Salary Cap: McDavid's next contract

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How dare you call call one of the greatest hockey players to ever skate a greedy SOB. Honestly he does not strike me as guy trying to stick it to teams.

He's an agent now. His job is to get the maximum amount for the players that he represents. You can't blame a guy for doing his job.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
If anything we know Edmonton doesn't care about Salary structure or precedence and will likely **** off the rest of the hockey world again with the McDavid contract.

KGM

Oct 10, 2014
There is very little chance he is not signed well in advance of this deal expiring. It would not shock me to hear a deal announced in July next year.

I expect McDavid to come to terms on his next deal 364 days before his ELC is up.

It's anybody's guess. We can point to high-profile RFAs who signed as soon as they could (Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle), and we can point to others who waited (Forsberg, Gaudreau, Monahan, Kucherov, Ekblad, MacKinnon).

drewshoo

Feb 26, 2014
Lethbridge
It's anybody's guess. We can point to high-profile RFAs who signed as soon as they could (Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle), and we can point to others who waited (Forsberg, Gaudreau, Monahan, Kucherov, Ekblad, MacKinnon).

Ekblad re-signed after his second season as well, he is still on his ELC right now. Whilst Gaudreau did sign after ELC expiry, he really only played 2 seasons before signing and I think it is a little bit different. Honestly the only one I think is a comparable is Ekblad. And that might be a stretch. Mcdavid is simply on a completely different level than anyone you mentioned. And those types of players always get signed in the final season before ELC expiry. There is no doubt in my mind that Connor is getting re-signed this summer or early into next season. If he ever becomes eligible for an offer sheet that would be a fireable mistake for Chia.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
6.5 and 4 million a year for rexal advertisements :naughty:

Why would he do Rexal Ads?

Bridge deal?? Why on earth would you do that? I know you go on to explain but the reasoning is fantasy as well. When you have the best player in the game and he has restricted bargaining power you lock him up to the max term for whatever he wants to be happy.

Pundits suggest he may take a bridge deal due to the expiring of the CBA. Might make more sense to negotiate a new contract after the new CBA is in.

Assuming similar CBA terms

I'd do this:
2018-19: $9.7 (or what ever the number is) for 3 years
Becomes a RFA
2021-22: $9.7 (or what ever the number is) for 8 years

This takes Mcdavid to age 32/33 before he hits free agency where you can lose him for nothing.

I think McDavid is cut from the same cloth as Crosby and will take a discount to win. As mentioned, he is going to make his millions in endorsements. He's never going to have to worry about money. What he will worry about is how many times he is going to lift that cup over his head.

You just have to make sure you put a competitive team around him before he signs his 8 year deal. But if he does bolt at least you'll be getting 4 first round picks.

Or you can all risk losing a 29 year old McDavid for nothing and sign him to 8 years now.

I expect McDavid to come to terms on his next deal 364 days before his ELC is up.

Just like Horcoff!!!!!

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
He's an agent now. His job is to get the maximum amount for the players that he represents. You can't blame a guy for doing his job.

Mcdavid and his agent have a fiduciary relationship which entails trust and confidence and requires the agent to act act honestly, in good faith, and strictly in the best interests of his client.

McDavid decides what is in his best interest. If he is interested in winning then his agent has a fiduciary duty to negotiate a contract favourable to him winning.

If McDavid wants to stay here I would imagine that their will not be much negotiations. McDavid and his agent will give them a number and the Oilers will sign it because it will be beyond reasonable.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
McDavid will have a blank cheque, he can take the max over 7 years if he wants. The question is will he take a discount, hopefully. I just want to see him sign though.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If the Oilers don't make significant improvements this year I don't see anyway McDavid is willing to sign a contract until he becomes an RFA. And if we aren't improved by that point he's going to be looking to be out of here as soon as he can.

The dude is not going to waste his career with an inept franchise.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If the Oilers don't make significant improvements this year I don't see anyway McDavid is willing to sign a contract until he becomes an RFA. And if we aren't improved by that point he's going to be looking to be out of here as soon as he can.

Tavares has been with NYI how long?

They've made improvements. Where do they stand right now? Are you suggesting they lose every game of the season from here out?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Mcdavid and his agent have a fiduciary relationship which entails trust and confidence and requires the agent to act act honestly, in good faith, and strictly in the best interests of his client.

McDavid decides what is in his best interest. If he is interested in winning then his agent has a fiduciary duty to negotiate a contract favourable to him winning.

If McDavid wants to stay here I would imagine that their will not be much negotiations. McDavid and his agent will give them a number and the Oilers will sign it because it will be beyond reasonable.

The agent will lay it all out for Connor. He just maxed out his rookie deal, at $3.3 million. Of which like 17% was withheld due to escrow. The players just got a check back from the nhl, which likely pegs the total escrow that was taken from them at about 12% based in the last 3 seasons. So, Connor likely grossed under $3 million of the $3.3 he earned.

So, a $10 million per year cap hit deal, is really $8.8 after escrow. Something for him to think about.

What is the feeling about escrow for the next CBA? Are players willing to have the cap ceiling lowered so that escrow isn't as high. Honestly, that just means everyone's new contract will be 10% less. Lucic, would get $5.4 instead of $6 million per. So, does that involve a salary rollback like in prior years? That's something else to consider.

Then you get into the hockey stuff like how competitive the oilers are, are they going in the right direction, do you trust the management team?

As for endorsements, he likely will earn what sid has been earning, but that pales in comparison to the basketball counterparts. Sid has a deal with Reebok or Adidas for $10 million over 7 years while harden of the rockets has a $200 million deal over 13 years with Adidas. So, not as if Connor would make more in endorsements over his salary.

In comparison to Sid's deal, Sid is on a back diving deal. So, his actual cap hit is like $10.6 million if you cutoff the years he might not play, and given his concussion history he would likely walk away before not being able to pass a concussion exam.

Up to Sid how much he wants and for how long.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Itll be 10-10.5 million base don recent Toews/Kane/Kopitar contracts. Crosby signed for 8.7 in 08 but that is equal to 11 mill today

Also anyone is delusional if they think Chiarelli is dumb enough to let McDavid go to RFA and be open to offersheets

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Unless the Oilers can show they are competitive in some way I fully expect him to go for the absolute max he can get, and good on him for doing so.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Unless the Oilers can show they are competitive in some way I fully expect him to go for the absolute max he can get, and good on him for doing so.

Don't all players go for the max? I don't think he's going to really hold out for league max. Tavares took a 5.5 Mil deal on a bottom feeder. Hall took a 6m on a bottom feeder. Neither really took their team to the cleaner. I don't expect mcdavid to ever really take discount even if we win 2 cups in the meantime. He's got a whole team of handlers saying get what you deserve. Stars really don't take pay cuts. Depth players due from time to time

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Itll be 10-10.5 million base don recent Toews/Kane/Kopitar contracts. Crosby signed for 8.7 in 08 but that is equal to 11 mill today

Also anyone is delusional if they think Chiarelli is dumb enough to let McDavid go to RFA and be open to offersheets

The Toews Kopitar and Kane contracts were there third. McDavids will be his second. There not really compareable deals.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle

3 sentences and 3 huge assumptions.

Also, McDavid's own history would counter these assumptions. People said the same thing about Erie too and were wrong. It's more likely at this point (19 yrs old) he sees himself retiring an Oiler.

You are becoming replacement's replacement. The Oilers have already made significant improvements, although you can't see it I'm sure McDavid can -- he has said it quite a bit. This season has been nothing but positive, and anyone who can't see that is gorging on negativity imo.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
58464688.jpg

Last edited:

polepoplarpope

Nov 8, 2005
Alberta.
You have insider information about that?

I don't think anyone who posts here these days does. These threads and posts are just passionate opinions and educated guesses. The people who truly know professional hockey are or have been employed directly or indirectly by professional hockey.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think anyone who posts here these days does. These threads and posts are just passionate opinions and educated guesses. The people who truly know professional hockey are or have been employed directly or indirectly by professional hockey.

And here it looked like you were just being negative.:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad