Mcdavid, Ovi, or current stars in the clutch and grab era?

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017

-Oilers......

9aJ5Z7A.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
im not trying to say ovechkin is anywhere close to gretzky, mario, etc

i will say ovechkin might have broken the all time goal record if he did play in the gretzky time period

You realize he wouldn't be allowed to bring his composite stick with him in this hypothetical time machine, right?

I know it's hard to believe, but there were some decent players back then who could actually shoot the puck better than ECHL level players. So I'm pretty sure quite a few of those guys could also have shattered those records if they had access to the same equipment today's players have. For example, you don't think an all-time elite sniper like Bossy couldn't have wracked up even more goals if he had today's stick to use?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
You realize he wouldn't be allowed to bring his composite stick with him in this hypothetical time machine, right?

I know it's hard to believe, but there were some decent players back then who could actually shoot the puck better than ECHL level players. So I'm pretty sure quite a few of those guys could also have shattered those records if they had access to the same equipment today's players have. For example, you don't think an all-time elite sniper like Bossy couldn't have wracked up even more goals if he had today's stick to use?

except i said nothing about sticks. its the way the goalies and defenders were

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
except i said nothing about sticks. its the way the goalies and defenders were

But sticks factor in because you're acting like Ovechkin would still be wiring the puck as fast as he does now with a composite stick, even using a wooden stick that has zero flex.

You can't just take a guy from today's game and drop him into the 1980s and assume EVERYTHING about what makes him good would transfer over since, especially when it comes to how hard players shoot today, that's equipment dependent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad