McDavids stats transformed to a goalie (or other sports)

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
Air Coryell era Dan Fouts. At the time he was playing a different game than everyone else. A different generation of players make him not look as good stat wise as he is/was (current NFL QBs, 80's hockey).

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Hasek at his peak was a league above NHL, so I'd go with that.

McDavid wins Art Ross by having close enough to twice as many points as two other Top 10 scorers combined.

Reactions: MessierII

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't know how you'd transform his numbers to a goalie since McDavid is judged by accumulated stats and goalies are judged by averaged stats.

He kind of reminds me of a young Randy Moss with how they both blow by defenders like they're not even there and create something out of nothing.

Cricket Green

May 1, 2021
The young'ns getting a little taste of what Gretzky's Oilers days were like. Cute to see them get excited. Understandably, shit has been largely boring since Lemieux/Jagr.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
We call that Thatcher Demko a lot lol

God I dream of having a goalie like him on the Oilers lol

Vancouver is ELITE and developing goalies. Jealous as hell

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
How should look like a goalie stats, if they want to match McDavid?

I think there 2 ways to look at it:

1) An gross evaluation on how much goal created over the nhl average first line center McDavid, what save percentage does a goaltender need when playing a lot of games to save that many goal versus the average starting goaltender. or it can above replacement player has well.

2) How it rank among center first line performer all-time versus how it rank among goaltender.

The top 31 center excluding McDavid this year scored an average 50.26 points, McDavid double that for 105 points, according to hockey reference he created 37 goals.

The top 30 goaltender this year averaged 977 shot against and let in 87.5 goals, .9104 save percentage.

If you want a goaltender to save 40 goals or so you probably want to play enough to receive 1,400 shots and give away only 86 goals (.939 save percentage)

Tim Thomas/hasek peak over a high volume in this current high scoring environment could be similar if that Hockey reference goal created estimate is good.

If is 55 points above the average first line center created closer to say 50 goals in reality that would be having .946 while playing 47-48 games on a team that receive a lot of shots

Reactions: alko

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
2015 Carey Price

This would be a close comparable other then Hasek obviously. You can’t compare goalies and skaters because they’re completely different positions. But when you look at two players playing behind an average to bad team and carrying them, this is as close as a comparable as you’ll get with this debate.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
As goalie: 6.78 G.AA - .773 SV% with 1 goal and 40 assists.

Damn, so Marty Brodeur with an average D infront of him?

Jokes aside, if people wanted to take the isolated divisions to the next level (dont think the impact is that much), then the comparison for me is like Nadal at Roland Garros. Dudes a monster on all courts, but on clay hes like some kind of diety. That said, while different than all other courts, clay is extremely difficult so it doesn't really match the narrative of the North division being free points.

Hard to believe but Nadal is even more dominant on clay than McDavid haha.

Reactions: Oddbob

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
This would be a close comparable other then Hasek obviously. You can’t compare goalies and skaters because they’re completely different positions. But when you look at two players playing behind an average to bad team and carrying them, this is as close as a comparable as you’ll get with this debate.

I think you can compare them, specially if the skaters is an offensive machine, a goal saved over the average standard starting goaltender versus how many goal created versus the average first liner for example is a possible way to evaluate what prime Hasek value was versus prime Jagr for example. Arguably easier than comparing forward vs defenceman.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think you can compare them, specially if the skaters is an offensive machine, a goal saved over the average standard starting goaltender versus how many goal created versus the average first liner for example is a possible way to evaluate what prime Hasek value was versus prime Jagr for example. Arguably easier than comparing forward vs defenceman.

Fair point. But goaltending is a specialized position evaluated on averages while all skaters, forwards and defenseman, are evaluated on accumulated stats. I do agree though, it’s easier to compare a forward and a goaltender as far dominating their position then it is a defenseman because there’s a lot of different factors that go into what makes actually makes a defenseman great. Point production or even being very sound defensively doesn’t automatically make the great or even good.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Fair point. But goaltending is a specialized position evaluated on averages while all skaters, forwards and defenseman, are evaluated on accumulated stats. I do agree though, it’s easier to compare a forward and a goaltender as far dominating their position then it is a defenseman because there’s a lot of different factors that go into what makes actually makes a defenseman great. Point production or even being very sound defensively doesn’t automatically make the great or even good.

In a way the goaltender is accumulated goal saved versus regular starter like the forward in that way and both can loose some during a bad streak not just gain.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
33 shutouts, 72 saves

33 home runs, 72 runs

33 touchdowns, 72 sacks

33 baskets, 72 assists

33 goals, 72 red cards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad