McDavid/Draisaitl vs Crosby/Malkin

Better Duo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
In the grand scheme of things, until the Oilers can win cups its the Pens duo. Oilers need to earn that respect and it’s only a matter of time before players of that calibre win. Right now without a doubt though its McDrai.
That being said I believe McDavid is better than Crosby and Draisaitl right now is this generations Malkin. All 4 are fantastic players but the championships bring them the respect they deserve.

CarlWising

Jun 4, 2018
Until the Oilers can win cups its the Pens duo. Oilers need to earn that respect and it’s only a matter of time before players of that calibre win.
Skill wise they’re up there but the penguins are champs... HEARTS OF LIONS.
Fair, I usually don’t like the “no cups” argument but in this instance that should be taken into account. Not their fault though, Chia really destroyed our roster

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
This type of thing is silly. You see this so much on HF that I sometimes wonder about the opinions on here.

Regardless of whether or not one believes Panarin is a superior player to Draisaitl, the gap between them doesn't equate to a 40 point increase for McDavid or almost doubling Panarin's point totals.

Perfect example was this supposed "explosion" Tavares was going to see when he went from "crap" wingers on the Islanders to playing with elite talent in Toronto. The end result? He went from a career high of 86 points with the Isles to a new career high of 88 points with the Leafs.
I get what your point is and you most likely are right but not all situations are equal. You're comparing playing with Leafs' players compared to playing with McDavid. And, Panarin is a much better player than Tavares is on the offensive side.

So while the 160 point projection is obviously crazy, I'm pretty sure Panarin would be a 105+ point scorer playing alongside McDavid. He was on pace for 113 points this past season on a lottery team without him.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
We’re all homers man, but yeah some rangers fans regarding Panarin... :skull:

They should just let it go.
48606F57-BEFC-4437-BDFA-5550B02C7989.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I get what your point is and you most likely are right but not all situations are equal. You're comparing playing with Leafs' players compared to playing with McDavid. And, Panarin is a much better player than Tavares is on the offensive side.

So while the 160 point projection is obviously crazy, I'm pretty sure Panarin would be a 105+ point scorer playing alongside McDavid. He was on pace for 113 points this past season on a lottery team without him.

Right, but that's my point. You'll see a bump, but you won't see the kind of ridiculous bump that poster suggested.

Going from mediocre linemates to good linemates might see a 10-ish point bump, but it's not going to practically double your production. And going from Draisaitl to Panarin isn't going to take McDavid from his 116 point career high to being a 160 point guy.

Reactions: Varan

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
This type of thing is silly. You see this so much on HF that I sometimes wonder about the opinions on here.

Regardless of whether or not one believes Panarin is a superior player to Draisaitl, the gap between them doesn't equate to a 40 point increase for McDavid or almost doubling Panarin's point totals.

Perfect example was this supposed "explosion" Tavares was going to see when he went from "crap" wingers on the Islanders to playing with elite talent in Toronto. The end result? He went from a career high of 86 points with the Isles to a new career high of 88 points with the Leafs.

remember when Heatley was gonna score 100 goals playing with Joe Thornton?

Reactions: GreeningOil

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Crosby & Malkin are old.

McDavid & Draisaitl are already both better than either Crosby or Malkin. Or a case can be made, at least. Maybe Crosby is still better than Draisaitl, its possible, but for how much longer?

1. McDavid
Drai / Sid tied
4. Malkin

The Oilers duo is better either way.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
This poll question needs more clarity. Am I voting for the past, present, or future?

I went with McDavid-Draisaitl for the present and the future. However, if the question was which duo was better in their prime, I would take Crosby-Malkin (even though McDavid-Draisaitl have not entered their prime).

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020

I always wonder but am to lazy to check, how many games do these guys on bad teams play against back up goalies?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's Crosby/Malkin across the board, regardless of how you ask the question (unless I suppose if you ask "right now").

If we're being generous to McDavid - we can say McDavid ~ Crosby. Similar tier, regardless of who you prefer or projections.
Drai has yet to show he's close to Malkin. This past season was fantastic - but it came out of nowhere. Have to see if it's repeatable first, then we can talk.

The poll also talks about "duo". One of the reasons Malkin and Crosby have been such a fantastic duo over the years is how they always step out when the other is missing. If you go look at either of Crosby or Malkin's best individual seasons - they always happen when the other guy misses a lot of time. They've been great in that way, always able to carry the team a little more when needed to step up.

I know this past season Drai looked great when McDavid missed ~10 games - but that's 10 games. Malkin/Crosby have made a career of doing this. They're the better duo

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Crosby/Geno
OV/Backstrom
McDavid/Drai

Hey McDraivid, there is more to hockey than offensive output. Win us some cups. Become better all around players. Maybe then, you will challenge Sid/Geno. But for now you aren't even ahead of Ovie and Backstrom

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019

uhh, it was a lottery team WITH him. They won 1OA

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Obviously Sid and Geno. The accomplishments, longevity, and peak ability between them is incredible.

McDrai haven’t touched that. Yet.
It’s all dependent on if the Oilers can put a strong team around them.

Pens went b2b finals with a cup win, without a strong roster. Malkin's wingers were Talbot and Fedetenko...

Oilers have the pieces to win, just don't have the leadership or compete level

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Pens went b2b finals with a cup win, without a strong roster. Malkin's wingers were Talbot and Fedetenko...

Oilers have the pieces to win, just don't have the leadership or compete level
Nah we don’t have a dman that could touch Gonchar/Letang and Koskinen is nowhere near MAF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad