TSN: McKenzie on the Coyotes at the TDL - Describes OEL as "untouchable"

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yes. I agree. :)

However, if you rank them based on perceived value/potential/hype during their draft years, many folks like Dahlin as a draft eligible player more than they liked Matthews as a draft eligible player.
I wonder how much of that has to do with the AZ factor. I know Matthews was in the USA development system by the time the #1 overall hype started building but still he had more of an unknown quality than your typical super prospect. Then there was that atypical Switzerland path as well. Plus there was a ton of hype around Laine after the WJC's. So far in this draft it's Dahlin and everyone else. I don't know, I admit I haven't watched Dahlin much but I just can't imagine him having an impact the way Matthews has at all.

Agree draft hype was insane for McDavid. I myself think Matthews is the best player in the game today.
If somehow we were offered the chance to have either one I must admit I'd think very hard about it. I'd probably go with McDavid ultimately but it wouldn't be a slam dunk at all. I love the way Matthews plays the game and he's built like a football player. Kids a true beast!

As a Leaf's fan first and Coyotes second I'll try to stop laughing as I write this affirmative NO.
This...this explains a lot.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I wonder how much of that has to do with the AZ factor. I know Matthews was in the USA development system by the time the #1 overall hype started building but still he had more of an unknown quality than your typical super prospect. Then there was that atypical Switzerland path as well. Plus there was a ton of hype around Laine after the WJC's. So far in this draft it's Dahlin and everyone else. I don't know, I admit I haven't watched Dahlin much but I just can't imagine him having an impact the way Matthews has at all.

If somehow we were offered the chance to have either one I must admit I'd think very hard about it. I'd probably go with McDavid ultimately but it wouldn't be a slam dunk at all. I love the way Matthews plays the game and he's built like a football player. Kids a true beast!

This...this explains a lot.
It's not news, I've written it 20 times on here. It explains how I watch each team's players more than most.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well as not a Toronto fan but living in Canada (so I cant escape Maple Leaf news) I would suggest the time to acquire Nylander in any deal has passed. He is forming a lethal duo with Matthews. They will likely be leading the Leafs for the next many years.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Are Hickey and Madsen available for Tucson's playoffs if they're signed?
Also, would Dineen and Steenbergen be available if their teams get knocked out?
Coyotes should maybe get some AHL reinforcements at the deadline, but they might already have some coming?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
How about this....
Domi and Strome to Toronto for Nylander and Leivo

That's a firm no from TO. They probably wouldn't even consider seeing how Strome still cant cut it in the NHL and Domi is having a horrible season.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I don't think many fans give Matthews enough credit for just how good he is. He is just so cerebral that he doesn't show as well as McDavid but he does everything very very well. His shot is off the charts good. He will be in the Hart conversation for years to come.

At this point, if people still don't realize how good Matthew's is, they either do so due to allegiance to a specific team/player, or they just don't know hockey.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Is it possible to realize how good Matthews is and still prefer McDavid? Or does that mean I'm biased and/or ignorant?
I still think McDavid is the best player in the world but the play of Matthews at least makes it a conversation when it looked like last year there was no discussion needed. I know Crosby is also very much in the conversation. The difference between Matthews and McDavid IMO is that McDavid does not seem to elevate others as well as Matthews does but it's early in career for both.

Reactions: RABBIT

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Is it possible to realize how good Matthews is and still prefer McDavid? Or does that mean I'm biased and/or ignorant?

I didn't even mention McDavid in my post. I don't believe I've ever said Matthews is better, either. I prefer Matthews over McDavid, but I'd never say he's better as I don't think you can actually prove he is. They are both among the best.

But there are still people arguing if he'll be better than Laine long term or if he is even on McDavid's level. That is what I find silly.

If you'd like to feel like I'm attacking your opinion, though, feel free.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
One thing I love about Matthews is that he plays the kind of game that won't disappear in the playoffs, especially in conjunction with his build. I expect he's going to be a playoff performer for the bulk of his career. He's the opposite of a shrinking violet.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Saw a quickly-deleted tweet from someone claiming a "TSN Insider" reported that the Coyotes offered OEL to the Islanders for Josh Ho-Sang and a 1st, but the Islanders declined.

This, of course, is patently ridiculous, for no other reason than the fact that anyone running the Islanders, had they received this offer and declined it, would have been fired three milliseconds later. But apparently this is the kind of thing we're going to have to deal with until after the deadline. Or the draft. Or...

Buckle up, boys and girls, because it's gonna get a lot bumpier. :mad:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No, that is your opinion, and one I agree with. I would take McDavid every day of the week on twice on Sunday. Matthews is right behind McDavid and better than Eichel.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Saw a quickly-deleted tweet from someone claiming a "TSN Insider" reported that the Coyotes offered OEL to the Islanders for Josh Ho-Sang and a 1st, but the Islanders declined.

This, of course, is patently ridiculous, for no other reason than the fact that anyone running the Islanders, had they received this offer and declined it, would have been fired three milliseconds later. But apparently this is the kind of thing we're going to have to deal with until after the deadline. Or the draft. Or...

Buckle up, boys and girls, because it's gonna get a lot bumpier. :mad:

My personal opinion? It's going to be a quiet deadline besides maybe Rieder or Schenn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad