Post-Game Talk: McJesus goes to Washington 7PM (oshie out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhuen

Secretary of Defense
Apr 10, 2011
Tucson via Spokane
He isn't doing anything positive right now, so it cannot get worse than that. I don't think it's a permanent state. Just 6 weeks ago he was incredible when he was trying to get to 1000 points. Something happened during that time, it has to be an injury.

Then we seriously need to get him out of the lineup and on IR. If it is an injury, the only thing I can see happening is it potentially getting worse (from an additional shot or hit, etc.) or him suffering a new injury on top of it.

Keeping him in the lineup when he has not only played poorly for weeks now, but has become a defensive liability, makes zero sense to me. Better to have him heal up in time for the PO than risk anything worse happening in the interim.

We'll absolutely need him come April, we don't absolutely need him now.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
To be clear, I don't think Barber made any particularly poor plays (egregious turnovers, being way out of position, etc). But he didn't show any ability to sustain possessions in the offensive zone, nor did he show any offensive flashes. They need more than a warm body from players who are going to be part of their cup run.

He'll get another chance tomorrow. Hopefully it goes better.

Yeah, Barber did not stand out in any way. But probably it's more of a credit to him for not making any big mistakes -- this was a very fast game to jump into from AHL. For a guy that's not clearly elite at anything, you'd figure even if he does make it into the NHL, it will be a gradual process...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Then we seriously need to get him out of the lineup and on IR. If it is an injury, the only thing I can see happening is it potentially getting worse (from an additional shot or hit, etc.) or him suffering a new injury on top of it.

Keeping him in the lineup when he has not only played poorly for weeks now, but has become a defensive liability, makes zero sense to me. Better to have him heal up in time for the PO than risk anything worse happening in the interim.

We'll absolutely need him come April, we don't absolutely need him now.

The injuries to Burakovsky and now Oshie have forced Trotz's hand. Oshie got injured multiple times this year already, but Ovechkin is our 3rd most important player right after Backstrom and Holtby. I think Trotz needs to reach out to Vrana and offer him the opportunity to compete for a top 9 spot with all the injuries, and we give Ovi the rest he needs.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Caps win! :)

It'll be tough tomorrow in Nashville. Back to back game on the road and the squad is pretty banged up right now.

Sure hope Ovie gets out of his funk soon. If it's an injury, sit him for a few games.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Kuzya was flying all night long.

Carlson with 27+ minutes for the second game in a row. Don't like it before the PO.

Not impressed by Edmonton, and they're on of the best teams in the west, could washington change their division and conference please? :sarcasm:.

They were dangerous like for the first 10 minutes, before the Willy's goal.
Their only weapon is the speed, but you cannot do much just with the speed. You need skill too. So you need just to turn off McDavid.

ps: shouldn't the oilers goal be unassisted?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sure hope Ovie gets out of his funk soon. If it's an injury, sit him for a few games.

He can play. It might be reducing his effectiveness but he is still putting up a point per game over the last 20 or so games. Sitting would mean another call up which would reduce the Caps cap space to acquire depth at the deadline.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
Good win

FYI Tom Wilson will be appearing at the Burtonsville Giant from 5-6 pm next Friday, based on an advertisement shown during the game. Visit him if interested and get an autograph.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Good win

FYI Tom Wilson will be appearing at the Burtonsville Giant from 5-6 pm next Friday, based on an advertisement shown during the game. Visit him if interested and get an autograph.

That's just miles away from the Gardens Ice House, for those who care

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Kuzya was flying all night long.

Carlson with 27+ minutes for the second game in a row. Don't like it before the PO

ps: shouldn't the oilers goal be unassisted?

No idea why assists were awarded on Draisatl's goal, other than league wants McJesus to get to 100 by hook or crook. Looked like a straight cough-up by Williams.

Carlson better last night than Wednesday, but he was part of the collective brain fart that produced the Oilers goal. Maybe he should be instructed to just shoot the puck no higher or wider than the goalie's belly. Would cut down on the. Number of wise right and wide left field goals he's been launching.

Kuzy looked very psyched about the McDavid matchup. Seemed like it harkened back to a Canada Russia thing.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I would have picked 43 as player of the game. As great as 92 looked, it never turned into anything

His forechecking was vicious. Takeaway stats are notoriously flawed but on one key shift late in the game he made 2 individual plays to gain possession of the puck and keep the Oilers from leading a breakout the other way.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I would still like to see more from Wilson in terms of sustained possessions. I don't think he's very effective on the cycle.

His defensive zone game and PKing are assets.

This is a joke, right? He's been great on the boards and in converting that work to chances for his linemates--all of whom are benefiting from his play--for some time now.

Ovi can't be any worse than he is now, he just hit rock bottom. Whatever it is that's affecting his play, it can only get better, especially with the rest of the team being there to support him. I think Ovi will be again very good for us in the playoffs.

Hard to tell if his bouts of stone hands are from an injury to that area and he tries less because of it, or if another injury just has him mentally going at about 70% due to frustration.

There was one play at center ice yesterday where all he had to do was put his stick on a relatively easy pass and start his rush into the zone and he completely flubbed it like he had no touch whatsoever. Wasn't the ice, just no ability to cushion or control it.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Props to Trotz, dude's done a phenomenal job coaching the team. 3 starters out and they played their best game since the break, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad