Confirmed with Link: McGinn re-signs for 2 years (2.1M AAV, 1.9M/2.3M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Two things:

First of all, just noticed that we are outspending every Canadian team but Edmonton.

Secondly, I'm not sure what anybody is hoping to gain in the Forsberg negotiations. We really need him on a two-way deal and I'm not sure if the arbitrators can grant him a one-way contract if it is what he desires. He was pretty darn good in the AHL last season. Despite the fact that even though Chicago's goalie situation was the pits and he was passed over by a younger, less experienced guy, the Checkers' goalie consultant apparently had some good words to say about him.

All of this is to say, does this make a Reimer trade smell more likely? And who the hell would we trade him to anyway.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Two things:

First of all, just noticed that we are outspending every Canadian team but Edmonton.

Secondly, I'm not sure what anybody is hoping to gain in the Forsberg negotiations. We really need him on a two-way deal and I'm not sure if the arbitrators can grant him a one-way contract if it is what he desires. He was pretty darn good in the AHL last season. Despite the fact that even though Chicago's goalie situation was the pits and he was passed over by a younger, less experienced guy, the Checkers' goalie consultant apparently had some good words to say about him.

All of this is to say, does this make a Reimer trade smell more likely? And who the hell would we trade him to anyway.

Even if Forsberg has an extremely good training camp and makes the team as the #2, I don't think that they need to trade Reimer. They can easily just bury him in the AHL Moulson-style and save a million in cap space. My bet, though, is still that Reimer has a rebound season here and gets dealt next year for an actual asset.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I think Reimer is a guy they are counting on to perform. I dont think anyone is going to be moved out. Everyone has an important role.

I thought if there was an odd man out, it'd be McGinn. Makes me suspicious on Willy coming back, as who gets scratched at forward?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
My 2nd thought is that if the Borg decides to deal rather than bury Reimer because of Forsberg winning the #2, they should use him to take a shot on buying rock-bottom on Wennberg, who had a horrible season last year but is still only 24 and is locked up on what should be his prime years.

Reactions: Unsustainable

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
My 2nd thought is that if the Borg decides to deal rather than bury Reimer because of Forsberg winning the #2, they should use him to take a shot on buying rock-bottom on Wennberg, who had a horrible season last year but is still only 24 and is locked up on what should be his prime years.

That Wennberg contract vs. his recent production...Do.Not.Want.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Secondly, I'm not sure what anybody is hoping to gain in the Forsberg negotiations. We really need him on a two-way deal and I'm not sure if the arbitrators can grant him a one-way contract if it is what he desires.
why couldn't the arbitrators grant him a one-way deal?? that's likely what the negotations are over. one-way vs two-way, or maybe differences over ahl salary on a two-way.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
that deal with chicago continues to make no sense. unless they're actively trying to shop reimer, it's going to be between ned and forsberg to be the ahl starter. carolina gave ned a poison pill second year guaranteed to make it less likely a team would claim from waivers considering it's one way money, so he's obviously being prioritized over forsberg.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
that deal with chicago continues to make no sense. unless they're actively trying to shop reimer, it's going to be between ned and forsberg to be the ahl starter. carolina gave ned a poison pill second year guaranteed to make it less likely a team would claim from waivers considering it's one way money, so he's obviously being prioritized over forsberg.
Makes sense to me. They wanted to get rid of one of our top 5 D in anticipation of an Aho offer sheet. Move Faulk and it helps for one year. Move de Hann and it helps this year plus.

The return wasn’t a factor imo. Not saying it was the right move, only time will tell.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Makes sense to me. They wanted to get rid of one of our top 5 D in anticipation of an Aho offer sheet. Move Faulk and it helps for one year. Move de Hann and it helps this year plus.

The return wasn’t a factor imo. Not saying it was the right move, only time will tell.

i definetly understand it from a "get rid of de haan" scenario, but it's odd to get two pieces back that are fringe nhl talents at positions we've likely already decided on.

oh, and obviously i'm a fan of this contract. martinook and mcginn getting about the same contract is acceptable. hopefully this means he'll be around a while yet. he's a solid bottom six.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
If I were in charge, I'd trade Reimer, stash the cap space for a trade deadline deal and take a leap of faith on either Forsberg or Ned being a suitable backup for this year.

But I'm not in charge, and in some circles, I'm known as a moron

I just think that Reimer's going to rebound this year, and if he does that, they can get an actual draft asset for him next offseason. I'm already betting that the Borg is scheming to launder another 1st for 1 year of Backes after the season's over.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm just thinking the dropoff from Reimer to Ned is probably not that big, if there is a dropoff at all. I might be higher on Ned than some people, but from what I've seen he looks super composed and confident. He's only played 2 NHL games but in both games he played at a high level and did not at all look intimidated.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If I were in charge, I'd trade Reimer, stash the cap space for a trade deadline deal and take a leap of faith on either Forsberg or Ned being a suitable backup for this year.

But I'm not in charge, and in some circles, I'm known as a moron
If I were in charge I’d be on the phone with Vegas looking to put a deal in place for Gusev so that if Willie doesn’t have a decision made by August, we have a plan to replace his top-6 RHS.

However, I’ve been known to frequent the same shapes you do, so I’m not in charge.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Even if Forsberg has an extremely good training camp and makes the team as the #2, I don't think that they need to trade Reimer. They can easily just bury him in the AHL Moulson-style and save a million in cap space. My bet, though, is still that Reimer has a rebound season here and gets dealt next year for an actual asset.

If Forsberg claims the #2 in camp, Reimer will likely be dealt then and there- there are always teams unhappy with their backup options around training camp. There'll be a market.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A market for a goalie with 2 years left at a $3.4 mil AAV that just got beat out for an NHL job? I don't know about that.

If Forsberg or Nedeljkovic beats him out for the backup slot, the team will put him on waivers. He'll clear and then join the Checkers. I'm not going to get my hopes up for a positive value trade or even something involving a modest sweetener. He was effectively swapped for a pure cap dump not too long ago. Let's not forget that.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Prior to last season, Reimer's SV% was quite good for the prior 3 seasons:

.918 (32 games) in TOR and .938 (8 games) in SJ
.920 (42 games) in FLA
.913 (44 games) in FLA

Then this past season he dropped to .900 in 36 games. So is that .900 an aberration? or part of a downward trend? Luongo and Montembeault weren't any better last year either, but that's not saying much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino