The Athletic - Boston McDonald: Here’s what the next Bruins Stanley Cup-winning roster will look like

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Laine get signed as a UFA after being bought out by the Jets.

Bruins force him to grow his horrible beard back.

He gets Richard trophy that year with B's

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My lines next Cup 2020

15 forwards who will get namf on Cup

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Studnicka
Heinen-Coyle -Kuhlman
Nordstrom -Kuraly-Wagner
Bjork/Frederic/Ritchie

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Chara - Clifton
Moore - Kampfer

Rask
Halek

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The year is 2020

My cup winning roster:

Marchand-Giroux-Marner
Benn-Seguin-Tarasenko
Hall-Bergeron-Backes
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Doughty-Pietrangelo
Moore-Hedman

Rask
Halak
Nice to see you have Moore on there to keep the cap down:sarcasm::naughty:

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
The year is 2020

My cup winning roster:

Marchand-Giroux-Marner
Benn-Seguin-Tarasenko
Hall-Bergeron-Backes
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Doughty-Pietrangelo
Moore-Hedman

Rask
Halak

I love how the first 8 forwards I read are all elite players and then I just see "Backes."

I know you're screwing around and it gave me a good f***ing laugh. Thank you!

Reactions: Lo97 and maxl7

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
@DKH and I had a similar conversation at development camp.

I was saying I think they're going to phase Frederic and Studnicka into the middle6 over the next 2 years which meant they would be phasing out Krejci and that re-signing Coyle wasn't a sure thing either.

Dan felt like the Bruins were definitely going to extend Coyle, and he thought that Krejci would get the Chara treatment with a series of 1 year deals. He felt Studnicka and Frederic would get phased in on the wing. (Correct me if I'm wrong Dan.)

At any rate, this conversation is more interesting if you think about it just in terms of the next 2 years. Krejci's deal expires at age 35. Rask's deal expires at age 34. Chara is currently 42 and his deal expires this year.

Sweeney's done a nice job of planning for this transition. He's got 3 potential top9 centers in Studnicka, Frederic and Beecher (3-4 years away). He's got 2 top6 wingers in Pasta and DeBrusk. He's got 2 potential starting goalies in Keyser and Swayman. The re-built defense is already here.

You can also see the kind of team he's building, which I think is really designed for new era hockey: Size, grit and two-way play at center, skill and speed on the wings, mobility and transition skill on the defense.

1-2 years away, without any additions and without re-signing any UFA's...

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
DeBrusk - Studnicka - Bjork
Heinen - Frederic - Kuhlman

Gryz - McAvoy
Vaak - Carlo
Moore - Cliffy

I think the conversation is more relevant if you look at things 1-2 years away because it helps you understand what kind of impact a move in the present would have on the long-range plan.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I liked the signing of Laine for RW. But why not this offseason? Laine is having difficulty in his contract negotiations, Winnipeg needs Dmen, something of which Sweeney has a surplus.

Reactions: Strafer

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Probably got around 12 names correct... but that doesnt bother me

Honestly i like this idea and ive done it myself many times in my life

Its interesting... do i think its worthy of being an article people pay to read? No... its something i used to do as a 10 year old kid

But i enjoyed reading it here... if nothing else it shows we project to be a pretty good team

I think krejci will get traded before his contract runs out and likely we will have something from his trade

I think there will be more trades and free agent signings over the next 5 years

Honestly i dont predict krug will be a top dman 5 years from now.

I think bergeron could easily be around in a 3rd/4th line role

I think marchand is very unlikely to be a first line player in 5 years

Maybe in 5 years a kid like clayton keller or colin white went to ufa and we signed someone like this?

5 years is sooooo long... guessing even half the lineup 5 years from now is more luck than science

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sweeney has the love of the Jacobs family by bringing 13 home playoff games this season

I don't expect anything from the team in 2019-20 but the following year I do.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
@DKH and I had a similar conversation at development camp.

I was saying I think they're going to phase Frederic and Studnicka into the middle6 over the next 2 years which meant they would be phasing out Krejci and that re-signing Coyle wasn't a sure thing either.

Dan felt like the Bruins were definitely going to extend Coyle, and he thought that Krejci would get the Chara treatment with a series of 1 year deals. He felt Studnicka and Frederic would get phased in on the wing. (Correct me if I'm wrong Dan.)

At any rate, this conversation is more interesting if you think about it just in terms of the next 2 years. Krejci's deal expires at age 35. Rask's deal expires at age 34. Chara is currently 42 and his deal expires this year.

Sweeney's done a nice job of planning for this transition. He's got 3 potential top9 centers in Studnicka, Frederic and Beecher (3-4 years away). He's got 2 top6 wingers in Pasta and DeBrusk. He's got 2 potential starting goalies in Keyser and Swayman. The re-built defense is already here.

You can also see the kind of team he's building, which I think is really designed for new era hockey: Size, grit and two-way play at center, skill and speed on the wings, mobility and transition skill on the defense.

1-2 years away, without any additions and without re-signing any UFA's...

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
DeBrusk - Studnicka - Bjork
Heinen - Frederic - Kuhlman

Gryz - McAvoy
Vaak - Carlo
Moore - Cliffy

I think the conversation is more relevant if you look at things 1-2 years away because it helps you understand what kind of impact a move in the present would have on the long-range plan.
I love the ‘phase in/phase out’ analysis

I look at Bergeron/Krejci like the Sedin Twins. They go together- remove one and the other suffers

The Bruins and the players are at their best with both in the lineup

To move Krejci you will see a noticeable drop in Bergeron- just from the required additional responsibilities

If I can get a bet and odds in Vegas whether Krejci plays 1000 regular season games in Boston I’m all over it

The center blueprint is outstanding to me - short & long term

Next 2 years

Bergeron & Krejci man top 2 lines

Coyle signed 5-6 years long term
* eventually top 6 center
* now- one of best third line centers who can play heavy important minutes

Studnicka & Frederic over next 2 seasons phase into regular 16+ minute forwards

Kuraly does what Kuraly does

BOTTOM LINE

As 37 & 46 play next 2 years

You have FIVE centers in organization between 18-27 that measure 6’2” + who can skate - four high picks and pedigrees

Coyle 6’3”
Kuraly 6’2”
Frederic 6’3”
Studnicka 6’2”
Beecher 6’4”

This is how I’m guessing Donny sees it as well

Reactions: Mainehockey33

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I love the ‘phase in/phase out’ analysis

I look at Bergeron/Krejci like the Sedin Twins. They go together- remove one and the other suffers

The Bruins and the players are at their best with both in the lineup

To move Krejci you will see a noticeable drop in Bergeron- just from the required additional responsibilities

If I can get a bet and odds in Vegas whether Krejci plays 1000 regular season games in Boston I’m all over it

The center blueprint is outstanding to me - short & long term

Next 2 years

Bergeron & Krejci man top 2 lines

Coyle signed 5-6 years long term
* eventually top 6 center
* now- one of best third line centers who can play heavy important minutes

Studnicka & Frederic over next 2 seasons phase into regular 16+ minute forwards

Kuraly does what Kuraly does

BOTTOM LINE

As 37 & 46 play next 2 years

You have FIVE centers in organization between 18-27 that measure 6’2” + who can skate - four high picks and pedigrees

Coyle 6’3”
Kuraly 6’2”
Frederic 6’3”
Studnicka 6’2”
Beecher 6’4”

Krejci would be fine anywhere he plays. The Bruins hold him back with insufficient talent.

Reactions: Lo97

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Krejci would be fine anywhere he plays. The Bruins hold him back with insufficient talent.
He does well - he’s a perfect second guy

This past year was my favorite DK year of his career

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
He does well - he’s a perfect second guy

This past year was my favorite DK year of his career

he should have 3 cups, maybe even a few more finals or ECF runs with any puck luck... but what can you do, Bruins history is painful to think about

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Coyle 6’3”
Kuraly 6’2”
Frederic 6’3”
Studnicka 6’2”
Beecher 6’4”

But only one has any top six potential, Studnicka and he has played less than 20 pro games. I like Frederic and Beecher a lot, I loved the Beecher pick and think he might have an outside shot at top 2 center because of who he was behind at the US team and with additional time i Michigan playing a bigger roll he may develop. Frederic isn't a top 2 center, in many ways I see his future on the wing. Coyle has never shown any top 2 level play and I wouldn't resign him. I like his size and I like the player but as a 3C, if he is looking for more than $m a year I let him walk and use his money to sign or trade for a young top six power forward or center who has shown some potential to be a top 2. Kuraly is a favorite, I love his speed, his grit and everything about him but again he is not a top 2 or even top 3 center. They have tried on a couple occasions to move him up with no success.

The top line center in 2 years is not in the organization at the moment and it should be looked at as something that needs to be addressed ASAP, and not from within.

I'm really not trying to be negative but I don't see any of those players being a top 2 center on a contending team. I like every one of them but putting them in positions to fail is not a great idea.

Reactions: Lo97 and maxl7

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
But only one has any top six potential, Studnicka and he has played less than 20 pro games. I like Frederic and Beecher a lot, I loved the Beecher pick and think he might have an outside shot at top 2 center because of who he was behind at the US team and with additional time i Michigan playing a bigger roll he may develop. Frederic isn't a top 2 center, in many ways I see his future on the wing. Coyle has never shown any top 2 level play and I wouldn't resign him. I like his size and I like the player but as a 3C, if he is looking for more than $m a year I let him walk and use his money to sign or trade for a young top six power forward or center who has shown some potential to be a top 2. Kuraly is a favorite, I love his speed, his grit and everything about him but again he is not a top 2 or even top 3 center. They have tried on a couple occasions to move him up with no success.

The top line center in 2 years is not in the organization at the moment and it should be looked at as something that needs to be addressed ASAP, and not from within.

I'm really not trying to be negative but I don't see any of those players being a top 2 center on a contending team. I like every one of them but putting them in positions to fail is not a great idea.
I asked a friend who is a Pro Scout not Boston what the opinion of Bruins prospects are so I could know which guys not to trade AOF in the SIM League :naughty:

The guy their organization really really likes is Studnicka. Didn’t guarantee top 6 but said he sees the ice well and can make plays which gives him a chance to play up there.

He knows I’m a Neanderthal and said I will like Studnicka and Frederic they are Bruins types

Reactions: Fenian24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad