GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Just want to say Tre's acquisitions were spot on, loved the fight and nastiness from the support cast. Edmundson, Boosh and Benoit were tremendous pickups. Domi and Bertuzzi play like real men. Even Reaves turned things around the second half of the season. One thing is for sure, we're not going to be pushed around.

I feel more comfortable with Treliving going forward than I did the day he was hired.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Over our last 11 games this year, only two players scored more than 2 goals. That would by Nylander with three and Tavares with Six.

I get it’s popular to crap on JT, and he certainly doesn’t provide value for his contract, but our failure isn’t strictly on him and he’ll likely be willing to extend fairly cheaply.

But it is likely Marner needs to be moved.
Why did you pick last 11 games? That just means that Tavares scored 5 goals in the last 4 meaningless regular season games. He took that momentum and put up 1G/1A in 7 games against Boston. That further accentuates the point that he’s not a playoff player.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
it's quite simple. I think Paul Marner is reading Twitter today and seeing the venom his kid is getting from the fanbase and the media. Paul Marner is all about image for his kid vs results.

I'm hoping Tre is like look it we don't plan on signing you so give me 15 teams you are willing to go to and you can get an 8th year from that team vs only 7 in FA.

In any trade I am looking at getting a younger 2C to fill the void for Tavares after next season.

If you sing Bert and Domi they play with Matthews. Knies and Nylander need that 2C after JT is let go the following season. That 2C can play 3C next year and bump up either during the season when JT falters again.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
Ottawa can't afford both Chychrun and Chabot. There's a deal in there somewhere with multiple players to balance cap limitations. Chabot + Batherson -> Lily + Marner.

Ottawa needs to make the playoffs. Paul can drive to Kanata to keep an eye on Mitchy.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't see why Domi or Bertuzzi would stay.

Not sure why they wouldn't if the money is right, especially Domi. I don't care for Bertuzzi at all though and would prefer not having him back but he'd be crazy not to take a deal if they are offering what he's making now.

Reactions: LeafSteel

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Think Tre tries to imitate the Klingberg signing with Montour.

This team needs more skating, puck skill and just overall quality from the backend. He'd be a good target to improve an area where we really sucked through the year.

Just want to say Tre's acquisitions were spot on, loved the fight and nastiness from the support cast. Edmundson, Boosh and Benoit were tremendous pickups. Domi and Bertuzzi play like real men. Even Reaves turned things around the second half of the season. One thing is for sure, we're not going to be pushed around.

I feel more comfortable with Treliving going forward than I did the day he was hired.

A full off-season to evaluate, to bring in his own coach and to put a stamp on his team. He walked into a pretty rough situation, it didn't get better and now we're here. We'll see. His track record isn't great and I am very nervous about what he can do. But I'm hoping he'll prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Im still curious if theres a potential buy out team out their for Tavares.

If a team wants to reach the floor and use a buy out, the Leafs can trade him after his July 1 bonus is paid to a team with arb. 10.3m cap hit for 300k

Unfortunately Arizona had already moved. I don’t even know if the asset to attach would be much. Tavares could then re-sign at a reasonable cap hit to play 3C.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
At this point you even call the wings to swap Holl with Liljegren. Like "our bad we kept the wrong one out of the 2". That's how trash Lil is and at least Holl can PK

• Haha
Reactions: Griffin76

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Maybe a Marner package to Utah for Crouse, Geekie and Lamoureux

Saves us cap and we get a great power forward and then two high end prospects that can play sooner than later
The very reason you like the trade is the very same reason Utah laughs and hangs up.

What do they get by adding Marner? They give up prospects and might take themselves out of the bottom 10 - for a pending UFA who is gone in a year.

If people are going to take the time to make trades, at least have a passing idea of what the other team needs and motivations are. NHL23 trades need not apply.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
This team needs more skating, puck skill and just overall quality from the backend. He'd be a good target to improve an area where we really sucked through the year.

A full off-season to evaluate, to bring in his own coach and to put a stamp on his team. He walked into a pretty rough situation, it didn't get better and now we're here. We'll see. His track record isn't great and I am very nervous about what he can do. But I'm hoping he'll prove me wrong.
He makes me a tad nervous with cap space to spend, but most GMs do. At the very least, I know we'll be a tougher team to play against.

Reactions: aingefan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've said it a million times and I'll say it again -- if you're trading Marner, Seattle is a great city but I have no idea if Marner would be interested. It's a solid team in dire need of a star player. They really need to be aggressive and go back to last seasons level of offense. Ron Francis is on the hot seat as well. They have assets and picks to make a play. They might even be favourites for Sheldon Keefe.

Another team that would be a wild card and they need more offense is Nashville. That city is awesome and they really could use a star player next to Forsberg. ROR and Schenn would be familar faces. Their RW/offense depth is pretty rough. They got picks and they have some assets that could work.

Those are the 2 teams I'd look at trading Marner with if there's a way to make it work.

Last edited:

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I can see Domi staying on a small increase. Bertuzzi will be looking to get paid though.
Yea, I guess I meant more in the vein that if they want to win, they aren't staying here. Next season is a bridge season, whatever happens, happens, and it won't be a cup lol.

They are both 29... so not too old, three years max for me on both if it somehow happened. Domi especially provided good depth and lineup options.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
The very reason you like the trade is the very same reason Utah laughs and hangs up.

What do they get by adding Marner? They give up prospects and might take themselves out of the bottom 10 - for a pending UFA who is gone in a year.

If people are going to take the time to make trades, at least have a passing idea of what the other team needs and motivations are. NHL23 trades need not apply.
I don't think a Marner trade is ever near fair value. We will be trading away the "best" player in the trade, so theoretically we lose the trade. But, any incoming assets and more importantly the 11 million cap space make it a win overall for us imo. There cannot be any retention, period.

I also believe it just happens to be Marner who is due the extension... you could probably swap that with any of the core and the thought process would be similar, though don't think we are ever trading Matthews.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Im still curious if theres a potential buy out team out their for Tavares.

If a team wants to reach the floor and use a buy out, the Leafs can trade him after his July 1 bonus is paid to a team with arb. 10.3m cap hit for 300k

Unfortunately Arizona had already moved. I don’t even know if the asset to attach would be much. Tavares could then re-sign at a reasonable cap hit to play 3C.
I think we just let him play out his contract no? If, I mean when, a new coach is hired, he will have the impetus to look at his captains, and maybe makes a change there. So JT can just play that final season, make a call at the trade deadline if he wants to stay. It would not shock me at all to see him resigned on a 2 year low cost contract.

I just don't see what we gain by moving him. He can play down the lineup regardless of his salary, and the real move this off season has to be Marner and freeing up that 11 million.

Reactions: kb

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think we just let him play out his contract no? If, I mean when, a new coach is hired, he will have the impetus to look at his captains, and maybe makes a change there. So JT can just play that final season, make a call at the trade deadline if he wants to stay. It would not shock me at all to see him resigned on a 2 year low cost contract.

I just don't see what we gain by moving him. He can play down the lineup regardless of his salary, and the real move this off season has to be Marner and freeing up that 11 million.
Rather get something for him than let him walk for nothing. I'd retain to get a better return.

At this point he is a bad own rental.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

You could say that about any team. "Why would they?" Probably because they want a good player to finally get out of the basement? Having a million prospects is great but at some point, you have to take the next step. They could very well just take the risk and hope Marner re-signs if it works out for them.

It's also likely whoever trades for him if traded will have had talks with his agent to get an idea of what they want and if they can re-up as of July 1st.

Marner will choose where he wants to go if the Leafs push for it but he won't be able to go to a great team probably because of his salary, so as Luongo once said "My contract sucks". Maybe he'll want to just go anywhere that works for the Leafs as long as the city is great.

Last edited:

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

Depends on what happens all around. If Marner won’t waive, then I think we need to get creative (I expect Marner will want to get away from Toronto at this point though).

If Tavares doesn’t want to waive, he could get some good PR by extending at a low rate and passing along the captaincy to Matthews. I’d like to get creative if possible within the CBA to bring him back cheaper ASAP. But I realize that it a stretch.

It’s clear to me that we need a 2C who can keep up. Tavares as 3C is fine, maybe even mentoring Minten through on his wing… although I think Minten needs some AHL seasoning first.

Both Utah and Seattle strike me as good fits for Marner. Both organizations could use an established star. They need to establish market success by reaching playoffs. Marner will help them do that and I think he can succeed outside of the Toronto spotlight.

A package around Wright would be good. Theres a responsible 2C for the future.

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Marner for Saros. They are looking to move him with Ashkarov coming up.

Bobrovsky, Swayman, Shesterkin, Demko (injured), Skinner and even Andersen are all big upgrades on what we have in net and no coincidence they are thru to the second round.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Depends on what happens all around. If Marner won’t waive, then I think we need to get creative (I expect Marner will want to get away from Toronto at this point though).

If Tavares doesn’t want to waive, he could get some good PR by extending at a low rate and passing along the captaincy to Matthews. I’d like to get creative if possible within the CBA to bring him back cheaper ASAP. But I realize that it a stretch.

It’s clear to me that we need a 2C who can keep up. Tavares as 3C is fine, maybe even mentoring Minten through on his wing… although I think Minten needs some AHL seasoning first.

Both Utah and Seattle strike me as good fits for Marner. Both organizations could use an established star. They need to establish market success by reaching playoffs. Marner will help them do that and I think he can succeed outside of the Toronto spotlight.

A package around Wright would be good. Theres a responsible 2C for the future.

It's a good off-season to make the switch from Tavares to Matthews as captain. No hard feelings, just business. Change it up. Tavares can stick around as the new Spezza eventually. I get people are frustrated with him but he battles and I think he's got more in the tank as we move forward. He still got 65 points this year.

Marner for Saros. They are looking to move him with Ashkarov coming up.

Bobrovsky, Swayman, Shesterkin, Demko (injured), Skinner and even Andersen are all big upgrades on what we have in net and no coincidence they are thru to the second round.

That's one possibility that I think could happen. Both are UFAs in a years time. I'm not super high on Saros but hard to argue how good he's been overall, He was pretty poopy in the playoffs. I love Joseph Woll but the guy is made of glass, so the Leafs need to find a goaltender and that fits.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad