McDavid Comments Hart vs Lindsay

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
As a player, unless you lost your mind, of course you value the opinion of your teammates and rivals more than the opinion of spectators, writers, watchers and shouters.

I can't see how anyone would ever dispute this. However, as far as commercial prestige goes, it's a different story. Hart is the bigger fish. Simple as that.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I think CMD is the best player in the league. I’m pretty sure if anyone had any choice they’d pick him first. That’s GMs, coaches and teammates.

He sounded whiny talking about the league staying consistent with the Hart voting though.

Again, he was the best this year but not the Most Valuable to his team than others were to theirs and not most valuable overall.

Dreger actually backed that up while praising CMD.

On fire in his last 33 games...26 goals

What we have to remember is that those goals didn’t nothing and mean nothing other than great individual stats for him.

Scored when the way the Oilers play was irrelevant (played him as much as they wanted and he played however he wanted)

Their season was over and that streak in scoring won him the art Ross but means less (to me) cause it was under no pressure or expectation other than whatever he laid on himself.
The league isn't consistent with anything outside of having the Blackhawks play an outdoor game.

Didn't seem whiney at all.

FYI the Oilers play was relevant for about 6 games before Christmas. There's only so far 1 player can carry a team

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
As someone already mentioned, McDavids tune would definitely change had he won the Hart and not the Lindsey.

Both the media and McDavid look petty discussing the issue because the Hart has always been the most prestigious award. Players and media always talk about winning the Hart trophy in the endless interviews done with the top players in the league. No one talks about the Lindsey.

The average fan probably doesn't even know what the Lindsey is for but they'll most definitely tell you what the Hart trophy is for.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Just because a player plays the opposite conference a couple times a year and may not watch every game, doesn't mean he's not up to speed on the players. To prepare for games, teams still have professional scouting videos to analyze the players and teams. They still have discussions among their peers.

I definitely feel the opinions of the players means more than that of the PHWA, so there's more credence to the Ted Lindsay award to me. The players have a higher level of understanding to play at this level, see the opposition first hand, and can appreciate the nuances that separate the great players from the good ones.

Reactions: Zaddy

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
This is a very unusual scenario; the likely Lindsay winner not getting a Hart nomination. Since 1980, the Lindsay winner is usually the Hart winner or was no worse than 2nd in Hart voting except for Steve Yzerman in 1989 who was very questionable Lindsay winner.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Do you really think they have time to watch more then 1 game per day given their work schedule and family life. There's only so many hours in a day.

A similar argument could be made for the players.

I can't speak for every media member, but the ones I know watch a lot of edited games on flights and in hotel rooms on the road.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am sure McDavid would be very happy to win either trophy, but if I was an NHL player I would feel more pride winning the trophy that the players I play with and against vote for rather then the media who are hockey fans who talk or write about hockey for a living. I would respect my peers opinion far more then the media.

Reactions: Dieseloil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad