mcdavid + hall

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Then we can use our top-5 pick the year after for a top goalie.

...except I'm not sure what to do once we've filled up an entire lineup of top-5 picks. Do we go for another d-man with our top-5 pick the year after? Or another centre? I can't decide.

I was gonna say Chabot ruins him=check, then I remembered he was just fired. Made my day :)

Matador

Jun 20, 2007
Id be interested if someone could provide stats to prove me wrong, but when I watch Hall, I see a player whose incremental production doesn't change much depending on quality of teammates. Obviously better linemates help, but I don't see Hall benefiting to the degree that someone like Eberle, Perron or Purcell would.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
#1. As mind numbingly terrible as the Oilers have been I do not think we have a real shot at McDavid. At least 2-3 other teams will be right there with us and the Oilers love to go hard in the last month of the year when the other teams don't care or put in any effort.

#2. If we did get McDavid and he plays with Hall I still don't think Hall becomes a 50 goal scorer. 40+ is very likely but I would have to cap it around 45. Hall is incredibly skilled and a very good goal scorer but 50 seem a bit high. 45 goals & over 100 points is possible and extremely amazing in todays league tho and entirely possible.

#3. Most importantly if we did get McDavid it wouldn't impact our team in the standings much if at all. Our problem is management/coaching, defense, and then goaltending in that order. The Oilers ALWAYS fail when the other team comes hard at them. Doesn't matter how many goals the Oilers get if the other teams knows if they push hard enough they can always get at least one more for the win.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I think that rebuilding has fallen apart. Do not worry 2016 will be tanking again. We will see that some of the core will be moved during this season and the next.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Imagine if Mac-T recognized that we need to trade the pick and the trade totally backfired on him and the team that got Mcdavid won the cup 2 years later.

Yeah.... imagine.

Feb 9, 2013
I am starting to get on board with the idea of trading Hall too... Keep RNH and Draisaitl, and if (or when) McDavid plays for 'us' he can be sheltered behind RNH and Draisaitl - or RNH and Gordon. Center depth and defense is how a team is built, Hall and Eberle could fetch 'us' the defense 'we' need.

????? RNH Yakupov
????? Draisaitl ?????
????? McDavid ?????
????? Gordon ?????

McDavid starts with sheltered minutes and gradually works his way up line-up. Hall and Eberle and Perron bring in the quality and experienced defensemen the team needs. McDavid as the eventual #1 center, RNH as #2, and Draisaitl as #3... that is quality depth down the middle.

With that being said, Eakins being gone has to happen.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I am starting to get on board with the idea of trading Hall too... Keep RNH and Draisaitl, and if (or when) McDavid plays for 'us' he can be sheltered behind RNH and Draisaitl - or RNH and Gordon. Center depth and defense is how a team is built, Hall and Eberle could fetch 'us' the defense 'we' need.

????? RNH Yakupov
????? Draisaitl ?????
????? McDavid ?????
????? Gordon ?????

McDavid starts with sheltered minutes and gradually works his way up line-up. Hall and Eberle and Perron bring in the quality and experienced defensemen the team needs. McDavid as the eventual #1 center, RNH as #2, and Draisaitl as #3... that is quality depth down the middle.

With that being said, Eakins being gone has to happen.

Hard-nosed perennial 20 goal scorer - Mcdavid - Yakupov
Hard-nosed perennial 20 goal scorer - Draisaitl - Perron
Kessey-Yakimov- Slick 2 way savvy perennial 20 goal scorer
Moroz-Khaira-Pitlick

Nurse - Legit #1 d-man
Marincin - Soid #3 d-man. Someone who could play on the 1st pairing in a pinch.
Klefbom - Fayne

So I pretty much got rid of most of the team. This would be maybe a 3 year projection. It's crazy, but given the style of game Eakins wants us to play and the style of game that Mac-T wants to allow Eakins to play, I think this is what we should be looking for.

So Hall is traded for a legit #1 d-man. That sounds fair if you ask me.
Eberle is traded for what will be our 2nd and 3rd line wingers.
Hopkins is traded for our 1st line winger and #3 d-man.

These wingers...

They don't need to be superstars. They need to be highly competitive individuals that play with heart. They have to be willing to be out there to create space and go into the dirty areas.

It's my belief that Draisaitl, Mcdavid and Yakupov will turn them into much more productive players if they do their jobs properly.

That bottom 6 is going to beat the living bejesus out of a lot of teams.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Lack of talent isn't the issue for this roster. Adding another highly skilled youngster that needs the puck to be successful isn't going to do anything to help.

The lack of professionalism that exists around this organization is it's biggest issue, there's zero accountability and an acceptance for losing. Adding McDavid (or hell, even prime Crosby) doesn't solve that issue.

The roster shouldn't be this bad, however the effort level that this roster puts forth has them right where they deserve. Until they find a way to right that accountability structure, this team is going to stay in the basement.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Lack of talent isn't the issue for this roster. Adding another highly skilled youngster that needs the puck to be successful isn't going to do anything to help.

The lack of professionalism that exists around this organization is it's biggest issue, there's zero accountability and an acceptance for losing. Adding McDavid (or hell, even prime Crosby) doesn't solve that issue.

The roster shouldn't be this bad, however the effort level that this roster puts forth has them right where they deserve. Until they find a way to right that accountability structure, this team is going to stay in the basement.

Would more size help your team at all?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
This team is so depressing. If we finish in the bottom 5 I hope as fans we do something to clean out management.

Epoh

Nov 22, 2014
This team is so depressing. If we finish in the bottom 5 I hope as fans we do something to clean out management.

The refusal to buy anything and idea of 'picketing' is so trivial in the grand scheme imo. I'm all for rebellions, but people have too much money in Edmonton and we will always sell games unless you get a MASSIVE meme going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad