Dreger: McDavid may cost 14 million

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
He's worth every penny. While I dont blame him for wanting to get paid, I would hope these guys would take less money to build a better team around them and make the real money on the side with sponsorships.

All about their agent I guess. I think Crosby recognized that early. Take less, win, and you'll still make stupid money on the side.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
If Mcdavid has faith in Chia he'll take a little less but if he doesn't my guess is he'll sign the max.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
Any two Leafs rookies won't cost that much coming off their ELCs... Seems like way too much if Edmonton actually wants to win anything.

They sure as hell aren't gonna win anything without him. He'll get whatever he wants. What it is he actually wants is the question.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
as long as they can keep McDavid and Drai long term, they can win.... they are the main pieces

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
14 mill worth it Get out , hawks won 3 cups and towes make 10.5 , I dont care how good you are to demand 14 mill with out making it past the second round of the play offs is unreal . get real . 12 MILL tops

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
With rumours like this and Toews and Kane contracts it makes you appreciate Sid that much more

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
14 mill worth it Get out , hawks won 3 cups and towes make 10.5 , I dont care how good you are to demand 14 mill with out making it past the second round of the play offs is unreal . get real . 10 MILL tops

He's been in the league only two years. Oilers will have a decent chance of getting to WCF this year.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Not that I don't think he is worth it but being as he's the captain of the team he should also look at the cap and realize that to have a good team he shouldn't handcuff them either. Again as the captain he should always be looking to make this team better and if it means accepting a little less then so be it.

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
Sounds about right what they would ask for if you're looking at 8 years (which buys 4 of his prime UFA earning years).

I think it'll end up somewhere around $12M per year, which strangely enough the math works out for the superstitious. $97M over 8 years, $12.125M per season.

And I think he's worth that and would pay that for him in a heartbeat if I'm the Oilers.

Bar Down

Bar Mexico
Jan 28, 2013
Beneath PPG Paints
Any team that pays a player that kind of money is going to have depth issues. The problem is, if he demands it, you literally have to give it to him or your fanbase will burn down the team headquarters. Hopefully he commands a more team-friendly salary than this for the Oilers' sake, especially if they want to keep Draisaitl and others longer term.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
With rumours like this and Toews and Kane contracts it makes you appreciate Sid that much more

Crosby's deal was signed pre-lockout and Toews/Kane was signed post lockout which is why the term varies greatly on respective deals.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
His agent sees guys already making 10.5.
He knows McDavid is likely the face of the NHL for the next decade.
He already won a scoring race in his 2nd year.
The Oilers are going to get all the prime years.
He knows that if he was a RFA next summer, a crazy offer WILL be given Vis an offersheet.
He won't want to be the 5th highest paid guy in a few years, so he sets the bar that everyone comes in below at.

My guess is he gets 8 years at 12.5 million per......100 million total.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Now entering the ring at six foot one, 195 pounds, hailing from Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada...

The CAP CRIPPLER! COOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNOOOOOORRRRRR McDAAAAAAAAAVID!!!

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
I like Matthews and i'm a Leafs fan but he scored 69 points in his rookie season. Mcdavid just scored 100 points in his 2nd year. In what world does he get close to Mcdavid money? His contract will be similar to what Eichel gets. Mcdavid gets a blank cheque whatever he wants.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If he asks for that, IMO Matthews will be looking for something similar a year later when the cap is even higher probably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad