News Article: McGuire: "Habs are in trouble"

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I know it's Pierre, but he's not wrong.

No true valuable assets that we can use to make our NHL roster better -- we traded our best trade chip for Drouin, which was good, but now we're losing Radulov. Teams around us in our division and conference as a whole are getting better with younger talent while we're spinning our tires and not really doing a whole lot in terms of development.

We're in a bad spot. We're not bad enough to miss the playoffs (thanks, Carey) but we're not good enough to actually win the Cup and we don't have the pieces to make a trade to fill all the holes we need, which are quoted in the post below:

We need:
-2 top 6 C
-1 top 6 RW
-2 top 4 LHD

Ya good luck Bergevin.

All that said above, I think for now we're fine on wings, to be honest. Drouin, Galchenyuk (lol), Pacioretty, Lehkonen and Gallagher. It's fine on the wings for now. But we DO need two top 2C and two top-4 LHD -- one if we re-sign Markov, but still a tough spot considering his age. Good luck indeed.

Things are so bad that people on this board are honestly suggesting Grigorenko to slot into our top 2C after not even being qualified by the league worst Colorado Avalanche.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
And he also said Radu will only get 6x5 and isn't sure he would do 6x2 for Markov. He called the Orlov deal horrible and is worried about an Alzner deal.

So we could say he is right in saying things don't look good for the habs right now, but he would do the exact same thing MB is doing by not giving Radu and Markov their big contracts.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
"Somehow" ??

No. Carey Price is not "somehow".

So, it's somehow unfair to evaluate Canadiens roster, because we have Carey Price? What about the Devils and their Stanley Cup winning teams? They don't count, because they had Brodeur?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
All that said above, I think for now we're fine on wings, to be honest. Drouin, Galchenyuk (lol), Pacioretty, Lehkonen and Gallagher. It's fine on the wings for now. But we DO need two top 2C and two top-4 LHD -- one if we re-sign Markov, but still a tough spot considering his age. Good luck indeed.

Well we have to use Gallagher or something to get those urgent needs

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Bob McKenzie said today...no way Big Joe comes to Montreal...

Then you have to try Drouin out at center:

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Danault - Galchenyuk

Swap Danault and Drouin depending on who you want them to play with.

void

Jan 5, 2006

That is an atrocious top 6.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So, it's somehow unfair to evaluate Canadiens roster, because we have Carey Price? What about the Devils and their Stanley Cup winning teams? They don't count, because they had Brodeur?

Think on how dumb the comparison is then we'll be able to start a debate. As of now, I can only laugh at your post.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
And he also said Radu will only get 6x5 and isn't sure he would do 6x2 for Markov. He called the Orlov deal horrible and is worried about an Alzner deal.

So we could say he is right in saying things don't look good for the habs right now, but he would do the exact same thing MB is doing by not giving Radu and Markov their big contracts.

That stings... Radu 6 million for 5 years like come on ....that should get inked...he should be a Hab

Link67

Oct 8, 2016
When Bergevin flipped Briere for Parenteau instead of a pick or even a buyout was when the Habs were officially in trouble.

LOL of course, how did I miss that, here we all our banging our heads against the wall trying to figure out our top 6 issues, Center position Question marks for who knows how long.

But now that you mention it, our troubles have everything to do with a meaningless player traded for a meaningless player instead of a meaningless pick....

Are you KIDDING me around here sometimes???? Christ..

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It all comes down to Price. If he doesn't re-sign or costs so much they are handcuffed going forward, the Habs are screwed. Their are major issues developing young players, they have struggled at times with asset management (at other times they have made great trades like getting Danault/2nd for Weise) and there's not much on the AHL team to turn things around. They might get lucky and get something out of guys like Hudon, Reway, Evans, Bitten, etc... (meaning smaller and or skinner skilled guys)

The question is if they lose Price, when this team falls apart and becomes a non playoff team, how long will Molson give MB and his staff before getting the axe? Hopefully whoever comes in cleans house. They must replace the AHL staff, improve the development system (not calling up 19/20/21 year olds before they are ready. Get rid of Churla and other scouts. If Timmins has to go then so be it but they better have someone better in mind.

I would hope they keep Waite, Vincent Riendeau (if he's still working with the goalies, did a great job with Condon imo). Can't see Molson agreeing to let CJ go, as it would mean he would be paying 3 coaches, MT, CJ and whoever they get to take over in say 2-3 years. (since we may have a lockout after 2 seasons)

They would need to build the team around Drouin, Galchenyuk (if he's not traded), Lehkonen and whatever other prospects step up.

They would need to acquire as many draft picks as possible and hope that whoever they have scouting can get the job done and then whoever they have in charge of develop can help them improve instead of struggling.

Going to be very interesting to see what Price does and what happens to the Habs. Maybe MB feels the heat and will surprise and find the right parts to turn this ship around after 2 disappointing seasons.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

That top 6 ****ing sucks.

Don't trade your 1st next year MB. You're gonna need it if Rads and Markov both walk.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
That stings... Radu 6 million for 5 years like come on ....that should get inked...

I mis typed, he said he doesn't think any other GM will give him more than that.

And I agree if that is what Radu wants MB should sign him, but I doubt thats what he is asking for from MB. IMHO if that was the contract offered it would be signed by now.

All rumors point to Radu wanting 7x6 and pretty much everyone in media and on the main board have said thats a bad contract. Personally I would just pay Radu and not care about the future but there its a consensus that if he does sign that contract it will be viewed as a bad one.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.

Radulov is arguably the best player of that bunch. He creates so much more than offense on the ice (ice, wins battle, create pressure, open ice up for the other players).

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
LOL of course, how did I miss that, here we all our banging our heads against the wall trying to figure out our top 6 issues, Center position Question marks for who knows how long.

But now that you mention it, our troubles have everything to do with a meaningless player traded for a meaningless player instead of a meaningless pick....

Are you KIDDING me around here sometimes???? Christ..

In the sense that Bergevin seemed to like the roster as it was and wasn't going to make a major improvement, yes I believe the Briere/Parenteau swap was a sign that he was not going to do what was necessary to make the team better.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The Habs ARE in big trouble. I've been saying it for a long time now, we are led by an imbecile with no plan or vision.

The nail in the coffin for me was the Subban trade, that's when I realized there was no turning back and we were in trouble.

Don't worry though, we finally got a top-6 French player. All is fine in Habs land.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Haven't some of us here been saying the same thing? There are too many holes to fix and not enough pieces to fill them. Our prospect pool isn't very attractive, so you can't trade. And we know how MB feels about July 1st. He's cuffed himself. It will be interesting to see how he dances his way out of this one.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We have 1 sniper with zero top 2 centres to feed him, 1 top 2 D, a no. 1 goalie and near zero prospects in our pool while extending the guy who's developed near zero NHL players in 5 years.

Future is not exactly looking bright here guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad