Confirmed with Link: McKenzie: Brett Connolly 2 year extension 1.5 AAV

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
They've all sourced McKenzie I believe.

Could be another Belanger.

washington post
Forward Brett Connolly has re-signed with the Washington Capitals on a two-year, $3 million deal that will carry an annual cap hit of $1.5 million, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.

Connolly is the first of Washington’s five restricted free agents from last season’s NHL roster to be extended. On Monday afternoon, the team didn’t extend a qualifying offer to the 25-year-old winger, but the expectation was that Connolly would be re-signed before he became an unrestricted free agent on Sunday. Less than five hours later, the two sides reportedly reached an agreement.

nbc sports
On Monday night the team reportedly did just that.

According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie the Capitals have agreed to terms with Connolly on a two-year contract that will pay him an average annual salary of $1.5 million per season.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
By my calculations we need to change Orpik's contract to something close to 4M and then we will have about 500k of space with 23 man roster. I could be wrong, but we need something done to sign Williams for 1M more than Connolly (2,5M for to say).

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I don't think there's any reason to downgrade it until someone reports otherwise.
Should have been a rumor from the start. Confirmed to me means something from the team. Essentially, the thread changes from Rumor to Confirmed once the team makes an announcement.

McKenzie is almost always right, so it usually isn't an issue, but he does miss on occasion. No harm in having and following set rules on this, especially if it's as easy as clicking a drop down to change it.

:shrug:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Technically still a report from a single source that's usually reliable. Going to leave it as "rumor" until the team gives final confirmation.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Who knows what's going on but its odd since Mckenzie is usually always right and heck the caps announced djoos signing a week ago so it can't be like they forgot or Connolly wasant important enough

Haven't heard anything from the Caps reporters either. Vogel, Isabell, JJ, and Tarik have kinda just let it go by the wayside. They are all very plugged in but haven't done much on this outside of reporting what McKenzie said.

Can't imagine Connolly has much trade value outside of a throw in to a package of Grubauer and Bowey

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sign and trade?
More likely IMO this is something they're waiting to finalize until a precursor trade is made to clear out some salary. I have little doubt this agreement is accurate but it doesn't mean it's 100% done just because an agreement has been reached between both parties. 99% of the time it is and there's soon after a press release from the team but not this time.

As mentioned earlier, there was also an agreement reached with Belanger at the time but it was contingent upon them making a trade that never materialized. Fishman is still handling contracts so I don't doubt it's a possibility here yet again. Until they submit the paperwork to the league it's not done. Until they announce it it's not confirmed. Again, I don't doubt that McKenzie has heard correctly but there's got to be a reason to delay before finalizing it.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
More likely IMO this is something they're waiting to finalize until a precursor trade is made to clear out some salary. I have little doubt this agreement is accurate but it doesn't mean it's 100% done just because an agreement has been reached between both parties. 99% of the time it is and there's soon after a press release from the team but not this time.

As mentioned earlier, there was also an agreement reached with Belanger at the time but it was contingent upon them making a trade that never materialized. Fishman is still handling contracts so I don't doubt it's a possibility here yet again. Until they submit the paperwork to the league it's not done. Until they announce it it's not confirmed. Again, I don't doubt that McKenzie has heard correctly but there's got to be a reason to delay before finalizing it.

Well they just resigned Copley a few mins ago. Maybe it's a grubauer package

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rs-a-look-at-the-capitals-plans/?tid=sm_tw_ps
Washington’s moves Saturday will likely consist of officially re-signing Connolly and perhaps adding some players to restock its American Hockey League affiliate in Hershey. The Capitals will then hope young players from within the franchise will be better fits than the aging options available in free agency.
If it doesn't happen tomorrow I'd wonder. It may be just as simple as not wanting the cap space set aside should 92/65/31 come in higher. They really shouldn't set aside from valuable room for him at 3LW when Vrana could replace much of his production for ~$700k less than what's been reported. It's not much but it could be key.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Well with the Orlov signing this will be the team

Burakovsky(2.5) Backstrom Oshie
Ov Kuz(6.25) Mojo
Vran Eller Wilson
Stephenson Beagle Connolly

Orlov Niskanen
Djoos Carlson
Orpik Bowey
Chorney

Holtby
Copley

Leaves us with 200k in cap. Not enough for grubauer unless he signs for less than a million

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Well with the Orlov signing this will be the team

Burakovsky(2.5) Backstrom Oshie
Ov Kuz(6.25) Mojo
Vran Eller Wilson
Stephenson Beagle Connolly

Orlov Niskanen
Djoos Carlson
Orpik Bowey
Chorney

Holtby
Copley

Leaves us with 200k in cap. Not enough for grubauer unless he signs for less than a million

With this lineup, even placing 3rd in the Metro will be a challenge. Neither Djoos or Bowey, are ready. Only one Hershey guy will be the #6 D. If nothing is done with Orpik, then you have to pair him with Carlson, unless another d-man is brought in via trade or free agency.

The top 6 forwards looks awful minus Oshie. Oshie, is the only one that goes to net consistently. Not replacing Williams will leave a huge void in vet leadership, as the core forward players hockey IQ is not that good.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Will the great Brett Connolly mystery finally be solved today?!

unsolved-mysteries-theme.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad