McDavid is 3rd in points while Edmonton is 28th in NHL

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The biggest reason why the Oilers are "bad" is because of awful special teams. It's killed them this year.

5v5, they've been decent to great. While I concede playoffs are now a pipe dream, they've been getting a lot more puck luck lately as compared to the first couple months of the season.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
This is a weird thread...

Prime Ovechkin (firs few years in the league) he was every bit as dominant as McDavid is now. Guy was fast and a physical beast. He made insane acrobatic goals.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Cups or "big stage" was never the question. For the first 5 years both were in the league, Ovechkin dominated Crosby in goals, points, pace, and trophies. It's just a fact. Ovechkin was the best player in the world for the first five years he was in the league. Crosby was amazing as well, and that's why this entire rivalry started, but Ovechkin was dominating just a slight bit more than Crosby.

It certainly is not "just a fact". During those first five years both players had at least one Pearson, Richard, Hart, and Art Ross. Ovechkin definitely had the edge in personal hardware but to counter that Crosby's Pens had two trips to the SCF and one Cup. There were constant comparisons between the two both on message boards like HF and in the mainstream media.

Ovechkin was never the undisputed best player in the world.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I'll try to not be too long as I've posted something similar in another thread.
No question McD is a great player. Yet the Oil have had top picks for like a decade and are near the bottom of the West. It's more a question of Oiler mgt than McD. Curious what there fans are saying on HF about the owner/ GM/ HC. I don't see how you can explain the current Oil position in the standings w/ "their PP is a joke". How? Is McD all they got from top picks year after year after... o_O

Ovi had little to work with in his first few seasons in the NHL and had to adjust to the NHL, culture, language, etc. He was a superstar from the get go. Those above that suggested he has needed more help than Sid to perform are making garbage posts. One on one Ovi was, maybe still is the more dynamic player. Better scorer, much better hitter. He's also 2 years older. Sid has had the luxury of playing with a truly great C, so that opposing teams couldn't put there best defenders solely on 87. Exchange Ovi and Malkin and Ovi most likely has 3 SC. Sid has won Olympic goal. BFD, and I'm not disparaging the Olympics. Even casual fans know that with pros (or w/o) the Canadian team is stacked.

The never beyond second round comments are never mentioned in context. Only when Holtby arrived have the Caps had a top goalie and he was off last playoffs. Sure, Caps were upset in 2010 (so were SC champ Pens by the same team). The Pens had to go through the Caps in tough series in every one of their three SCs. If the NHL didn't use bizarre seeding at least one or two of those seasons they might have meet in the ECF.
Since you are a Capitals fan, you may not have heard of our woes for the past 10 years with the Tambo/Lowe/MacT era.
Our top picks were not insulated with a proper defense or forward backing. We got crappy players in the off season like Belanger, Eager and Hordichuk and Tambo would smile like he just stole the world. Our scouting was shit beyond the first round and even then we had some stinkers. Our development was shit and still is shit.
Plus.. Aside from McDavid and slightly less Hall, our 1st overalls were not world beaters in any way. They were average, slightly better than the rest players, because you can't tell me that Yakupov or RNH can carry a team on their own.

Capitals actually managed to get a good team with great drafting and developing, that's where the Oilers problem lies. For the last 12 years and counting.

And yea, we aren't doing too well now, but I still believe this season is an anomaly and we should be closer to the team we were last year. I don't know how well the Caps would be doing without Carlson, Niskanen and Holtby right now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
As a Russian I really want to know what is wrong with McDavid? Is he secretly a lazy Russian like Ovechkin? Will he ever make a playoff again? After reading HFBoard I came to conclusion that the only explanation is his obvious lack of mental toughness, leadership and intangibles. Also, all his points means nothing, cause his team is not winning. He is scoring only when it is not important. When it really matters he never scores.

Did I miss something? I mean it is the only possible explanation. I am sure I cannot be wrong.

This is a really good post.
The media/fans don't turn on other players as they do on Russian players.

Good food for thought.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Good player on a bad team. Give it all you got for 82 games, and enjoy drinking, gambling, and golfing with the Great One in April.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Since you are a Capitals fan, you may not have heard of our woes for the past 10 years with the Tambo/Lowe/MacT era.
Our top picks were not insulated with a proper defense or forward backing. We got crappy players in the off season like Belanger, Eager and Hordichuk and Tambo would smile like he just stole the world. Our scouting was **** beyond the first round and even then we had some stinkers. Our development was **** and still is ****.
Plus.. Aside from McDavid and slightly less Hall, our 1st overalls were not world beaters in any way. They were average, slightly better than the rest players, because you can't tell me that Yakupov or RNH can carry a team on their own.

Capitals actually managed to get a good team with great drafting and developing, that's where the Oilers problem lies. For the last 12 years and counting.

And yea, we aren't doing too well now, but I still believe this season is an anomaly and we should be closer to the team we were last year. I don't know how well the Caps would be doing without Carlson, Niskanen and Holtby right now.
No doubt I follow the East closer than the West. Here and there I've read about the Oilers problems, just don't focus on it.

There can be negative and positive anomalies or variance from expected performance. Put another way, next season the Oilers might be high in the standings and look like contenders. Fans will think - where did they come from or well, it's about time ;) They could have a run later this season that might be too late, but give an idea of what they could do the following season. Then again they might continue to disappoint.

Players like Vrana are coming along and the Ovi-Backstrom-Wilson line has been playing well :popcorn:

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
No doubt I follow the East closer than the West. Here and there I've read about the Oilers problems, just don't focus on it.

There can be negative and positive anomalies or variance from expected performance. Put another way, next season the Oilers might be high in the standings and look like contenders. Fans will think - where did they come from or well, it's about time ;) They could have a run later this season that might be too late, but give an idea of what they could do the following season. Then again they might continue to disappoint.

Players like Vrana are coming along and the Ovi-Backstrom-Wilson line has been playing well :popcorn:
We wouldn't say "its about time" cause we made it as far as the Capitals last year and that's what we expect from here on in lol

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Never for a five year span. And even then some argued that Crosby was the one better to build around to win.

That's what I mean by knowing what we know now.

Was there ever a time where you would take OV over Crosby as your team's centerpiece without thinking about it? While OV was putting up big numbers during those 3 years, Crosby was never far behind, showed his versatility as an all around offensive force, and was dominating in the playoffs including two SCFs appearances. Add to that the Golden Goal.

After their 1st five years, I think both had Top 5 to Top 10 best starts to their careers in NHL history.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
McDavid = lazy Russian: CONFIRMED

:laugh:

It's funny reading thru this thread and seeing who actually takes the time to read a thread vs who sees a title and just HAS to throw out their 2 cents.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Never for a five year span. And even then some argued that Crosby was the one better to build around to win.
Does it have to be a 5 year span? Is that the standard? From 2008-10, it was a well known and agreed upon thing that Ovechkin was the best player in the world. His suspension in 2010 costs him more hardware, including a third straight Hart. But from 2012 on, Crosby hit his stride big time, but it was cut short due to injuries. All while Ovechkin maintained his top goal scoring form for a few years. Crosby has definitely maintained a higher level and better all around play than Ovechkin during the last few years, but before that, it was Ovechkin.

Building around a player and being the best player in the league can be different. Crosby did win a cup within that time span with a finals appearance before that, but that doesn't mean he was better than a Ovechkin during those 3 years.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
So called generational players are supposed to make their teammates better. Just shows that while an amazing talent. It's just an individual talent.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
So called generational players are supposed to make their teammates better. Just shows that while an amazing talent. It's just an individual talent.

He absolutely makes his teammates better. Not his fault they miss open nets on his insane dishes. :p

In reality, it's been an off year for the Oilers. They haven't had the consistency in play they had last year. There have been games they look like the best team in the NHL and then games where they look like Coyotes 2.0. It also doesn't help they're missing their 2 best defensemen and their starting goalie.

They'll figure it out - and I genuinely believe that. They just need to figure it out NOW otherwise it is probably too late for playoffs. The next 4 games are make or break for this team against some insane competition .

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
The biggest reason why the Oilers are "bad" is because of awful special teams. It's killed them this year.

5v5, they've been decent to great. While I concede playoffs are now a pipe dream, they've been getting a lot more puck luck lately as compared to the first couple months of the season.

I will say its goaltending. A .900 sv % rarely makes the playooffs.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
He'd make 20+ other teams (add him, remove their first selection in his draft year) an instant top ranked SC contender.

With Edm, he's going to miss.

Wonder if thats how he envisioned his career as a kid?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad