Confirmed with Link: McKenzie: Brett Connolly 2 year extension 1.5 AAV

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
In a vacuum it's a fine deal given his production over his career but I still don't know where he fits in the lineup with Trotz at the helm. Neither he nor Vrana seem like fourth liners under Trotz and I find it hard to believe they aren't going to give Wilson every opportunity to be a top 9 RW.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm really surprised by this. He was benched in the playoffs for lack of offense and he's got no real defensive game to stand on, so where does he fit?

Seems like they just signed him to have a body?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Interesting that he'd want to resign here given that Trotz showed zero faith in him throughout the season. Also, again, pretty much confirms that J Dub is gone unless other salary is moved out.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Unless Vrana steps it up over the off-season he'll start the season back in his third line spot, no?

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It kind of blows my mind that Connolly is only 25? Not saying "he's young! untapped potential!" or anything, I just feels like (to me) that he's been in the league much longer than that? I mean, he's younger than Mojo. Same age as Kuzzy, Grubby, and Orlov.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It kind of blows my mind that Connolly is only 25? Not saying "he's young! untapped potential!" or anything, I just feels like (to me) that he's been in the league much longer than that? I mean, he's younger than Mojo. Same age as Kuzzy, Grubby, and Orlov.

Probably because he looks 35.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Or by having him signed they can now move someone else out. Who knows
The only forward that somewhat makes sense to deal after this move is Vrana, assuming Connolly is meant to join Wilson on the third line. I doubt they're going to want to subtract a proven, albeit not entirely ideal, player in Johansson largely for cap reasons.

Maybe they're gearing up to try to move out Orpik, Vrana and something else to bring Schmidt back. Or in a deal with another team for a LD.

Something has to give as they're cutting it awfully close in merely being able to get the RFAs done and add in Djoos and Bowey on the cheap for the third pair.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The only forward that somewhat makes sense to deal after this move is Vrana, assuming Connolly is meant to join Wilson on the third line. I doubt they're going to want to subtract a proven, albeit not entirely ideal, player in Johansson largely for cap reasons.

Maybe they're gearing up to try to move out Orpik, Vrana and something else to bring Schmidt back. Or in a deal with another team for a LD.

Something has to give as they're cutting it awfully close in merely being able to get the RFAs done and add in Djoos and Bowey on the cheap for the third pair.

could be. connolly can play where vrana was going to be. graovac or liam obrien comes up to play 4th line and just need a 2 rw

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

With the Methot trade, that frees Vegas of 4.9, so their current cap space is now at 8.7. So they have room for Orpik's salary. Based on the other trades GMGM has made, Orpik/Vrana should get it done.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
With the Methot trade, that frees Vegas of 4.9, so their current cap space is now at 8.7. So they have room for Orpik's salary. Based on the other trades GMGM has made, Orpik/Vrana should get it done.

maybe the methot trade and connolly signage were the precursors :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad