News Article: McDavid: Playing for Leafs would be a "dream come true"

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Every year, some draft pick or big time UFA says this. The draft pick doesn't isn't there when it's our turn, the free agent doesn't even entertain our offers.
Exactly! Was thinking the same thing.

Didn't Tavares say basically the same thing?
More or less?

http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=254821

NHL on TSN: With the Toronto Maple Leafs off to a surprising start, they're well out of position again. It's really early, but you grew up around here. Do you want to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs - would that be your dream?

John Tavares: "My dream is to play in the National Hockey League. I think anywhere I go, I'll be really happy and excited. If it's Toronto, it should be just as great because family and friends won't have to travel too far to see me. That would be a good thing."

NHL on TSN: So you're cheering for the opposition against the Leafs, then?

John Tavares: "Well, I'm a big Leafs fan. I'm glad to see Luke Schenn doing well, so it's nice to see them well and playing good."

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/09/14/so-john-tavares-isnt-desperate-to-play-for-the-leafs/

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
"Playing for the Leafs would be a dream come true"

... except after a few years in New York, Tampa Bay, or some other hockey wilderness.

Then the dream disappears for another 20-or-so years until said player is over-the-hill and wants to fulfill his childhood dream before retiring.

Feb 24, 2004
Here's what will happen. The bottom six teams will be 1) Buffalo 2)Edmonton 3)Arizona 4)Carolina 5)Toronto 6)New Jersey. TSN draft special here comes Daly with the announcement. Number 5 belongs to the Carolina Hurricanes. Leafs nation collectively craps there pants. Arizona 4,Edmonton 3 and Buffalo 2. And the 1st overall pick goes to................The New Jersey Devils.:rant::banghead::facepalm:

This can't happen. We would have been revealed as the #6 pick (they will run through all 14 spots).

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
"Playing for the Leafs would be a dream come true"

... except after a few years in New York, Tampa Bay, or some other hockey wilderness.

Then the dream disappears for another 20-or-so years until said player is over-the-hill and wants to fulfill his childhood dream before retiring.

This just can't be allowed! If said players chose to sign long term elsewhere, during their prime years, they should not be welcomed to sign with our Leafs on the downside of their careers later.

Come home and be productive in your prime, or, just STAY AWAY!

Chandler55

Mar 9, 2004
I think players are attracted to good teams and good ownership rather than geography.
we need to prove the first two before we dream of any stamkos mcdavid tandem

Tyler Biggs*

He was a Leafs fan growing up.... Makes total sense to say it would be a dream come true. These comments bashing are just hilariously pathetic

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Toronto Maple Leafs are the "Rosebud" of NHL star's childhoods. Means a lot growing up but you get drafted into easier markets and you forget about Toronto other than coming back to do corporate sponsorships, or else come limping back to finish your days close to friends and family.

Poor us.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
That was why Eric Lindros was so awesome, he did everything in his power to put on the Maple Leafs uniform. Too bad there was a guy name Bob Clarke standing in the way.

pmalte

Feb 10, 2015
This kid lives right next to me small'ish town just an hour north of Toronto. If the Leafs don't throw everything they have on the table (Except Rielly) to draft this kid it'll be like when Toronto had the first look at Bobby way back when but never gave the kid from Port Perry one look

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That was why Eric Lindros was so awesome, he did everything in his power to put on the Maple Leafs uniform. Too bad there was a guy name Bob Clarke standing in the way.

Yeah, and he made his way back after all. Too bad it was only for the one year.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
if we finish top(bottom) 5 i feel like we'll win the draft lottery this year. Fate is coming

NotSince67*

I think it was also David Clarkson who said it was a "dream come true"

:baghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad