Confirmed with Link: McCann resigns 5yr $25m

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Funny to see the over-reactions from folks on the main boards talking about how McCann got paid too much. Sure, let's see you guys keep a goal scorer on pace for 30G on that type of a contract.

I do understand some concerns of him being a true top-6 C but 5M is not top-6 money anyway. Its more like winger money. Once we get better C's, easy enough to slot him back to winger. That makes our team better, not worse. Pretty funny to read the posts though.

A lot of that is from Pittsburgh fans. As one of those as well I don't agree with them at all. This contract may not look good for that particular team but for Seattle it is good. He is finally in a stable position with some responsibility as a team leader and I think he will respond to it well.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I don't know. I think Schwartz is worth every penny of his 5.5M as long as he can play 70+ games a season. He is more versatile and dynamic than McCann is. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee there given his injury history.

Eberle, yeah, he is not worth 5.5M. I genuinely hope they move him in the off-season. But all that being said, he already had that contract when we picked him.

Watching the games this season, it has been my observation that McCann can and has driven his own line all season, whether playing with Eberle (I think he is better without Eberle to be honest, but Hakstol disagrees), Johansson, Jarnkrok, Tanev, Wennberg or Geekie, - and if you watch who he tends to draw as a defensive assignment from opposing coaches, other teams scouts seem to agree.

Schwartz is very active and aggressive without the puck, (much more so last game in his return than any game earlier in the season), but he can't drive a line in any way. He is the definition of a complimentary player. And before he got injured, I don't think anyone would have argued that he was anywhere near as good as McCann had been during that stretch. In my opinion, the only forward I can say that has been as effective as McCann all season would be Gourde, and I am not referring to points, just overall play.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
A lot of that is from Pittsburgh fans. As one of those as well I don't agree with them at all. This contract may not look good for that particular team but for Seattle it is good. He is finally in a stable position with some responsibility as a team leader and I think he will respond to it well.

I've heard several rational Penguins fans express frustration over losing both Tanev and McCann.

The few outspoken defenders of anything penguins on the main boards have some crazy arguments about how they are much better having dropped those contracts and replaced them with McGinn and Boyle, but most of their fans know that losing both of them instead of just one was a big mistake.

I understand the cap issues, but pretending losing them both isn't hurting them this season is kinda ridiculous.

If Hallander amounts to something, then that discussion might change, but right now it is looking like a really bad move.

Reactions: brewski420

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Its not so much they lost both is what they got for losing both an AHL player and a 7th. They would been better off just losing McCann to us then trading him to the leafs and losing Tanev in the process to us.

Reactions: brewski420

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad