TSN: McKenzie: "Myers could be had," speculates EDM; "Murray's shopping for primo picks"

ZeroPT*

Myers has the 17th highest cap hit among defensemen.He absolutely is being paid as a #1 dman. There is just one team that has 2 Dmen with higher cap hits then Myers and thats Chicago with Seabrook and Keith.A #3 dman is not paid 5.5 cap hit,more like 4.0.Myers 5.5 cap hit also places him in the top 3 cap hits on 21 of the 30 teams in the whole league.Myers isn't paid like a #3 dman on a regular team, he is being paid as a top 3 player on over 2/3rds of the teams.

Are we just going to ignore bridge deals?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Are we just going to ignore bridge deals?

Ok, aside from a few obvious ones like Subban,what other bridge deals are out there?Regardless,Myers will still be in the top 20-30 for dmen cap hit at the start of next year after those aforementioned bridge deals are over and the dmen sign long term deals, which makes him by definition paid as a #1 dman.Even with a $71 million dollar cap, Myers still takes up nearly 8% of a teams cap.To say he is being paid as anything other then a #1 dman is patently false.A cup contending team cannot afford to have a "#3" dman being paid 8% of a team's cap.

Also, there are few dmen ahead of him currently who will not be in the near future.Bouwmeester has a 6+ cap hit on his current deal,but the new one he signed brings his cap hit to 5.4, which is less then Myers.Kimmo Timmonen is on a one year deal at 6.0,he will either retire or sign for less.Dan Boyle is 38 and will retire soon and his deal is also up.Same with Andrei Markov, his deal is up and he will not be getting more then 5.5 again.

So yeah, bridge deals are irrelevant because the players on them who will sign long term for 5.5 or more will just take the place of dmen on the list who will be retiring or signing for less then their current #.It's a near certainty that for 2014-2015 Myers will still be in the top 20 for dmen cap hits.

Last edited:

ZeroPT*

Ok, aside from a few obvious ones like Subban,what other bridge deals are out there?Regardless,Myers will still be in the top 20-30 for dmen cap hit at the start of next year after those aforementioned bridge deals are over and the dmen sign long term deals, which makes him by definition paid as a #1 dman.Even with a $71 million dollar cap, Myers still takes up nearly 8% of a teams cap.To say he is being paid as anything other then a #1 dman is patently false.A cup contending team cannot afford to have a "#3" dman being paid 8% of a team's cap.

Also, there are few dmen ahead of him currently who will not be in the near future.Bouwmeester has a 6+ cap hit on his current deal,but the new one he signed brings his cap hit to 5.4, which is less then Myers.Kimmo Timmonen is on a one year deal at 6.0,he will either retire or sign for less.Dan Boyle is 38 and will retire soon and his deal is also up.Same with Andrei Markov, his deal is up and he will not be getting more then 5.5 again.

So yeah, bridge deals are irrelevant because the players on them who will sign long term for 5.5 or more will just take the place of dmen on the list who will be retiring or signing for less then their current #.It's a near certainty that for 2014-2015 Myers will still be in the top 20 for dmen cap hits.

What's irrelevant in this discussion is him being un the top 20 among defensman in terms of salary because there are many many players who are better than Myers yet make less money. OEL,McD,Hedman,Yandle,Bieksa and the Ehrhoff (who you argued is better than Myers on the trade board) come to mind off top of my head.

Being payed as a 1D is 6.5M+ minimum.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Loving TM so far. Seems like he has a pair as big as his eyes. Looks to me like he wants to setup, the biggest gank move of all time:

SR
SB
LD

CM\JE
:headache: In other words, .... **** off with your money for the next two-plus years then see you in 2016-2017.

I will do exactly that if the course remains without a compete-hard Nolan at the helm. I want at least a 50-50 chance at winning each home game!

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
:headache: In other words, .... **** off with your money for the next two-plus years then see you in 2016-2017.

I will do exactly that if the course remains without a compete-hard Nolan at the helm. I want at least a 50-50 chance at winning each home game!

We do not have a 50/50 chance of winning each home game. Let's not overrate Nolan's coaching ability please. Anyhow, I wouldn't blame anyone if they didn't want to spend money on the team until they're decent again, but I doubt the organization really gives a damn. I hope they don't, at least. They have to do what's best for the rebuild, not what makes fans happy this year.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I am salivating at the idea of trading Myers for a top 3 pick, taking Ekblad with our 1st and then either Sam with the pick we get for Myers. Also we would have Ekblad on an ELC for 3 seasons and also would be guaranteed at the very least two more seasons of team control. Myers deal is up in 5 years and will likely want a raise from 5.5 to 7+.

A top 4 consisting of Aaron Ekblad (1996), Rasmus Ristolainen (1994), Nikita Zadorov (1995) and Mark Pysyk (1992) has me giddy. That doesn't even take into account Ehrhoff who is signed for 7 more years too. The 4 I listed could very well be the best 1-4 D in the entire league and each one a legitimate top pairing dman ( Ekblad as a Norris type dman, Risto and Zads as high end #1s and Pysyk as a top #2 dman.All 4 would be in their early to mid 20s when we are contending and we can augment the other 2 D spots with older vets, like Ehrhoff and another good vet dmen, preferably a bruiser). Then draft Reinhart or Bennett and I think it helps our rebuild even more. Myers is already 24. By the time we are ready to contend for cups in 3-4 years, do we want a near 30 year old Myers or a 22-23 year old Ekblad who is 6 full years younger and has an even higher ceiling? Especially since I think Ekblad has a better chance of being a true elite Norris caliber dman and will be better then Myers over the long haul. Myers has been pretty good this year but he is no where near as good as a lot of Sabre fans have said be has been this year. Some people make it sound like he has been a Norris caliber dman all year when its just not true.

Myers has the 17th highest cap hit among defensemen.He absolutely is being paid as a #1 dman. There is just one team that has 2 Dmen with higher cap hits then Myers and thats Chicago with Seabrook and Keith.A #3 dman is not paid 5.5 cap hit,more like 4.0.Myers 5.5 cap hit also places him in the top 3 cap hits on 21 of the 30 teams in the whole league.Myers isn't paid like a #3 dman on a regular team, he is being paid as a top 3 player on over 2/3rds of the teams.

Just so we're clear, do you:
1. Prefer Ekblad to Myers based on your valuation of their repsective projected talents 3-4 years from now?
2. Prefer Ekblad to Myers because he (AE) will be cheaper than Myers (in actual dollars)?
3. Prefer Ekblad to Myers because he (AE) will have a lower cap hit in 3-4 years?
4. Prefer Ekblad to Myers because he (AE) will not be paid like a #1D for ~7 years, regardless of whether either of them ever plays like a #1D?
5. Prefer Ekblad to Myers because he (AE) may someday be a Norris defenseman?
6. Prefer Ekblad to Myers because Myers, in your view, isn't earning his salary?
7. Simply hate Myers.
8. All of the above.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
A highly inconsistent oft injured player with great peaks and low valleys

More like "a consistent minute eating steady defenseman who can dominate at both ends with his nasty combination of skating, skill, and size & physicality". He has just been pushing people around this year and his maturity growth not only in his play but in his demeanor has been tremendous.

There is certainly a risk with Myers that he could regress and not keep this up, and that is a valid point considering his past. But to say he has not been a great player this year is just wrong. If he was on a successful team with some offense his numbers would skyrocket. There seems to have been many games this year where he has been the best player on the ice, dominating in both ends and looking better than his rookie year.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
More like "a consistent minute eating steady defenseman who can dominate at both ends with his nasty combination of skating, skill, and size & physicality". He has just been pushing people around this year and his maturity growth not only in his play but in his demeanor has been tremendous.

There is certainly a risk with Myers that he could regress and not keep this up, and that is a valid point considering his past. But to say he has not been a great player this year is just wrong. If he was on a successful team with some offense his numbers would skyrocket. There seems to have been many games this year where he has been the best player on the ice, dominating in both ends and looking better than his rookie year.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I simply cannot share it even at my most optimistic given my own observations of this year and prior taken as context. He's better than past years but I think it's the relative change that has some going wild rather than general progress.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I simply cannot share it even at my most optimistic given my own observations of this year and prior taken as context. He's better than past years but I think it's the relative change that has some going wild rather than general progress.

Agreed to a point but I don't see how you wouldn't say that he is a good player

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Agreed to a point but I don't see how you wouldn't say that he is a good player

I suppose it's semantics. He's got incredible talent and potential but until he finds consistency or at the very least knocks off the terrible stretches I can't really consider him a "good" player.

"Good" for me isn't an indicator of innate ability but the ability to maintain acceptable to peak performance given the skillset

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I suppose it's semantics. He's got incredible talent and potential but until he finds consistency or at the very least knocks off the terrible stretches I can't really consider him a "good" player.

"Good" for me isn't an indicator of innate ability but the ability to maintain acceptable to peak performance given the skillset

He's been very good, and at some points dominant, pretty much this whole year. I'd say his last "terrible" stretch was last year.

He may/may not reach that #1 Franchise D man talent, but if he continues to play like he has this year, I think it's safe to at least call him "good."

As a separate point, my prediction is Myers is not moved.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
You're watching the wrong games. Those games are on your DVR from last years season. Please start watching games on your DVR from this years season and then get back to us.

someone can disagree from the same sample hth

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
We're literally looking at the same source and coming to different conclusions at what point is argument relevant or even deserving of existence

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007
Totally agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad