Mcdavid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Just to be clear that people understand the changes we made...

Spezza vs Legwand (Spezza was our 2nd Center in TOI last season) : losing a bit of offense, adding better 2-way play. Spezza leaving gives more opportunity to break out for Zibanejad

Conacher/Hemsky vs Chiasson : Chiasson doesn't look like an upgrade on Hemsky, but should easily be on Conacher. We add size and Chiasson is very young. Despite a very strong finish with the Sens, Hemsky got 43 pts last year, 8 more than Rookie Chiasson (who had a food bug near Christmas and lost 15 pounds)

Corvo vs Borowiecki : depth D-men change. Corvo let go to be replaced by Boro physical game when needed. Corvo is done in the NHL

Da Costa vs Hoffman : SDC was getting older, and was not open to sign a 2-way contract to fit our tight budget. The opportunity goes to Hoffman then who will try to become a NHL regular.

Kassian vs Stone : Goon who played 4 mins a game is let go to leave a roster spot for a young prospect with great potential. Hopefully, Neil tends to fill Kassian's role a little bit more.

Wildcards : Lazar, Guptill and Puempel
Call-ups : Pageau, Grant, Claesson...

Young talent is more ready to make an impact and spots/oportunities are opening for them. And it's not only "prospects" but guys already on the roster like Ceci, Wiercioch, Gryba, Cowen, Turris, Zibanejad, Lehner...

This will be a very different team, more an offense by comitee 3 lines with a 200 feet game and physical impact. That's what the coach wants. Players like Spezza, Hemsky, Corvo, Da Costa and Kassian (because of his skating) probably didn't fit the bill anyway

I think it's quite obvious the teams I listed above are better than us

Thanks for reminding me that the game is played on paper. I'm still very new to this NHL thing...

Montreal made the ECF this year don't let your personal Hate for the team blind you alongside Columbus Philly and Detroit. Toronto was top 3 in the east all year long and just collapsed in the last month they were better than us all year long.

But everytime we play them, it appears clear that we are better, even when we lose in OT (thanks to refs and Price incredible performances). If we get near "Price" level of goaltending (and both Andy and Lehner are capable), we are clearly better. That team is just older and more experienced while having a higher payroll. I like our future better, if we can start to spending a bit more of course.

We lost our best scoring duo. Spezza and Hemsky were playing lights out together, that's also the reason we started to win games. Our defence is horrible. I can't wait till Greening is on our top line come fall and all of hf sens blows up

We were 10-7-3 after Hemsky acquisition... a 94 pts pace

We were 27-24-11 prior to the trade... a 86 pts pace

Hemsky and Spezza made some exciting offensive plays and who knows what would have been with a full season of Hemsky, but the difference is not overly big. But it was unrealistic anyway, as the Sens didn't want to pay his full salary for 20 games (added an extra pick for the Oilers to retain 50% of his salary), so I doubt they would have liked to pay his full salary for 181 days...

Just a friendly advice : you might want to learn to use facts when you're claiming things around here. You're on a public place, LOT of people (including medias and hockey players) read these boards. You need to earn a bit of credibility and you seem to be quick on posting things without any evidence support. You made some declarations already and people are waiting for you to find a way to explain them using facts, observations, etc

I agree. My guess is the Senators are going to make the playoffs, but that will require improvements in play of the younger forwards (e.g., Zibanejad, Hoffman, Chiasson, Stone) as well as improvements in play of our young defence men (e.g., Cowen, Wiercioch, Cecil, Gryba). The Senators will also have to reduce their minor penalties (e.g., Neil, Smith, MacArthur and Gryba being the most guilty parties). And then there is the Penalty Kill which needs improvement. So there are a lot of "if's" involved, and it will be ante resting season.

Good analysis, I would add if the goalies play to their capabilities and don't have a long cold period like last year (~18 games each)

It's not "unrealistic" ifs, just the young talent to continue develop. And healthy seasons from Cowen and Karlsson could also be a big factor. But in the end, I think the problem last year was more "systemic" than anything else. Players need to buy the game plan more and be committed at both ends of the ice. Need to play "tight" in this league, lots of parity.

I can see this team making a statement that they are a few millions and a bit of experience away from contending.

Note : please never say Cecil again, dunno why but it sounds awful lol

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Make the playoffs? I'm Happy
Miss the playoffs and have a top 15 pick in the best draft in the last 12 years? I'm Happy

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Can we just create a thread called "Senseless Negative Nonsense Without Facts or Logic" and just merge threads like this one into it.

I'm sure we'd remove quite a bit of clutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad