McDavid in his first 6 seasons vs Ovechkin in his first 6 seasons: Who was better?

McDavid in his first 6 seasons vs Ovechkin in his first 6 seasons: Who was better?

• Total voters

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Ovechkin easily. I mean your getting a guy with a 65 goal season in the modern era. That's pretty unique.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Ovechkin was much more consistently a threat every year. McDavid has is much more on/off

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yep, and on top of that if you take the playoffs into account (50 points in 37 games for Ovi) and it shouldn't be that close tbh.

I can see the case for this but took McDavid but probably should have taken too close to call.

the thing is that in international play MCDavid has a clear case over Ovi in this time period and that goes in the playoff/international factor for me, which I deal with separately than regular season.

The tipping point for me is that Ovi's level of play looks out of place in his 2nd and 6th seasons, McDavid has been more consistently elite overall.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ovechkin was much more consistently a threat every year. McDavid has is much more on/off

Yet the facts don't support this, Ovi's second year and 6th year are the 2 "worst" levels of play when you look at the 12 seasons combined.

McDavid has 661 adjusted points in 407 games in his first 6 seasons, Ovi has 643 in 475 games.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He probably deserves credit for half of the team's goals...

Yeah. Oilers haters need to get their narratives straight. Either the Oilers are a 2-man team, in which case McDavid is supremely important, or McDavid gets a lot of secondary assists without impacting the play, in which case there are many others on the team who are making plays and scoring without McDavid's input. Both can't simultaneously be true.

Reactions: wetcoast

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Peak Ovi was something to behold. A player we will probably never see again. He could beat you in so many ways, speed, power and finesse. For those who are too young to remember, this is what Ovis' first five years looked like. :popcorn:

Reactions: ujju2

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah. Oilers haters need to get their narratives straight. Either the Oilers are a 2-man team, in which case McDavid is supremely important, or McDavid gets a lot of secondary assists without impacting the play, in which case there are many others on the team who are making plays and scoring without McDavid's input. Both can't simultaneously be true.

Let's not get the facts in the way of a good narrative though eh?

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad