Salary Cap: McDavid's next contract

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
The agent will lay it all out for Connor. He just maxed out his rookie deal, at $3.3 million. Of which like 17% was withheld due to escrow. The players just got a check back from the nhl, which likely pegs the total escrow that was taken from them at about 12% based in the last 3 seasons. So, Connor likely grossed under $3 million of the $3.3 he earned.

So, a $10 million per year cap hit deal, is really $8.8 after escrow. Something for him to think about.

What is the feeling about escrow for the next CBA? Are players willing to have the cap ceiling lowered so that escrow isn't as high. Honestly, that just means everyone's new contract will be 10% less. Lucic, would get $5.4 instead of $6 million per. So, does that involve a salary rollback like in prior years? That's something else to consider.

Then you get into the hockey stuff like how competitive the oilers are, are they going in the right direction, do you trust the management team?

As for endorsements, he likely will earn what sid has been earning, but that pales in comparison to the basketball counterparts. Sid has a deal with Reebok or Adidas for $10 million over 7 years while harden of the rockets has a $200 million deal over 13 years with Adidas. So, not as if Connor would make more in endorsements over his salary.

In comparison to Sid's deal, Sid is on a back diving deal. So, his actual cap hit is like $10.6 million if you cutoff the years he might not play, and given his concussion history he would likely walk away before not being able to pass a concussion exam.

Up to Sid how much he wants and for how long.

His agent will do what ever Connor wants him to do. If he wants a team friendly deal then that's what the agent will do. if he wants a max contract then the agent will get him as close to that as he can. Connors rookie deal is $3.775M, not 3.3. And I could have negotiated a Max ELC for Mcdavid, it isn't hard, all #1 overall picks get max deals. I doubt he made many of his bonuses though as he was hurt most of the season.

The players don't always lose money to the Escrow account. theoretically they could get more money than their contracts are worth. he could make $12M on a $10M contract if league revenues exceed projections.

Escrow has nothing to do with how much the players take home at the end of the day. It is just a holding account, like a trust account. it acts as a buffer incase revenues are drastically lower than projected. I highly doubt there would be a rollback. They only did that when the Cap was introduced so that contracts would fit into the cap.

Sids deal takes him to 37, barring injury he will play the whole thing. And if he can't get cleared medically then he will still get paid, just like pronger.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
His agent will do what ever Connor wants him to do. If he wants a team friendly deal then that's what the agent will do. if he wants a max contract then the agent will get him as close to that as he can. Connors rookie deal is $3.775M, not 3.3. And I could have negotiated a Max ELC for Mcdavid, it isn't hard, all #1 overall picks get max deals. I doubt he made many of his bonuses though as he was hurt most of the season.

The players don't always lose money to the Escrow account. theoretically they could get more money than their contracts are worth. he could make $12M on a $10M contract if league revenues exceed projections.

Escrow has nothing to do with how much the players take home at the end of the day. It is just a holding account, like a trust account. it acts as a buffer incase revenues are drastically lower than projected. I highly doubt there would be a rollback. They only did that when the Cap was introduced so that contracts would fit into the cap.

Sids deal takes him to 37, barring injury he will play the whole thing. And if he can't get cleared medically then he will still get paid, just like pronger.

It's not lower than expected revenues that are really driving the large escrow bill. It is that teams are spending so close to the cap. The estimated amount that the players are due is based on the midpoint of the range. But right now it looks like all but 2 or 3 teams will spend above that amount. The ceiling is almost 12.5% above the midpoint. So if team spend at about $71M on average you would be looking at nearly 10% in escrow at least to cover the overage if revenues did grow by the 5% number associated with the escalator.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think we're all hoping that he does a Crosby and takes a big discount at 8x$9.7M but if he wants to he'll get league max

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think we're all hoping that he does a Crosby and takes a big discount at 8x$9.7M but if he wants to he'll get league max

If he gets League max the first thing that will happen is that the team will have to start dismantling any support he might have. He knows this as well as anyone, and this is the reason way no player since the cap has been in place has made anywhere near league max. Ultimately, I do agree that the Oilers will meet his demands. But if it was league max he'd be on the trade block the next day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad