McDavid becomes the 4th player in NHL history to record 100 assists in a season (mod warning post #50)

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Worth noting that Lemieux had 2 goals in the final game of the season to finish at 199, including the OT winner.
And his OT winner was into an empty-net... I kid you not.

Pretty amazing season for the top scorers. It's a bit like 1992-93 again, except the 2nd line guys don't score as much now.

There are currently nine 100 point scorers. Can Nylander make it 10?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Great accomplishment - congratulations.

Lots of talks about whether 70 goals or 100 assists is better this year.

One thing that is absolutely undeniable - it's a hell of a lot more cool to join a list of "only Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr did it before". It just sounds nice :)

Congrats to McDavid, another amazing season. Don't forget how literally 90% of people here - if not more - had completely written off both McDavid and the Oilers by US Thanksgiving. One of the most amazing in-season turnarounds in hockey history maybe.

I also think we're about to see something special come playoffs from McDrai yet again.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Hyman was a 40 point guy with Matthews AND Nylander/Marner.

He’s now a 50 goal 80 point guy with McDavid and Nuge.

That’s some Rob Brown shit and demonstrates the true separation between elite talent and generational talent.

Nice spin job.

First thing, the last two seasons in Toronto he was well over a 40 point pace. 37 in 51 and 33 in 43.

Anyone who has watched Hyman in both places would tell you his individual skill of converting chances has improved, it’s not just because of his linemates that he’s more productive.

Also very important to point out that Hyman essentially did not play powerplay in Toronto.

Hyman was a 60+ point player his last couple years in Toronto with little to no pp time and a ton of unconverted chances (if memory serves he was among the league leaders in this regard)

There’s no world in which having watched Hyman as a leaf I’d have expected him I score 50. That’s pretty wild. But if we had ever put him on the powerplay to any meaningful extent he would have been over 70-75 points in all likelihood

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Incredible stat. Amazing goal season followed by a historical assist season.

Now oilers fans have to cheer for the leafs for one game…hoping they keep kuch off the assist board on Wednesday ;)
Really Kuch getting 100 along with McDavid doesn't take away from the feat any more than mogilny and Selanne both scoring 76 goals in 92-93

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Really Kuch getting 100 along with McDavid doesn't take away from the feat any more than mogilny and Selanne both scoring 76 goals in 92-93

I think it does. A huge thing about the 100 assist season is the rarity in terms of how many players have done it.

Right now McDavid is in a small group with 3 guys that have been listed in the best ever convos.

Adding a kuch as the 5th would taint it a bit for me

Still incredible but I’m sure McD, his teammates and oilers fans would prefer Kuch to be stuck on 99

• Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It was interesting - during the game yesterday they had Craig MacTavish on and he was asked to comment on the significance of Connor McDavid registering 100 assists and if there were any parallels to Wayne Gretzky.

He was very eloquent in his reply but he basically said there is only one great one.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Congrats, and I'm glad that McDavid is looking like he's going to spend most of his peak career in a high scoring NHL era. It should give him a chance at many records.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Congrats McDavid, he's a special player and getting 100 assist is no easy feat. Was also impressive to witness turnaround Oilers made and McDavid going off contributed to all that. Be proud Oilers fans, any fan base that gets to cheer on generational player(s) is fortunate. Unfortunately, not all fans experience this....

It's sad there's way to many within society who feel the need to knock others down, while looking for anything to diminish greatness and whatnot. There can be multiple great events happening at same time, and one or the other doesn't take away from the events themselves. What McDavid just accomplished was special, no matter how much one tries to taint greatness.

Reactions: Kerberos

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think it does. A huge thing about the 100 assist season is the rarity in terms of how many players have done it.

Right now McDavid is in a small group with 3 guys that have been listed in the best ever convos.

Still incredible but I’m sure McD, his teammates and oilers fans would prefer Kuch to be stuck on 99
It doesn't take away from McDavid's legacy, just adds to Kucherov's.

He has been overshadowed a bit because his prime lines up with McDavid's, but he's had one of the best peaks of all time.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Kucherov is pretty fantastic, and already is in a very select group with only Lemieux/Gretzky. Only 3 players in history to score back to back 30 points in the playoffs are Gretzky, Lemieux and Kucherov. So it's not like he wouldn't be a worthy addition to the 100 assist club.

I can see Mcdavid getting 180 points in the next couple seasons if health permits. Something like a 60G 120A
Can go from scoring 60+ goals one season to 100+ assists the next. That's Lemieux and Gretzky territory.

Quoted both of you guys to pretty much say...

As good as McDavid is. The different with McDavid and Gretzky/Lemieux is that those two wouldn't just score either 60 goals or either 100 assists - they would do both at the same time. That's a huge difference - and that's what Lemieux/Gretzky territory would truly be.

McDavid hasn't shown he can do that yet. 100 assists is fantastic, but his goal-scoring also went down quite a lot from last year to do this.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Hey I get it guys. Kuch is an amazing player. HoF for sure.

But I think he sticks out when talking about with 99, 66 and 4.

97 fits in imo (if we wins a cup of course). But that’s a whole other discussion lol

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
I can see Mcdavid getting 180 points in the next couple seasons if health permits. Something like a 60G 120A
Who knows, but think once falt-cap starts rising next few years: teams won't be so strapped like these past 3-4 seasons. NHL teams will be able to have depth again and this matters, especially concerning stars players who can expose weakness quicker than most. Once better depth returns, NHL's star players will have tougher time. Tougher time = NHL stars feasting less.

Wanna get an idea what NHL stars will handle this return of NHL depth better, look what stars score against best teams right now -vs- Who scores a bunch of points against bad teams. That will give us fans somewhat of a clue what star players will continue to thrive once NHL depth improves across-the-league. McDavid will continue to do well, but he'll feel opponents depth like most stars and other players do.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Who kmows, but think once falt-cap starts rising next few years: teams won't be so straped like these past 3-4 seasons. NHL teams will be able to have depth again and this matters, epspecialy concerning stars players who can expose weakness qiuicker than most. Once better depth returns, NHL's star players will have tougher time. Tougher time = NHL stars not feasting less.

Wanna get an idea what NHL stars will handle this return of NHL depth better, look what stars score against best teams right now -vs- Who scores a bunch of points against bad teams. That will give us fans somewhat of a clue what star players will contunue to thrive once NHL depth improves across-the-league. McDavid will continue to do well, but he'll feel opponents depth like most stars and other players do.
He makes star NHL players look like juniors on a nightly basis, we will see 2ppg over 82 games yet for his peak.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Congrats McDavid, he's a special player and getting 100 assist is no easy feat. Was also impressive to witness turnaround Oilers made and McDavid going off contributed to all that. Be proud Oilers fans, any fan base that gets to cheer on generational player(s) is fortunate. Unfortunately, not all fans experience this....

It's sad there's way to many within society who feel the need to knock others down, while looking for anything to diminish greatness and whatnot. There can be multiple great events happening at same time, and one or the other doesn't take away from the events themselves. What McDavid just accomplished was special, no matter how much one tries to taint greatness.
I think this is why McDavid should get the Hart this year. The Oilers aren’t in the playoffs without McDavid popping off like he did.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hyman was a 40 point guy with Matthews AND Nylander/Marner.

He’s now a 50 goal 80 point guy with McDavid and Nuge.

That’s some Rob Brown shit and demonstrates the true separation between elite talent and generational talent.

Congrats to McDavid. We are all lucky to be around to see it.
No, not really. He had 15 goals, 33 points in 43 games which is roughly a 30 goals, 60 point pace and 21 goals, 37 points in 51 games the season before that. Saying that he was only a 40 point guy is a bit disingenuous when looking at pace.

With that said, he obviously gets a McDavid boost with the 50+ goal totals but he's also become a better player every year.

In any event, yes McDavid is amazing.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
There are a lot of people who debate McDavid's greatness because of the lack of cups. I am going to predict he gets one this year. The Oilers look really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad