Confirmed with Link: McIlhenny waived (claimed by Toronto): Forsberg recalled

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Forsberg sent back to Cleveland already. Should have kept CMac until a trade was able to be made for a legitimate backup.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
What are your guys' opinions of Curtis, and what should the Leafs realistically expect out of him?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
What are your guys' opinions of Curtis, and what should the Leafs realistically expect out of him?

He's a great team guy and he wont rock the boat.

As for his play you never know what you're going to get. He could pitch a shutout or be a sieve. He needs to play more than he did here but not too much that you have to rely on him for any sustained period of time.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
He's a great team guy and he wont rock the boat.

As for his play you never know what you're going to get. He could pitch a shutout or be a sieve. He needs to play more than he did here but not too much that you have to rely on him for any sustained period of time.

solid NHL back up, he's been good this season. He gave away 1 game, stole a point for us in another, and stole 2 points vs LAK back in December.

I think we made a mistake letting him go. Korpi is good, but playing twice a month is a tough job for a goalie.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
solid NHL back up, he's been good this season. He gave away 1 game, stole a point for us in another, and stole 2 points vs LAK back in December.

I think we made a mistake letting him go. Korpi is good, but playing twice a month is a tough job for a goalie.

Agreed, but I think that is precisely why they may have let Mac go. They want to start playing the backup more often now that the schedule is more condensed in the second half, and its clear there wasn't trust in CMac to do that going forward, justified or not.

I'm interested to see if Korpi can continue solid NHL play. I'm not convinced though with how he has been with the Monsters. I know some skaters can be better suited for the NHL than the AHL, but is that true for goalies too? I have no idea.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I'm fine with Forsberg being sent back down... now 1-8 in his NHL career. Have always preferred Korpisalo. He was 16-11-4 up with the big club (.920 save %) last year, with a poopy defense in front of him.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I hate to see guys not make the most of a limited opportunity, but at the same time with the Jackets where they are in the standings they just can't afford to play Forsberg now.

To have a fair shot, Forsberg may need an opportunity to play in late season garbage time in the NHL (on a non-playoff team) for a few weeks to get settled in. He's still young, so hopefully he just keeps working at his craft and fights through any self-doubt. It's tough to fail (I've been there), but you just have to keep paddling. If he keeps playing well in the AHL he'll get other opportunities, whether here or elsewhere.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'm fine with Forsberg being sent back down... now 1-8 in his NHL career. Have always preferred Korpisalo. He was 16-11-4 up with the big club (.920 save %) last year, with a poopy defense in front of him.

I've always thought Korpisalo was the better goaltender. I know his numbers aren't great in the AHL, but he always looks good in the NHL and I have confidence in him when he gets a start.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I hate seeing Forsberg struggle in the NHL. Always been rooting for him, hope he could run away with this chance.. But, I think it was the right move to send him back to Cleveland. He just might not be an NHL goalie.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

If Portzline was to be believed, the team had already resigned itself to sending McElhinney down at the start of the season. The injury to Korpisalo, however, delayed it until now. But either way they had made their minds up months ago.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've always thought Korpisalo was the better goaltender. I know his numbers aren't great in the AHL, but he always looks good in the NHL and I have confidence in him when he gets a start.

I hate seeing Forsberg struggle in the NHL. Always been rooting for him, hope he could run away with this chance.. But, I think it was the right move to send him back to Cleveland. He just might not be an NHL goalie.

I agree with both of these. Not sure what all goes in to making a guy a better fit at one level vs another, but these guys seem to be a prime example. And while I've been on the Korpi bandwagon, I was really hoping to see something big out of Forsberg this time around.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I agree with both of these. Not sure what all goes in to making a guy a better fit at one level vs another, but these guys seem to be a prime example. And while I've been on the Korpi bandwagon, I was really hoping to see something big out of Forsberg this time around.
Likewise. It's really rather bizarre. Combo of goaltending voodoo and prospect voodoo, I guess.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
If Portzline was to be believed, the team had already resigned itself to sending McElhinney down at the start of the season. The injury to Korpisalo, however, delayed it until now. But either way they had made their minds up months ago.

Yes, good call on that. Korpi was great last night, and is the best option if Bob goes down and we need a regular netminder, I'm just not keen on him playing the traditional backup role (2 games a month).

I'm feeling better about the situation.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is, as I recall, how it goes with backup goalies. There are a lot of winning teams that have backup goalies with losing records.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad