McDavid becomes the 4th player in NHL history to record 100 assists in a season (mod warning post #50)

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
He makes star NHL players look like juniors on a nightly basis, we will see 2ppg over 82 games yet for his peak.
McDavid will still l get his awesome numbers and never said he wouldn't. I actually love McDavid and think he very amazing! But.... I don't think NHL stars will continue posting these records numbers seen these year, once better depth returns across league again.

That includes my favorite player Kucherov. Who's since 2015: has proven himself against best teams/players during regular season & playoffs. Kucherov's seasonal stat numbers will go down too, once NHL teams are able to field teams with better depth. Kucherov has performed well, but will not be immune to better depth these NHL stars will see night after night again in few yrs. Flat-cap is being felt now more than ever right now, the butchers bill is due and it' been brutal for many NHL organizations. Especially for NHL clubs having success with bad timing with contracts to boot. Once NHL depth returns to where it was precovid flat-cap. In my opinion, these 100 assist, 140 point, & 70 goals stats will lesson to resemble numbers we've seen in years past.

This doesn't take away from what stars are doing this season: they're doing awesome work in league where parity is better than what past players faced. But timing/era's in sports matter, covid flat cap has been felt across-the board, and has created an era within an era. Any star peaking right now will have more big nights (3 point + games an such) and since flat-cap started 3 or 4 seasons ago. We're witnessing those results at their fullest right now.

Stars will exploit any weakness crack that lets light through, that's one of things stars do. Would love to know if scoring numbers are same acorss NHL but NHL stars stat numbers are up more so above averages. Sports stars can exploit weakness more than most, so I'm curious if stats show NHL stars thriving best within this flat-capped depth strained NHL enviroment.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Unreal they’re playing him in an 8-1 drubbing to get that point. Kinda pathetic honestly
I mean he played like 5 minutes a night less than usual.

McDavid will still l get his awesome numbers and never said he wouldn't. I actually love McDavid and think he very amazing! But.... I don't think NHL stars will continue posting these records numbers seen these year, once better depth returns across league again.

That includes my favorite player Kucherov. Who's since 2015: has proven himself against best teams/players during regular season & playoffs. Kucherov's seasonal stat numbers will go down too, once NHL teams are able to field teams with better depth. Kucherov has performed well, but will not be immune to better depth these NHL stars will see night after night again in few yrs. Flat-cap is being felt now more than ever right now, the butchers bill is due and it' been brutal for many NHL organizations. Especially for NHL clubs having success with bad timing with contracts to boot. Once NHL depth returns to where it was precovid flat-cap. In my opinion, these 100 assist, 140 point, & 70 goals stats will lesson to resemble numbers we've seen in years past.

This doesn't take away from what stars are doing this season: they're doing awesome work in league where parity is better than what past players faced. But timing/era's in sports matter, covid flat cap has been felt across-the board, and has created an era within an era. Any star peaking right now will have more big nights (3 point + games an such) and since flat-cap started 3 or 4 seasons ago. We're witnessing those results at their fullest right now.

Stars will exploit any weakness crack that lets light through, that's one of things stars do. Would love to know if scoring numbers are same acorss NHL but NHL stars stat numbers are up more so above averages. Sports stars can exploit weakness more than most, so I'm curious if stats show NHL stars thriving best within this flat-capped depth strained NHL enviroment.
Problem is by the time the depth gets back to where one would like it the league will probably be expanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Classic McDavid never missing on big milestones :

- 100 pts in his sophomore season
- 100 points in 56 games (covid season)
- 150 points & 60 goals last year

And 100 assist this year.
It really gives off "I can do anything I set my mind to" energy. We're lucky to see such a deadly combination of talent and compete level mixed in one with McDavid. Who knows what he'll set out to do next.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Unreal they’re playing him in an 8-1 drubbing to get that point. Kinda pathetic honestly
Something tells me that the same Austonites commenting in this thread will whine a lot if fans make similar comments when/if Auston hits 70 ;)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You people aren't seriously complaining about McDavid's ice time in a game where he played 2.5 minutes more than the player with the least amount of ice time, and was 9th on his team in ice time, right?

Right? You don't actually think the Oilers should have sat their top players for half the game and rolled 3 lines?

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
He scored 50 in 54 for a .92 GPG. He currently has 69 goals in 79 games for .87 GPG, you think him ending up 0.06 lower equates to some major statistical difference? Really?

Also, my point was you pad ON TOP of something. I didn't think I had to explain how that metaphor works, given that you were the one that used it, but I guess here we are.

Padding = additional, meaning there has to be a base to start. Padding is the 8th goal in a 8-1 game, not the second.
As an Oilers fan, you have to realize that some people will just yell louder and claim victory in an argument.

Scoring NHL goals and points, in a regular season… is not stat padding. It’s just how it works.

The final total is what people remember!

Reactions: Goose

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Kucherov is pretty fantastic, and already is in a very select group with only Lemieux/Gretzky. Only 3 players in history to score back to back 30 points in the playoffs are Gretzky, Lemieux and Kucherov. So it's not like he wouldn't be a worthy addition to the 100 assist club.

Quoted both of you guys to pretty much say...

As good as McDavid is. The different with McDavid and Gretzky/Lemieux is that those two wouldn't just score either 60 goals or either 100 assists - they would do both at the same time. That's a huge difference - and that's what Lemieux/Gretzky territory would truly be.

McDavid hasn't shown he can do that yet. 100 assists is fantastic, but his goal-scoring also went down quite a lot from last year to do this.
He has shown the ability to score over 60 goals and over 90 assists in an 82 game stretch. He has shown that he is capable of being a 160+ point guy it just needs to happen within the standard NHL season. Some combination of 60-70 goals and 90-100 assists is absolutely a possibility. Not saying it’s guaranteed and not saying you are wrong but he’s definitely capable.

Attachments

• EDD40724-955D-4827-B15E-D91D38F2752F.jpeg
    EDD40724-955D-4827-B15E-D91D38F2752F.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 3

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
He’ll never win one. Lacks the leadership. Crosby’s game is about summation. That’s why he’ll always leave McMuffin in the dust.

Can’t lead his team to any sort of championship.

Crosbys leadership is so good that he can disappear in important games and his team will get it done for him, like that time he had 3 points in 7 games during the Stanley Cup finals and they won the Cup.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Crosbys leadership is so good that he can disappear in important games and his team will get it done for him, like that time he had 3 points in 7 games during the Stanley Cup finals and they won the Cup.

4 goals and 16 assists for 20 points in 25 career Stanley Cup Finals games. 2 of those 4 goals came within his first 3 games.

So a staggering 2 goals in his last 22 SCF games. Pretty cool to have the kind of support around you that enables you to put up 1 goal and 11 points in 15 games and take home 3 Cups in the process.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see McDavid pot at least 4 in the 2024 Finals alone.

Last edited:

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Excellent season by McDavid.

But this season should silence any talk that McDavid is "the best player to ever play hockey".

That is a narrative that has been talked about for a few years now.

However, this will be the 3rd season that McDavid has lost a scoring title to Kucherov and Draisailt. Also, McDavid was outscored by MacKinnon this year.

As good as Kucherov, Draisaitl, and MacKinnon are, you would have never seen a prime Gretzky or prime Lemieux lose a scoring race to players such as these.

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
It fits. He’s soft inside.
Most of our fanbase is soft inside due to the Jake Shake promotion and primanti brothers diet. It’s okay that McDavid is better than Crosby. I understand most of our fanbase lashes out like this because they can’t handle not having “the best” of something. It was the same with Gretzky being better than Lemieux. We just need to accept it and move on. We have 5 cups (the most) since 1990. We have arguably the best overall collection of top end talent of the last 3 to 4 decades (Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, etc.). This type of stuff makes us pens fans look so silly and it’s sadly really prevalent.

We are entering a pretty rough era for penguins hockey so it’s best to be appreciative of what we had and also enjoy all of the talent we see in the league today.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Most of our fanbase is soft inside due to the Jake Shake promotion and primanti brothers diet. It’s okay that McDavid is better than Crosby. I understand most of our fanbase lashes out like this because they can’t handle not having “the best” of something. It was the same with Gretzky being better than Lemieux. We just need to accept it and move on. We have 5 cups (the most) since 1990. We have arguably the best overall collection of top end talent of the last 3 to 4 decades (Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Malkin, etc.). This type of stuff makes us pens fans look so silly and it’s sadly really prevalent.

We are entering a pretty rough era for penguins hockey so it’s best to be appreciative of what we had and also enjoy all of the talent we see in the league today.
I feel bad that you always have to put your own fanbase in it's place, Walt.
Almost on a daily basis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad