McGuire down-talks USA and Sweden; hypes Canada

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
Nothing wrong with the article at all. Trust me, I love when announcers are fair and equal to both sides, and that's what this is. You can't judge Pierre solely by this article and not what he's said during the games. Pierre does come off as a guy who picks sides for Canada, and sure, sometimes he does. But he doesn't in this article.

Everything he said is true, and in the games he's the first to tell you how big a loss it is for Canada to be missing Hall, Kane, Duchene and co.

The discipline factor? Absolutely true as well. Say what you will about the refs, but they've done their job for the most part so far in the pre-tournament games. He isn't being entirely positive either. He says that the refs often judge based on noise, which makes it harder for a team like Canada's who base their game around big hits and size advantage.

Stop overreacting and let it go.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=346427

Not that surprising I guess. But it would be nice to to see him not only focus on the negative when discussing USa and Sweden and only positive when talking about Canada.

Did you watch Canada Vs. Sweden? He praised how gritty the Swedes were, defended Larsson if he made a bad play and talked Lander up pretty good. He of course has his man crushes, but was pretty well tossing praise all over both teams when it called for it.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Not that surprising I guess. But it would be nice to to see him not only focus on the negative when discussing USa and Sweden and only positive when talking about Canada.

Yikes!!! I don't think this is accurate at all.

Throughout the entire build up to this tournament everyone at TSN has talked "up" the US and talked "down" Canada's chances. Some have argued TSN has done this stategically. I agree.

I find Mr McGuire quite honest and insightful - yes, I know I am alone.

I think he and Mr Miller are terrific!

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

That and he's making it clear he's passed TSN's effort to push the Americans as favourites. He is right IMO, because this team has no folk hero or dynamic draft eligible, they are being undersold. I've pushed that thought since the team was picked. From what I've seen so far it's probably true. Tough team to play against.

If I had to rank the Posters at HFBoards I would rank Minister of Offence near the top. His posts are ALWAYS clever and insightful.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend

In other news the grass is green and the sky is blue.

McGuire is a pathetic little ****** when it comes to international hockey. I don't know why he's even discussed as having any kind of authority or knowledge during international competition as he turns into a jelly kneed little groupie who can't wait to have his womb filled with Canadian seed.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

McGuire is a pathetic little ****** when it comes to international hockey. I don't know why he's even discussed as having any kind of authority or knowledge during international competition as he turns into a jelly kneed little groupie who can't wait to have his womb filled with Canadian seed.

bravo sir.

bravo.

:handclap:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Pierre's fair with his evaluations. There is no Fowler or Carlson on the blueline, although I still think it's a solid group. I will say the "underselling" of Canada angle is pretty laughable. Seems to be a TSN snow job.

It builds ratings... I believe that if TSN were to say that Canada is the clear favourite people would not tune in like they do when Canada is the underdog - especially to the US.

Look at last years tournament... Other then the U.S. New Years Eve game, the Canadian Round Robin games did NOT sell out. Everyone was SHOCKED!!! The reason... people became spoiled and figured "Canada is going to smoke everyone, like every year, so why do they need my support?"

TSN comes out this year and says the US is the Best Team, Canada is an underdog and people feel they need to support the team - even if it means just planting their bums infront of the TV.

I also think TSN is doing it to take pressure of the Canadian kids and put it on the US kids - hoping that will pay off like it did in Vancouver 2006.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

TSN will do whatever it takes to get people to tune in. How do you think the WJC became a holiday tradition in millions of Canadian households? By talking up the Swedes, Russians, and Americans? Of course not. It's not unbiased or nonpartisan, but that's TV for you.

I'm not a big fan of "Canada is the underdog this time!" angle either, but again, it's a storyline they're promoting to get people to watch. McGuire has a role to play in all this and that's what he's doing.

It's amazing how these simple concepts seem to elude people year after year.

Good post!

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006
This is ALL he is known for. Literally the only question going into the tournament is who will be his boy-crush this year.

Not a fan of his...it was awful yesterday.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Yikes!!!

I don't like this post at all.

:(

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Once again.......Canada should be able to ice 3 teams in this tournament and finish 1-2-3. Their depth of talent is without peer. If not for terrible goaltending, they would have won last year too. This from someone who resides south of the 49th.

If Canada had better goaltending last year, and if the USA started Campbell, that gold medal game would have been a lot more intense IMO. Would probably have been 2-1 either way...

Macman

May 15, 2004
Sheeshh. You have to be pretty insecure to take offence with anything he said. TSN does an unbelievable job of covering this tournament and hockey in general. And yes, folks, it is primarily for a Canadian market. If you don't like it, go get your hockey fix on ESPN. :sarcasm:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

This is ALL he is known for. Literally the only question going into the tournament is who will be his boy-crush this year?

Not a fan of his...it was awful yesterday.

Mr McGuire must be doing something right. He is on TSN's 1st team. He is also on NBC's 1st team. I think he adds to the game and to this tournament.

His (understated) response to Gord Millers :

"This guy is something else!" (comment on J Toews)

of

"Yes, he is."

will always be one of my favourites and still gives me chills when I hear it.

If / When he takes a job as a GM I will miss him on TSN and at Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Let me see if I can find something more palatable.

WEW HEW!!!! You did it. Thank you... :)

Now if I could just get you to change it to a Canadian team with Gold Medals around their neck the world would be a better place (smile).

Thanks again. :)

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Meh.. whatever. I still think USA is the favourite. Their forward line-up is just scary.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010

lol, did McGuire run over your dog or something?

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

The funny thing is McGuires American :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad