TSN: McKenzie: "Myers could be had," speculates EDM; "Murray's shopping for primo picks"

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I guess Bobby Mac just said there could be something with Myers and Edmontons pick on TSN ..

MOD EDIT: I brought this discussion from the GDT

MOD EDIT #2:
TSN segment = Playing the Lottery ... McKenzie basically said Murray's got it out there that Myers could be had for the right offer. He then speculates that Edmonton could use a big defenseman like Myers and adds further that he believes Murray's shopping for (up to three) primo picks in this draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think it would set our rebuild back a few years as defenseman take awhile to develop. Myers will be hitting his prime once this team is ready for contending.

If he was traded and we ended up drafting both Sams. I fail to see how adding those two elite level offensive talents would set our rebuild back.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
If he was traded and we ended up drafting both Sams. I fail to see how adding those two elite level offensive talents would set our rebuild back.

Really? Just look at the Oilers. Hall/Eberle/RNH/Yakupov/Perron and still cannot make the playoffs.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

Because it will then take more time for our D to develop. Risto/Zads/Pysyk/McCabe/etc. may very well become top pairing guys, but as we saw with Myers, it can take several years. Meanwhile, forwards tend to contribute quicker...so by dealing Myers you're gonna end up in a situation not quite as bad as Edmonton but similar--your forward core is ready to contend, but your D is lagging.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

Our defence would consist of a 32 year old Ehrhoff, a crappy Weber/McBain, and a bunch of young guys.

We need to keep our good defenseman who is near a prime age.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Our defence would consist of a 32 year old Ehrhoff, a crappy Weber/McBain, and a bunch of young guys.

We need to keep our good defenseman who is near a prime age.

So we'll suck again next year...just like we'll suck next year if we keep Myers and draft one forward... I fail to see how it "set backs" the rebuild

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
You've got to be kidding me comparing the situations.

But this attitude doesn't shock me.
I agree, If you can pickup both Sams and the Islanders defer to 15 I can't see how that wouldn't be one of the best outcomes for the Sabres

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Because it will then take more time for our D to develop. Risto/Zads/Pysyk/McCabe/etc. may very well become top pairing guys, but as we saw with Myers, it can take several years. Meanwhile, forwards tend to contribute quicker...so by dealing Myers you're gonna end up in a situation not quite as bad as Edmonton but similar--your forward core is ready to contend, but your D is lagging.

The idea that moving Myers in and of itself throws our world into chaos is a bit ridiculous. Our forward group is quite a ways away from being the type that can contend. So adding high end players at the top of the draft helps things. Plus the Oilers issues go beyond the simplification your putting put there. There forward group is pretty much all offensive players, they have few if any two way forwards. Their defense sucks and has little coming to help.

If you don't want to trade Myers because you feel he could be a key piece. I get that and could probably be swayed by it. But you can save the melodramatic Oilers analogy. It doesn't hold water IMO.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Edmonton's pick for Myers could be as high as his value ever gets. Even if plays next season they way he did how many guys are traded for a top 3 pick like that? It's something you really have to consider considering how inconsistent Myers has been in his career. I'm not sold on Myers ever being a top 3 guy but as other posters have said if Myers is our 3rd or 4th defensemen the team will likely be elite. With the cap going up Myers is very affordable as our 3-4 guy at his cap hit which makes it an even more intriguing. I don't think it sets the rebuild back at all trading him but it's not an easy situation to decide on. If anything it accelerates Edmonton's rebuild which is why Myers' value may never be higher than it is this off season. Lowe probably wants to save his ass and doesn't want to try and sell another top 3 pick that has to develop.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The idea that moving Myers in and of itself throws our world into chaos is a bit ridiculous. Our forward group is quite a ways away from being the type that can contend. So adding high end players at the top of the draft helps things. Plus the Oilers issues go beyond the simplification your putting put there. There forward gourd is pretty much all offensive players, they have few if any two way forwards. Their defense sucks and has little coming to help.

I think the forward core will be ready sooner than our D core as is.

Say we take 3 forwards with our next 2 1st rounders and the Islanders pick (whichever year). We should get two guys who can contribute pretty quickly (3 if the Isles pick ends up being high). You've already got some young NHL talent in Hodgson, Ennis, and Girgensons. Grigorenko and Armia should both hopefully be ready in a few years to take a bigger role.

It's not that losing Myers throws everything into chaos. It's that it might take 5 years for one of the kids to replace the role he can play right now. Given that I think our forward core will turn out OK with the picks we currently have, I'm more inclined to stay the course.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Edmonton's pick for Myers could be as high as his value ever gets. Even if plays next season they way he did how many guys are traded for a top 3 pick like that? It's something you really have to consider considering how inconsistent Myers has been in his career. I'm not sold on Myers ever being a top 3 guy but as other posters have said if Myers is our 3rd or 4th defensemen the team will likely be elite. With the cap going up Myers is very affordable as our 3-4 guy at his cap hit which makes it an even more intriguing. I don't think it sets the rebuild back at all trading him but it's not an easy situation to decide on. If anything it accelerates Edmonton's rebuild which is why Myers' value may never be higher than it is this off season. Lowe probably wants to save his ass and doesn't want to try and sell another top 3 pick that has to develop.

Agreed.

Im not sure if I do it...but I don't see it as setting the rebuild back either.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So your saying Risto/Zadarov will be a top pairing in 2-4 years? Doubt it.

You're not quite getting the point.

We can argue in circles about when or if Pysyk, Risto, Zadorov or even McCabe will become top pairing dmen. But the have that potential.

We have ZERO elite offensive talents in our system or on our team. We need them.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Well said

Another thing that concerns me with Myers is his developing injury issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad