McDavid with the best impact on xGF% of the Analytics Era

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

I know we have enough threads about Hart candidates already, but I couldn't help myself with this one.

It's crazy that some people are discluding McDavid from their Hart discussions. He's leading the league in points with a career low shooting percentage, and his impact in terms of xGF is the highest in history. (A RAPM xGF/60 of 0.646, second highest in the analytics era is McDavid's 2017-18 season)

That people are calling this a disappointing season from him just goes to show how this level of dominance has become the norm for him.

Aug 3, 2010
I understand he's been unluckier than usual but at the end of the day it's about as useful for determining MVPs and the like as "point pace" arguments.

Just get it done... whether that's scoring 60 goals or 150 points or whatever the metric is.

Sucks for him but they ask "how many" and not "how". Maybe he'll have a true "breakout year" next year which would be amazing.

Reactions: Dust

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I understand he's been unluckier than usual but at the end of the day it's about as useful for determining MVPs and the like as "point pace" arguments.

Just get it done... whether that's scoring 60 goals or 150 points or whatever the metric is.

Sucks for him but they ask "how many" and not "how". Maybe he'll have a true "breakout year" next year which would be amazing.

If people want to use actual results rather than expected results, why do people ignore the fact that McDavid has been on for far less goals against than an elite defensive forward like Matthews?

I get Matthews has had unlucky goaltending at ES, but the argument goes both ways.

Aug 3, 2010
If people want to use actual results rather than expected results, why do people ignore the fact that McDavid has been on for far less goals against than an elite defensive forward like Matthews?

I get Matthews has had unlucky goaltending at ES, but the argument goes both ways.
Hell if I know, I don't follow what Matthews does either but I do know that I'm much more ready to acknowledge Matthews as a 50 or 60 goal scorer once he hits the mark and not the pace.

Professional athletes and their fans dream about 'what-ifs', but the 'what-is' is the only thing that matters, IMO.

BTW: it's far fewer not less; just a pet peeve.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Using raw goals against is such a terrible metric for evaluating player impact defensively. I’m not saying that you’re suggesting otherwise but Matthew’s expected goals for/against metrics are near the very top of the league and he’s also 2nd in ppg in the league, 0.01ppg behind McDavid.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Not shocking
McDavid was tops in the league like 4 years ago at HD scoring chance generation and he has continued that trend. He gets to the front of net inside the hashes A TON

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Using raw goals against is such a terrible metric for evaluating player impact defensively. I’m not saying that you’re suggesting otherwise but Matthew’s expected goals for/against metrics are near the very top of the league and he’s also 2nd in ppg in the league, 0.01ppg behind McDavid.
Why is raw goals against a worse metric than expected goals for or against? Genuinely curious about your rationale.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Why is raw goals against a worse metric than expected goals for or against? Genuinely curious about your rationale.
In short, a single player cannot influence whether a shot against becomes a goal against. If the leafs had a Zamboni driver in net for an entire season, chances are that the raw goals against are going to be very high just as a function of having a terrible goalie.

When you look at expected goals against though, things like quality of scoring chances, high danger shots against, and quantity of shots against are all taken into account. We also have lots of data that tell us the different percentages of shots that become goals based on where the shots are taken on the ice, hence expected goals for/against. You can also isolate these sorts of stats relative to players teammates to understand if the have a net positive or negative impact to their respective teams when they’re on/off the ice.

Reactions: PuckG

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
How am I supposed to take a tweet seriously when it opens with, "I know there's several good candidates for the Hart this year, but the lack of talk about McDavid is surprising".

f***ing what. Lack of talk? In literally every discussion on the topic of the Hart, everyone and I mean everyone has McDavid at minimum a candidate at the very least. Twitter really is the dumbest place on the internet, makes HF look knowledgeable.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

There’s some truth to this, but in general a forward’s impact on save percentage is much smaller than his impact on on-ice shooting percentage. McDavid being unlucky should be taken into account to some degree, but less so than Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad