Confirmed with Link: McIlhenny waived (claimed by Toronto): Forsberg recalled

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Hopefully Mac clears and goes to Cleveland. Forsberg has earned the call-up. Korpi has not been good this year aside from a few starts here and there. Mac was great in his last stint in the AHL, and Cleveland is probably the best place to play in that league as far as facilities, pro presentation, crowds etc.

If he gets picked up and gets to stay in the bigs, good for him, and I wish him nothing but the best. He knew his role and did it well (sometimes).

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Not sure I like this move. Other than the Ranger game, he hasn't been that bad. If the Jackets are going to get a decent veteran goaltender to back up Bob, fine, but I'm not sure Forsberg or Korpisalo are ready to play meaningful games like we'll need them to this season.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Not sure I like this move. Other than the Ranger game, he hasn't been that bad. If the Jackets are going to get a decent veteran goaltender to back up Bob, fine, but I'm not sure Forsberg or Korpisalo are ready to play meaningful games like we'll need them to this season.
Forsberg has a .930 sv% this season in the AHL, with a dominant performance in the playoffs last season and a .927 sv% the season before that.

Forsberg deserves to get some NHL time, whether or not Mac deserves to be waived. But just to be clear, I'm fine with waiving Mac.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That's a surprise.

It's a dog-eat-dog world in the NHL. Sports has its glamor side and there's lots of $ involved and all the players understand that their day of reckoning will come, but this has got to be a blow to CMac. He hasn't seen the minors since 2012-13 and I doubt he expected to this season after his good start.

He'll still get his $800,000 pay rate as he's on a one way deal and the CBJ can bury $650,000 of it, so it's a wash for everyone concerned regarding money.

With the way Korpisalo played last season in the NHL and Forsberg has in the AHL, it was only a matter of time for CMac. He's probably feeling like someone who lost their 75 year old grandfather who was in OK health. He knew the day would come, but just not this soon.

Best of luck to him. Hopefully he gets claimed and can continue his NHL career. If he's not claimed, then I hope he performs well in Cleveland. If Forsberg falters, then CMac certainly has a good shot at returning.

Part of me wonders if this isn't a not-so-subtle message to some other players that if they falter too badly, that they will also be subject to being moved (sent down/traded). This CMac decision tells me that the FO and coaching staff is "all in" for this season and that they're willing to do whatever it takes to get to the top of the hill.

Last edited:

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Long overdue, in my opinion, and not surprised. Never felt confident in Mac. He's a great guy and amazing for the community, but we need to give ourselves the best chance to win hockey games.

My guess is that Foppa will get a few games (5-6?) between now and mid-February to assess the backup goalie situation further. If he is a clear upgrade over McBackup, then Foppa stays up for the playoffs. If his play isn't marginally better, I would assume a trade is made to bring in a guy who is capable of quality play.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
The Blue Jackets had to make some sort of move with goalies for the upcoming expansion draft. I'm not certain of the rule (too lazy to look it up).

CMac's contract is up and he will be UFA this year. In addition, Foresberg and Korpisalo will both be RFA and one would have to have gotten his qualifying offer before the expansion draft. Basically, after the Jackets protect Bob, there has to be some certainty of contract for at least one goalie to be offered for expansion. There was also something about being in an NHL roster also.

The move doesn't surprise me. The timing does.

When does 4sberg get his first start? Carolina tomorrow, Tampa Friday, Florida Saturday? It should be this week.

Valdiz

Apr 4, 2015
Moscow
That's a surprise.

Part of me wonders if this isn't a not-so-subtle message to some other players that if they falter too badly, that they will also be subject to being moved (sent down/traded). This CMac decision tells me that the FO and coaching staff is "all in" for this season and that they're willing to do whatever it takes to get to the top of the hill.
I partially disagree with you - i think that it might be both the willingness to win "right now" and investment in future.
As of now, Columbus is packed (knock on the wood) with great young players, both D and O, who could be considered the future core, but the goalie situation is one step away from the one in Tampa Bay (lol at rhyme).
Imagine Bob getting hurt, which is always a possibility, who will then be #1? Certainly not Cmac. Forsberg/Korpi duo will be better than Forsberg/Cmac (with all due respect, Cmac is probably done as NHL goalie) and young G needs to be introduced in the Big Club carefully - just look at the disaster with Vasilevsky in TB (many among HFBoards think that this stretch can ruin his development, which is debatable, but still). So, if Anton fails, then Korpi gets his shot, and vice versa.
See also - Pittsburgh's Murray.
I think Forsberg deserved a second shot in Columbus, so by recalling Anton the club says "hey kid, this is your chance, prove you are worth it" - I firmly belive that, as of now, their bet is on Forsberg.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
After listening to Torts talk about Mac after the game the other night, I find it hard to believe this is solely a move on Jarmo's part.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm shocked, tbh I thought Mac had a solid season up until the NYR game. The last game I attended (LAK 12/20), he flat out stole for us.

But...

There is no defending his performance Saturday night.

What other factors (roster, contracts, expansion draft, etc) are at work here, I don't fully understand.

I'm seriously appreciative of the hard work and selflessness CMAC has brought to the club, and I wish him the best where ever direction his career takes him in.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Like Mac, but I wouldn't trust him in a playoff game if Bob needed a rest. Wish him well.

This shows me that the front office is willing to go for it this year, which I love. Give Forsberg a chance, and if he doesn't make the most of it, try Korpi and if all else fails, get a rental goalie at the deadline.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Following on the heals of the buyout/release of Tyuts, Boll and Campbell, it seems that Torts is ready to ask the FO to make a move when someone is not cutting it anymore. Don't be surprised if at expansion draft time, it is Boone, not Anderson who is left unprotected. I think Torts is seeing that Boone fits into the old "hard to play against" style but not the "safe is death" style that Torts wants.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Woah. That's a bit surprising. He's really only had one bad outing this year but you can tell Torts doesn't trust him enough to play. I don't trust Forsberg either.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can't say I expect him to stay down in the AHL for the rest of the season (unless Forsberg plays incredibly well), and the timing does surprise me, but that Rangers game... yeah, that was bad. :(

Here's hoping he gets his game back on track in Cleveland promptly and effectively.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It sounds like starting him against the NYR instead of the Flyers was his big game playoff test and he failed.

Everything made sense bob should have started that game but they wanted to see what they had when it mattered most.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
you can tell Torts doesn't trust him enough to play. I don't trust Forsberg either.

Apparently Torts does.. of course we will know the truth on this by how quickly they get him in a game, and then what the rotation is. The fanbase knows we were riding Bob too hard, there needs to be a reliable backstop to Bob.

I feel for CMac, & hope he stays with us in Cleveland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad