The Athletic - Boston McDonald: Here’s what the next Bruins Stanley Cup-winning roster will look like

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I’m talking right now in reality

I hate right now in reality, i forgot to buy coffee yesterday.

Laine is...so tempting, but i'd want to see at least one more consistent season out of him before giving up the assets and $$ to get him. But if he puts up that consistent high level performance the price goes even higher

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Laine is...so tempting, but i'd want to see at least one more consistent season out of him before giving up the assets and $$ to get him. But if he puts up that consistent high level performance the price goes even higher

I didn`t like Laine`s season this past year one bit. Got to see quite a few Jet games and he looked both disinterested and frustrated all season long. So talented and in no way am I writing this kid off but he cannot put forth the effort this coming year he just did

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I didn`t like Laine`s season this past year one bit. Got to see quite a few Jet games and he looked both disinterested and frustrated all season long. So talented and in no way am I writing this kid off but he cannot put forth the effort this coming year he just did
yeah, the 27 goals in 18 games 3 goals in 60 routine (or whatever it was) is a major red flag. as is the -24

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
yeah, the 27 goals in 18 games 3 goals in 60 routine (or whatever it was) is a major red flag. as is the -24

Goals are random events. Trying to infer something about a guy's play simply from the distribution of the goals and his plus minus is outrageous.

Laine *is* bad defensively and is not a play driver, but none of that can be taken from what you cited.

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
@DKH and I had a similar conversation at development camp.

I was saying I think they're going to phase Frederic and Studnicka into the middle6 over the next 2 years which meant they would be phasing out Krejci and that re-signing Coyle wasn't a sure thing either.

Dan felt like the Bruins were definitely going to extend Coyle, and he thought that Krejci would get the Chara treatment with a series of 1 year deals. He felt Studnicka and Frederic would get phased in on the wing. (Correct me if I'm wrong Dan.)

At any rate, this conversation is more interesting if you think about it just in terms of the next 2 years. Krejci's deal expires at age 35. Rask's deal expires at age 34. Chara is currently 42 and his deal expires this year.

Sweeney's done a nice job of planning for this transition. He's got 3 potential top9 centers in Studnicka, Frederic and Beecher (3-4 years away). He's got 2 top6 wingers in Pasta and DeBrusk. He's got 2 potential starting goalies in Keyser and Swayman. The re-built defense is already here.

You can also see the kind of team he's building, which I think is really designed for new era hockey: Size, grit and two-way play at center, skill and speed on the wings, mobility and transition skill on the defense.

1-2 years away, without any additions and without re-signing any UFA's...

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
DeBrusk - Studnicka - Bjork
Heinen - Frederic - Kuhlman

Gryz - McAvoy
Vaak - Carlo
Moore - Cliffy

I think the conversation is more relevant if you look at things 1-2 years away because it helps you understand what kind of impact a move in the present would have on the long-range plan.

Can't lie. I really like this lineup. Then, you have guys like Lauko and Steen hopefully still developing at this point in Prov. I'd replace Moore with Lauzon and have what I truly believe, a developed Senyshyn, in place of Kuhlman (who you can place on the 4th line).

Reactions: Estlin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Laine is a stud but runs super hot and cold and seems like money max out guy

Jets would have wings top 6
Wheeler
Ehlers
Connor
DeBrusk
Vesalainen

Pretty good group

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Goals are random events. Trying to infer something about a guy's play simply from the distribution of the goals and his plus minus is outrageous.

Laine *is* bad defensively and is not a play driver, but none of that can be taken from what you cited.
which is precisely why i said in another post that i'd want to see at least 1 consistent season from him before making a big move to get him

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
which is precisely why i said in another post that i'd want to see at least 1 consistent season from him before making a big move to get him

I mean, he's a goal scorer. A pretty good one. But he has serious deficiencies in his game. Waiting for a "consistent" season (not sure what exactly you mean by that, consistent goal scoring? Or playing a "complete" game?) would only increase the cost of acquisition or leave you waiting for something that might never come.

Reactions: Lo97

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
just trying to figure out what Mac thinks would have gotten Laine in Black and Gold, not what i think it would take

He signs for big money in WPG, never delivers, gets bought out and then signs low as a UFA with Boston for a second chance.

Sweeney forces him not to ever shave again, he regrows his gnarly beard and regains the scoring touch he had in his rookie season while with that beard.

Wins Rocket Richard Trophy with Boston, entire league nashes teeth that Bruins leading goalscorer is on cheap show-me deal.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
@DKH and I had a similar conversation at development camp.

I was saying I think they're going to phase Frederic and Studnicka into the middle6 over the next 2 years which meant they would be phasing out Krejci and that re-signing Coyle wasn't a sure thing either.

Dan felt like the Bruins were definitely going to extend Coyle, and he thought that Krejci would get the Chara treatment with a series of 1 year deals. He felt Studnicka and Frederic would get phased in on the wing. (Correct me if I'm wrong Dan.)

At any rate, this conversation is more interesting if you think about it just in terms of the next 2 years. Krejci's deal expires at age 35. Rask's deal expires at age 34. Chara is currently 42 and his deal expires this year.

Sweeney's done a nice job of planning for this transition. He's got 3 potential top9 centers in Studnicka, Frederic and Beecher (3-4 years away). He's got 2 top6 wingers in Pasta and DeBrusk. He's got 2 potential starting goalies in Keyser and Swayman. The re-built defense is already here.

You can also see the kind of team he's building, which I think is really designed for new era hockey: Size, grit and two-way play at center, skill and speed on the wings, mobility and transition skill on the defense.

1-2 years away, without any additions and without re-signing any UFA's...

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
DeBrusk - Studnicka - Bjork
Heinen - Frederic - Kuhlman

Gryz - McAvoy
Vaak - Carlo
Moore - Cliffy

I think the conversation is more relevant if you look at things 1-2 years away because it helps you understand what kind of impact a move in the present would have on the long-range plan.

Far greater likelihood Coyle is 2C/3C than Studnicka or Frederic are. In fact they will go to FA to get an in
prime #1C before you see that line-up for the start
of 2021-22.

Reactions: Lo97

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Clearly had a deadline he had to meet and just threw his turd against a wall.

Journalism in 2019

Also.... half the board hates this strictly because the 2 way stud Zach Senyshen isn’t listed. What a joke. Guy can score, they’ve just told him not to score in the AHL!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad