Mcdavid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
Are those the teams that you think got better? How did NYR get better exactly? All they did was lose players. How does subtracting Iginla and Thornton make Boston better exactly? Pittsburgh got better by losing Stempniak, Jokinen, Niskanen, Orpik, and Neal? Please explain. Detroit's biggest off-season move was getting rejected by players left and right. How did they improve? The Flyers downgraded big time by trading Hartnell for Umberger. What else did they do? Nothing?

The Sens may have lost scoring on paper, but replacing Spezza with Chiasson and Legwand is going to change the way they play, not unlike when Columbus traded Nash. I wouldn't bet against them.

I would, however, bet that the majority of the teams you list there got worse.
I meant to say those are the teams I listed that were better iMO

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
and the Sens had a disastrous start to the season and yet were within a striking distance from making the playoffs

So what any team could make that excuse, and we never really were in a race we just stockpiled points in the end when it didn't really matter

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Are those the teams that you think got better? How did NYR get better exactly? All they did was lose players. How does subtracting Iginla and Thornton make Boston better exactly? Pittsburgh got better by losing Stempniak, Jokinen, Niskanen, Orpik, and Neal? Please explain. Detroit's biggest off-season move was getting rejected by players left and right. How did they improve? The Flyers downgraded big time by trading Hartnell for Umberger. What else did they do? Nothing?

The Sens may have lost scoring on paper, but replacing Spezza with Chiasson and Legwand is going to change the way they play, not unlike when Columbus traded Nash. I wouldn't bet against them.

I would, however, bet that the majority of the teams you list there got worse.

But those teams are not the Sens. If you think that teams who are not the Sens do not become hugely better during the offseason before anyone proves anything on the ice then you have a lot to learn about angst.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chillax. We have structured our team to remain competitive for this year. Unfortunately for you we may end up making the playoffs. No way we are a bottom feeder.

Benny, is it this year that the lottery pick order is now up for grabs to anyone in the bottom 14?

I searched for an answer to this and the only thing I could find was that it was under consideration, required NHL PA approval and might not be applicable for the 2015 draft.

I would like to know the answer too.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
So what any team could make that excuse
that's not true, because our team had many important players who were recovering from injuries at the start of the season, and we got better as they started healing up

I searched for an answer to this and the only thing I could find was that it was under consideration, required NHL PA approval and might not be applicable for the 2015 draft.

I would like to know the answer too.
i believe every non-playoff team was already in the lottery before the lockout, but could only move up 5 places until the last draft, where they could move all the way up. I think the change in 15 draft would be changing the odds for the 14 teams in the lottery

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think it's quite obvious the teams I listed above are better than us

This thread is one heck of a way to start your posting on HF. You aren't convincing us that tanking right now is the way to go.

If you want to get any credibility for your poorly-constructed argument, you better start explaining your reasoning for thinking we got worse while every other team got better. It's not just about points on paper. Okay we lost Spezza. The team's playing style is going to be drastically different than last year.

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
This thread is one heck of a way to start your posting on HF. You aren't convincing us that tanking right now is the way to go.

If you want to get any credibility for your poorly-constructed argument, you better start explaining your reasoning for thinking we got worse while every other team got better. It's not just about points on paper. Okay we lost Spezza. The team's playing style is going to be drastically different than last year.

We lost our best scoring duo. Spezza and Hemsky were playing lights out together, that's also the reason we started to win games. Our defence is horrible. I can't wait till Greening is on our top line come fall and all of hf sens blows up

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
We lost our best scoring duo. Spezza and Hemsky were playing lights out together, that's also the reason we started to win games.
they were replaced by Chaisson, Legwand, and growing players at every position, the last of which is the most important

SNES

Aug 7, 2012
Manotick
Senators are going to surprise a lot of people this year. All of you saying we got worse are crazy. We have a much stronger two way team and will hopefully play a more blue collar game. The only wildcard I see if the defense improving. Otherwise I'm calling second round like poster above me.

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
Senators are going to surprise a lot of people this year. All of you saying we got worse are crazy. We have a much stronger two way team and will hopefully play a more blue collar game. The only wildcard I see if the defense improving. Otherwise I'm calling second round like poster above me.

I agree that the Sens are going to play a better two-way game. The Spezza trade (coupled with the Legwand signing) is very similar to the Nash trade. These moves change the culture of the team. Spezza will score a lot of points in Dallas, but he's never going to change the fact that he only plays on 1/3 of the ice. Having Turris/Zibanejad/Legwand/Smith down the middle means that the Sens are going to play a strong, two-way game and win games with work ethic.

I don't know how far they'll go, but I think they make the playoffs.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree that the Sens are going to play a better two-way game. The Spezza trade (coupled with the Legwand signing) is very similar to the Nash trade. These moves change the culture of the team. Spezza will score a lot of points in Dallas, but he's never going to change the fact that he only plays on 1/3 of the ice. Having Turris/Zibanejad/Legwand/Smith down the middle means that the Sens are going to play a strong, two-way game and win games with work ethic.

I don't know how far they'll go, but I think they make the playoffs.

I agree. My guess is the Senators are going to make the playoffs, but that will require improvements in play of the younger forwards (e.g., Zibanejad, Hoffman, Chiasson, Stone) as well as improvements in play of our young defence men (e.g., Cowen, Wiercioch, Cecil, Gryba). The Senators will also have to reduce their minor penalties (e.g., Neil, Smith, MacArthur and Gryba being the most guilty parties). And then there is the Penalty Kill which needs improvement. So there are a lot of "if's" involved, and it will be ante resting season.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
From everything I've read, any team missing the playoffs can win the #1 pick. Sure, the odds suck for the 9-13 group, but it's better than a zero chance.

The way I see it, it's a win-win. If we make the playoffs - amazing! If we don't, we're in the lotto.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So my typo corrector has an interesting take on Ceci, changing it to a new nicname for him "Cecil". :laugh:

And typo correcting of "an interesting" became "ante resting"! Neat!

spader

Oct 13, 2013
Saskatchewan
From everything I've read, any team missing the playoffs can win the #1 pick. Sure, the odds suck for the 9-13 group, but it's better than a zero chance.

The way I see it, it's a win-win. If we make the playoffs - amazing! If we don't, we're in the lotto.

This is my understanding as well. They didn't implement the changes this draft, but will be rolling the changes out over the course of the next two drafts.

Found this:

The league has proposed smoothing or compressing the odds among the 14 non-playoff teams for the 2015 draft and then increasing the number of selections determined by the lottery in 2016.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455770

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I read it as "ante raising" and liked your turn of phrase.

Perhaps this explains why my dentist told my wife I am "funny"!

I am not sure what this means exactly, as it could mean I'm humorous, possibly "funny looking", or potentially "funny in the head"!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yep. For this draft, any non-playoff team can win the lotto to pick #1....but in future drafts (if the NHLPA approves) there will be something like 3 lotto picks for the top 3 spots in the draft, instead of just pick #1. And the odds of the tweener teams would be a bit better, as well.

Quick Melnyk threaten to fold the team like the Penguins did so that the NHL rigs the draft to give us a franchise player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad