McDavid Comments Hart vs Lindsay

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
He's being so politically correct in this interview... But I guess he has to be as the "face" of the NHL.
I like how he said he hopes that they are consistent with the criteria for the Hart.
PHWA is a joke anyway. Not sure why these idiots led by Mark Spector of all people handle the vote on a major NHL award.

Dreger is a horrible interviewer. He's just putting words in McDavid's mouth half the time. They even had to zoom in on a "Reserved" sign that says "Dreger's Cafe" to make this segment look better than it actually is haha

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The Lindsay should be the more prestigious award as it’s voted by the players, you know the guys that actually play against each other and experience the talent hands on.

The Hart gets more hype in the media because the media votes on it. Move along.

I doubt players have time to watch games other than the ones they’re involved in.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The Lindsay should be the more prestigious award as it’s voted by the players, you know the guys that actually play against each other and experience the talent hands on.

The players are extremely biased towards players in their own conference. It's clear that most don't pay attention to players they face infrequently

Reactions: Iceman

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I doubt players have time to watch games other than the ones they’re involved in.

They still play every player/team twice per year so they can get plenty of looks at a very low level the media and fans don't have access too.

edit: and as someone else mentioned, how much to the media watch playrs/games out of their market?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
There are some odd historical picks which I'm aware of, but for the last 15 years or so the Lindsay probably has been the more impressive award.

Jagr has a convincing argument for 06. 09/10? Ovechkin was easily better than Henrik Sedin. Ditto to 12/13 with Crosby and Ovechkin. 2011 Daniel Sedin was probably more impressive than Corey Perry. McDavid was the best player this year and will likely have a Lindsay to show for it, but not a Hart.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
They still play every player/team twice per year so they can get plenty of looks at a very low level the media and fans don't have access too.

edit: and as someone else mentioned, how much to the media watch playrs/games out of their market?

By your logic though, a player could not be voting for a guy who sucked only against his team

Reactions: LiasAndersson

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
There are some odd historical picks which I'm aware of, but for the last 15 years or so the Lindsay probably has been the more impressive award.

Jagr has a convincing argument for 06. 09/10? Ovechkin was easily better than Henrik Sedin. Ditto to 12/13 with Crosby and Ovechkin. McDavid was the best player this year and will probably have a Lindsay to show for it, but not a Hart.

I have no issue with McDavid not winning the Hart, as the definition of the trophy is “most valuable player to his team” and I think Hall has that by a mile this year.

If the definition was “most valuable player in the league” then the criteria has changed.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
By your logic though, a player could not be voting for a guy who sucked only against his team

Again, just like media members might not vote for a guy who sucked vs the 2+ games they saw vs their team.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I would assume the media look more than their homer team, but I'm sure it's not the case with all of them.

I'm not sure. But a lof of players keep up with what goes on around the league and watch the highlights and NHL network too.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
The players are extremely biased towards players in their own conference. It's clear that most don't pay attention to players they face infrequently
No doubt.

A lot of players face each other like 2 minutes per season.
I have no issue with McDavid not winning the Hart, as the definition of the trophy is “most valuable player to his team” and I think Hall has that by a mile this year.

If the definition was “most valuable player in the league” then the criteria has changed.
The award has pretty much always just been "best player in the league". Obviously not the case this year for some reason.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You guys realize that the players spend hours a day studying video on teams/players since it’s oart of their jobs. It’s much more then coming to the rink for a 1 hour practice or a game. These guys watch more video then any member of the media. Mcdavid is also one of the only players in the league where an entire team will change it’s defenisve strategy for when he’s on the ice.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
You guys realize that the players spend hours a day studying video on teams/players since it’s oart of their jobs. It’s much more then coming to the rink for a 1 hour practice or a game. These guys watch more video then any member of the media. Mcdavid is also one of the only players in the league where an entire team will change it’s defenisve strategy for when he’s on the ice.

They watch snipped video's, pointing out tendency's and what you can do to exploit or stop them. They're not watching video's showcasing a player deking through a team or making no look passes.

For instance, a video on McDavid would show his much practiced 3 point wind up the ice without the puck, in which he opens to take a pass 3 times. 1st open to take the puck up the ice, 2nd for a quick play attack, 3rd which is the variable dump/break past close side D or pace his skating for far wingers support. A video on Crosby would show him turning back and forth deep in the offensive zone, waiting for opponents D formation to break and then passing it to his Dman for a shot.

There's no point in wasting time watching talented players make plays naturally based on the situation, because guys like McDavid/Crosby can make up plays up the fly. So you pay attention to things they've practiced and their tendency's, so you can actually create counters to it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They watch snipped video's, pointing out tendency's and what you can do to exploit or stop them. They're not watching video's showcasing a player deking through a team or making no look passes.

For instance, a video on McDavid would show his much practiced 3 point wind up the ice without the puck, in which he opens to take a pass 3 times. 1st open to take the puck up the ice, 2nd for a quick play attack, 3rd which is the variable dump/break past close side D or pace his skating for far wingers support. A video on Crosby would show him turning back and forth deep in the offensive zone, waiting for opponents D formation to break and then passing it to his Dman for a shot.

There's no point in wasting time watching talented players make plays naturally based on the situation, because guys like McDavid/Crosby can make up plays up the fly. So you pay attention to things they've practiced and their tendency's, so you can actually create counters to it.

It's still more then 99% of the media. Most of them just watch the teams they're covering then the highlights for the other teams.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

Lots of players talk about watching games. Hall for example watches tons of games every week as he mentioned in an interview

why do you say that? Have winners of this award not been deserving in your eyes or have there been any clear misses by the players voting?

They always seem to get it right, so they gotta be paying attention.

You guys act like these players aren't extremely motivated and detail oriented. Lots of guys are pouring over tape

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Only issue would be potential player rivalries and things like that. It's still better than the media voting and part of the reason the Pearson doesn't get much support is the results are never released publicly so its hard to see how the voting went.

The Norris has pretty much become the award for highest scoring defensemen, not the actual best DEFENCEman.

Similarly, the Hart has gone to the Art Ross winner every year post lockout except 2013 (Ovy went on a a tear the last couple weeks of the short season) and 2015 (worst scoring race in a long time; the winner's team didn't make the playoffs). The highest scorer is usually the most valuable player in the league, or close to it. Mind you, Mike Trout showed us in 2016 that you can be the MVP while missing the playoffs (then again, baseball has less playoff teams).

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
It's still more then 99% of the media. Most of them just watch the teams they're covering then the highlights for the other teams.

A lot of folks in this thread who are making wild-assed claims based upon nothing more than wanting to be right about this argument.

You have absolutely no idea how much hockey "99% of the media" watches.

Reactions: MacBradley

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
I think CMD is the best player in the league. I’m pretty sure if anyone had any choice they’d pick him first. That’s GMs, coaches and teammates.

He sounded whiny talking about the league staying consistent with the Hart voting though.

Again, he was the best this year but not the Most Valuable to his team than others were to theirs and not most valuable overall.

Dreger actually backed that up while praising CMD.

On fire in his last 33 games...26 goals

What we have to remember is that those goals didn’t nothing and mean nothing other than great individual stats for him.

Scored when the way the Oilers play was irrelevant (played him as much as they wanted and he played however he wanted)

Their season was over and that streak in scoring won him the art Ross but means less (to me) cause it was under no pressure or expectation other than whatever he laid on himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad