McGuire down-talks USA and Sweden; hypes Canada

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by Pondwaterpierre*, Dec 22, 2010.

1. http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=346427

Not that surprising I guess. But it would be nice to to see him not only focus on the negative when discussing USa and Sweden and only positive when talking about Canada.

2. cynicism

cynicism Registered User

The Monster legend of Pierre Mcguire keeps growing as the tournament goes on, and I do believe it because of the incredible play of John Tavares.

3. canucksfan

canucksfan Registered User

Home Page:
    Why isn't Russia mentioned?

4. Z-Diddy

Z-Diddy Registered User

As member #000000001 of the "No Pieres Club", I for one am glad he's blatantly picked sides this time, rather than the usual process of signaling out his personal favorites sans Canada and saddling up to their success in the tournament, as homer and over the top he is I'm glad he's gone further thus completely discrediting any forsight that some have mistakenly been lead to believe he ever had in the first place

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  5. dookers9

dookers9 Registered User

Uh oh. I foresee this thread going off sooner than later with all sorts of crazy accusations and mudslinging involving those north and south of the 49th and The Lakes. :shakehead

Sorry, but I'm thinking that you're making way too much of this little - tiny, irrelevant - article. He cites Fowler and Carlson as no longer on the American team, and refers to them as tough to fill. Most WOULD suggest that Sweden's lost more than they've gained this roster.

And McGuire focuses more on size of the Canadians' roster and crowd noise more than building them up with so-called positives.

Nothing there in McGuire's article to interpret as uber-homering. Especially when you consider some of his previous pieces. :shakehead

6. Minister of Offence

Minister of Offence Registered User

Home Page:
    That and he's making it clear he's passed TSN's effort to push the Americans as favourites. He is right IMO, because this team has no folk hero or dynamic draft eligible, they are being undersold. I've pushed that thought since the team was picked. From what I've seen so far it's probably true. Tough team to play against.

7. Starrlinx

Starrlinx Registered User

So the US & Sweden have lost a lot where as Canada has totally replaced Eberle :rolleyes:

8. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    Pierre's fair with his evaluations. There is no Fowler or Carlson on the blueline, although I still think it's a solid group. I will say the "underselling" of Canada angle is pretty laughable. Seems to be a TSN snow job.

9. hototogisu

hototogisu Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
    TSN will do whatever it takes to get people to tune in. How do you think the WJC became a holiday tradition in millions of Canadian households? By talking up the Swedes, Russians, and Americans? Of course not. It's not unbiased or nonpartisan, but that's TV for you.

I'm not a big fan of "Canada is the underdog this time!" angle either, but again, it's a storyline they're promoting to get people to watch. McGuire has a role to play in all this and that's what he's doing.

It's amazing how these simple concepts seem to elude people year after year.

10. dookers9

dookers9 Registered User

Or Hall, for that matter.

Fair point. I'm just thinking that there isn't enough there to justify the idiocy that often follows when an article is blown out of proportion.

11. Kessel97

Kessel97 Registered User

TSN of course will be biast towards other countries and say Canada is the best...becasue its a Canadian channel.

I bet a US channel is saying the US will win and have the best team.

12. Starrlinx

I agree that this article is not really that big of a deal but that just jumped out at me when he was talking about the losses the US and Sweden had not replaced and then skipped over Canada's completely. :laugh:

13. missinthejets

missinthejets Registered User

never mind that TSN themselves and much of the other Canadian media has also called the US team the favorites to win. Just so many returning players compared to Canada for it not to be.... But it's also not the first time Canada has been not the favorite compared to the US or the Swedes or whoever and still won. The depth allows us to put together a team of "lesser knowns" that can still win but don't get the prognosticators love.

14. Minister of Offence

Home Page:
    We won this tournament 4 out of 5 years without Eberle. You'd have to be pretty ignorant not to realize they roll in new talent every year, more so than any country, due to obvious advantages.

15. Minister of Offence

Home Page:
    Pierre's going against the grain with that one. TSN's pushing the opposite angle.

16. ThisYearsModel

ThisYearsModel Registered User

Once again.......Canada should be able to ice 3 teams in this tournament and finish 1-2-3. Their depth of talent is without peer. If not for terrible goaltending, they would have won last year too. This from someone who resides south of the 49th.

17. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager
    That's what I was getting at.

18. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager
    I don't think so.

19. Minister of Offence

Home Page:
    :laugh:

Yeah I made sure to avoid sounding snotty because I had a feeling I may not have interpreted you correctly. My bad there.

20. oXo Cube

oXo Cube Termite

Pierre hyping Canada....

Why is this even thread worthy? Pierre never lets logic get in the way of hyping team Canada.

21. Starrlinx

I'm well aware that Canada rolls in new talent every year but that doesn't mean they aren't going to miss Eberle. If this new talent is good enough (haven't seen that yet) Canada will overcome it but Eberle was a special player who could score clutch goals. To think Canada won't miss that just like Sweden and US will miss some of their pieces from last year is just silly.

22. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

really doesnt bother me with what Pierre said. Though he obviously only pointed out the flaws of the US and the Swedes, while ignoring those same issues with Canada, it is all harmless stuff. Nothing to get worked up over. What he said about both the US and Sweden is true; just needed to mention the same thing with Canada and how they will be able to replace Hall and Eberle this year.

23. Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell Registered User

There's nothing in that article that should get anyone upset.
    Pierre reviewed the top 3 favourite teams in this tourney?
    Anyone disagree with the top 3?....No?...I didn't think so.
    Can any of the top 3 win the tourney?...yes....thought so.
    Pierre acknowledged that Canada may not be as strong as past years BUT could surprise and not that they will win.
    Basically the same as he did with the other 2 countries but in different manner.

I guess he should have said that all three countries are the clear cut favourite to win.
    But I do agree with the other poster who mentioned where the heck is Russia!

* I still don't see where he hyped Canada as the thread title says, can anyone else?

24. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager
    No biggie. We're all friends here.... :D

25. Rabid Ranger

Contract manager
    Again, we have to remember the audience. TSN is geared towards Canadians, so of course it's going to have a slight (or overt!) Canadian bias. IMO, they do an excellent job of highlighting the WJCs, and have given the likes of the U.S. more than enough face time.