is a positive move. It virtually guarantees continuity of systems between the farm team and the Oilers and it also plays to Woodcrofts strengths.

I would also be happy with Yawney and Gulutzan as Assistants.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
This org is a f***ing joke.

What the hell does it take to actually get someone fired instead of shuffled into a similar position without any consequence? Klowe, McTavish woodcroft... it’s absolutely embarrassing. We have a generational talent and finish bottom 10 in the league, if you can’t fire the coach, at least fire someone. Instead one coach “isn’t renewed” and the other is “demoted” to head coach of our team full of developing prospects. Prospects who we already have trouble developing.

Way to teach everyone there’s no accountability in this organization oilers, I’m sure everyone will really pull up their socks now that the guy who ran one of the worst pps in the league while having the leagues leading scorer on it got shuffled into another cushy spot!

f***ing pathetic. I hate this organization with a passion. I love this team dearly, but this management group is really testing my patience.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I heard exactly the same thing. Some people just dont like the man so they arent going to say anything positive.

Like you I also think that this is a positive move. It virtually guarantees continuity of systems between the farm team and the Oilers and it also plays to Woodcrofts strengths.

I would also be happy with Yawney and Gulutzan as Assistants.

What makes you think this system is worth teaching to anyone, let alone our farm team as well. Was it our goals for? Goals against? Pp? Pk? Solid structure? Our physicality? Ability to crash the net? Our 5 LH shooter mentality?

This is embarrassing an there’s nothing positive about it. The guy deserved to be canned and he got moved into a power of authority over the future of our team. It’s a joke move by a joke management group.

Reactions: PulYou

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What makes you think this system is worth teaching to anyone, let alone our farm team as well. Was it our goals for? Goals against? Pp? Pk? Solid structure? Our physicality? Ability to crash the net? Our 5 LH shooter mentality?

This is embarrassing an there’s nothing positive about it. The guy deserved to be canned and he got moved into a power of authority over the future of our team. It’s a joke move by a joke management group.

I think its a gross oversimplification to blame every issue on the system.

Reactions: Summary

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think its a gross oversimplification to blame every issue on the system.

When half our team has nmcs or are otherwise untradable, you work with what you’ve got. A system change is the only reasonable solution to our issues of last year. God awful teams make it into the playoffs by playing a good systematic game due to great coaching. Discipline is key, and we’ve learned that either Todd can’t impliment a successful system, or the players have tuned him out. Either way, the only viable solution is a change.

Unless Chia manages to turnover most of the roster for people willing to play Todd’s system whatever that may be.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Half measures bull****.
Pretty much.

It doesn't mean it can't work out, but this is just yet another lazy move by the organization.

Seriously, when was the last time this team actually went through a proper interview process where they interviewed multiple candidates and found the best person for the job?

Jay Woodcroft could be a good head coach. Who knows... I'd bet against it personally. But considering how quickly after the season this idea was thrown out there by Stauffer it's pretty clear the organization had no interest in seeing if anyone else in the hockey world was suited for the job.

Reactions: Aerrol and Samus44

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The move is very Katz era Oilers. No firings, just shuffling of personnel. It speaks to Chia probably not placing the blame 100% on the PPs failures since he's still willing to give him a shot in Bako. He might have a point though cause Woodcroft did run a decent PP the year earlier... also, it's hard looking at the personnel on the PP and be able to place 100% blame on a Woodcroft. You have ZERO shot from the back end on that PP, no PP QB defencemen, and our net front presence Lucic has Stone hands. Also, there's no right shot one timer. It's not really a PP with the personnel to be successful. Maybe that she's why Woodcroft could never fix it after admittedly trying a lot of different things.

At the end of the day though no one knows if this will be a good move until we see it all play out in action. It's obvious Bako needed to get rid of their coach so atleast that happened. It's obvious a message of change needed to be sent to fans regarding the Oilers failures last year, that has happened.

I never liked Gulatzen in Calgary, but maybe he can run a PP. the PK was horrid this year again and I think part of the reason for that is expecting your 12.5M dollar player to be out there blocking shots. That's never made sense to me, was that a McLEllan decision or the PK coaches decision? Who knows, there's never enough info on the internal workings of the team for any fan to make any real conclusions as to the why's and how's of failure.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Pretty much.

It doesn't mean it can't work out, but this is just yet another lazy move by the organization.

Seriously, when was the last time this team actually went through a proper interview process where they interviewed multiple candidates and found the best person for the job?

Jay Woodcroft could be a good head coach. Who knows... I'd bet against it personally. But considering how quickly after the season this idea was thrown out there by Stauffer it's pretty clear the organization had no interest in seeing if anyone else in the hockey world was suited for the job.

Sounds like part of Nicholson's "plan" that we are all going to be happy about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad