Salary Cap: McDavid's next contract

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
If he wants a team around him...
bridge deal
3X7.5M

in return you sign Joe Thorton and Burns...thus immediately putting the Oilers in the elite cup contenders category.
Jumbo Joe 3 years X5
Burns 7 X 7.5

Win a cup in canada and you become immortal.

Joe T plays mostly on wing and mentors our 3 Cs. You can do this because Larsson is 4M, Klef is 4M, Sekera is 5M and everyone else will be cheap cheap cheap. McD gives a bridge discount to fill the rest of the roster. He will get 11-13M in the next contract.

This is when you go all in

Personally i think Chia gets creative. He knows he has to. this is a 3-5 year window to really make a dynasty. cap space is of necessity

Never know I guess.
I wouldn't dream of offering McDavid a bridge deal or 7.5. It would be an insult.
Crosby's second deal was 15% of the cap. He's the comparable. That left them enough room to build a team around.
That's $11 million this year. Signing McDavid around there in two years won't prevent the team from surrounding him with talent. If he was good with 9.7 or even 10 it is a discount. Deals like Lucic at 6 are more concerning than McDavid at 10. IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Crosby is happy with 8.7 even on his second deal because he's pulling in $3-$4 million in endorsements (Gatorade, Tim Horton's, the bulk of these deals are actually in Canada, lol).

McDavid I think is already pulling in comparable marketing revenue to Sid, being in Canada is actually a boom to his marketability appeal because every big Canadian corporation (Rogers, Canadian Tire, CIBC, Adidas/CCM Hockey) wants in on that gravy train. I imagine McDonalds Canada will come a calling soon enough too if Tim Horton's doesn't get him first.

The other thing to consider is a 3-4 year bridge deal with the full intention of signing a 8 year deal after that means you have him through age 31/32 I believe.

If you sign him to just a full 8-year-deal then he becomes a UFA at age 28. I think I'd rather stretch it out until he's 32+.

It's also why it's important for us to get to the playoffs sooner than later. I think once he experiences playoff hockey here, he will "bond" fully with the franchise/city and will want to win it all here. Those moments imprint on a player emotionally big time, they take "ownership" of the team, they will never forget their first playoff games and the intensity and emotional investment in them.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
My guess is 10M x 8 years. McDavid himself might settle for 1-2M less but I bet his agent is a greedy SOB, so I'd just offer the 10 and call it a day.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
If he wants a team around him...
bridge deal
3X7.5M

in return you sign Joe Thorton and Burns...thus immediately putting the Oilers in the elite cup contenders category.
Jumbo Joe 3 years X5
Burns 7 X 7.5

Win a cup in canada and you become immortal.

Joe T plays mostly on wing and mentors our 3 Cs. You can do this because Larsson is 4M, Klef is 4M, Sekera is 5M and everyone else will be cheap cheap cheap. McD gives a bridge discount to fill the rest of the roster. He will get 11-13M in the next contract.

This is when you go all in

Personally i think Chia gets creative. He knows he has to. this is a 3-5 year window to really make a dynasty. cap space is of necessity
Bridge deal?? Why on earth would you do that? I know you go on to explain but the reasoning is fantasy as well. When you have the best player in the game and he has restricted bargaining power you lock him up to the max term for whatever he wants to be happy.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
My guess is 10M x 8 years. McDavid himself might settle for 1-2M less but I bet his agent is a greedy SOB, so I'd just offer the 10 and call it a day.

Bobby Orr didn't have a problem with Hall taking 6M x 6 :sarcasm:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Pundits suggest he may take a bridge deal due to the expiring of the CBA. Might make more sense to negotiate a new contract after the new CBA is in.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'd love to sign him to an 8-year avg. 9.7 million dollar contract...maybe a little lower on the first couple years (7 million) growing to 13 million during his UFA years

he's a team-first guy and I'm willing to bet he takes a lower cap-hit in order for the TEAM to get better and core signed

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Tom Brady is the comparable. He took less so that the team around him was competitive. I still remember his quote, " my wife makes more than me so it's all good". Ok, I paraphrased that a bit but not much. I think McD is cut from the same clothe.

KGM

Oct 10, 2014
When the RFA offer-sheets start coming in @ 11M-12M AAV, it's going to be awfully difficult to drop those in the paper shredder and sign with the Oilers for 9M-10M AAV.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
When the RFA offer-sheets start coming in @ 11M-12M AAV, it's going to be awfully difficult to drop those in the paper shredder and sign with the Oilers for 9M-10M AAV.

There is very little chance he is not signed well in advance of this deal expiring. It would not shock me to hear a deal announced in July next year.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

I expect McDavid to come to terms on his next deal 364 days before his ELC is up.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I expect McDavid to come to terms on his next deal 364 days before his ELC is up.

Exactly. Hall, RNH and Eberle all signed their 6-7 year deals after their 2nd season, so why wouldn't they get McDavid done at the same time?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Exactly. Hall, RNH and Eberle all signed their 6-7 year deals after their 2nd season, so why wouldn't they get McDavid done at the same time?

I would hope we don't use 2 terrible deals and 1 decent one to compare signing McDavid.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Nope. What's Crosby's second contract plus inflation?

Crosby was 15.3% of the cap would be ~11.2 cap hit if signed this year. Factor in the rising salary cap for the next 2 season and you're looking at a number close to 12.

Also with Crosbys third contract it benefits from from the now forbidden practice of the last 3 years being cheap to drop the cap hit after he's 35+, the average over the first 8 years is 10.8 which was 16.8% of the cap in 2013. or equivalent of a 12.25 cap hit now.

IMO, assuming McDavid continues on a trajectory to establish himself as the top player in the league by the end of the next season, the Oilers would be good to get him in the 10-11 range but 11-12 is probably more likely. McDavids agent would be doing well for him to get 12+

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I would hope we don't use 2 terrible deals and 1 decent one to compare signing McDavid.

I see 1 good, 1 okay, and 1 terrible. Hall is a good deal (he's worth closer to 7 million imo) and RNH is decent (about right, give or take a bit). Ebs should be about 1 million less.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Since he's not scoring goals, I think we should only give him 8 years at the usual 6M AAV golden boy rate :sarcasm:

Honestly though, I can see us giving him the 9.7M AAV 8 year deal.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013

How dare you call call one of the greatest hockey players to ever skate a greedy SOB. Honestly he does not strike me as guy trying to stick it to teams.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I thought it was a given that McDavid was going to get the NHL maximum? I heard one of the commentators say something like that on CBC.

They have no insider information in regards to contract talks - especially ones that probably haven't taken place yet.

There's no way he will get paid NHL max. It just doesn't happen - experienced players who are tops in the league don't get that, and McDavid will be the same. He'll probably get something in the range of 8x8 to 8x10.

TypeSly

Jan 29, 2010
Wayne Gretzky Drive
They have no insider information in regards to contract talks - especially ones that probably haven't taken place yet.

There's no way he will get paid NHL max. It just doesn't happen - experienced players who are tops in the league don't get that, and McDavid will be the same. He'll probably get something in the range of 8x8 to 8x10.

I'm sure his agent is well aware that Edmonton will pay him whatever it takes to keep him in Edmonton. And more.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How dare you call call one of the greatest hockey players to ever skate a greedy SOB. Honestly he does not strike me as guy trying to stick it to teams.

Has Bobby Orr's agency been involved in any recent contentious negotiations? His group represents Ekblad. If that is a recent example, that went pretty smooth. Although Florida paid top dollar :)

If McDavid signed at 9.7M AAV, he would be by far the highest paid RFA (i think Ekblad would be the #2 guy on RFA years with his 7.5M, tied with Tarasenko). and 4th highest in the NHL period behind 3 multiple cup winners (Toews, Kane, Kopitar). 1M ahead of Crosby's AAV who has 8 years left on his deal after this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad