Confirmed with Link: McCann resigns 5yr $25m

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yep... that's EXACTLY what I wanted to see this morning! That is a great signing. Great term at the right price. It's a win/win for the team/player for SURE.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
giphy.gif

Exactly what I wanted to see and a nice sign for everyone with the team, outside the organization and especially the fans.

Also happy for Canner overall.
Good contract, good situation(where he's given a solid role) and some security as well.

BTW: McCann's message to fans.

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I'm really glad this deal is done. It was like the thing dangling over the team that they needed to do before figuring out their long term plans. With it done, they can focus on what they don't already have.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Now he can go on a tear and hit that 30 goal mark. Very good deal for both sides. Seattle gets him at a nice AAV and through his prime years. McCann finally finds a place that it looks like he'll stay for awhile, is financially set and can now focus on hockey. Expect him to be in that 25g 50p range the length of this deal with hopefully a 30g 60p year or two.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Terrific news. What's also cool is knowing he wants to be here despite the brand new team.

It is definitely a positive. One concern in the expansion draft always is what if players don't like it here and even worse are vocal about it. Would not be ideal. But for every Eberle and Fleury there is McCann, Gourde, Donskoi, etc. Players who give it their all and try to stay positive.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Very Happy to come here and eat my crow. :laugh: I should never have doubted all the very smart posters in here and Francis' contract negotiation ability. This could turn out to be close to Pesce or Slavin value level if McCann continues to produce.

Now I hope that I am not wrong in that the analytics show this season isn't a anomaly, and that his numbers are long-term sustainable.

5 million for a 25 Y.O. likely 30 goal player is such a steal, but this makes the Eberle and Schwartz contracts look really bad.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Very Happy to come here and eat my crow. :laugh: I should never have doubted all the very smart posters in here and Francis' contract negotiation ability. This could turn out to be close to Pesce or Slavin value level if McCann continues to produce.

Now I hope that I am not wrong in that the analytics show this season isn't a anomaly, and that his numbers are long-term sustainable.

5 million for a 25 Y.O. likely 30 goal player is such a steal, but this makes the Eberle and Schwartz contracts look really bad.

I don't know. I think Schwartz is worth every penny of his 5.5M as long as he can play 70+ games a season. He is more versatile and dynamic than McCann is. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee there given his injury history.

Eberle, yeah, he is not worth 5.5M. I genuinely hope they move him in the off-season. But all that being said, he already had that contract when we picked him.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't know. I think Schwartz is worth every penny of his 5.5M as long as he can play 70+ games a season. He is more versatile and dynamic than McCann is. Unfortunately, there is no guarantee there given his injury history.

Eberle, yeah, he is not worth 5.5M. I genuinely hope they move him in the off-season. But all that being said, he already had that contract when we picked him.

Its not seattle's fault NYI exposed Eberle. Yes he can be unhappy about it but that's just how things are. If he's going to have that grudge while wearing a Seattle uniform then instead of actually doing his darn job on the ice, he's gonna end up going to some other team that he won't be happy with.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I think the "grudge" from Eberle is a perception on our (the fans) behalf based on one comment, of which PLENTY can be read into, but could also have been a commentary about the whole expansion draft process etc. I doubt it, myself. If it wasn't so awkward when it happened, I'd be more likely to believe the commentary... uh... commentary.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think the "grudge" from Eberle is a perception on our (the fans) behalf based on one comment, of which PLENTY can be read into, but could also have been a commentary about the whole expansion draft process etc. I doubt it, myself. If it wasn't so awkward when it happened, I'd be more likely to believe the commentary... uh... commentary.
I don't know about grudge. I view it as discontent or general unhappiness. But to me that is secondary to the fact that he is lazy with his defense quite often and costs the team. He still has value in the league so I would prefer to move him sooner than later.

Reactions: Irie

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I don't know about grudge. I view it as discontent or general unhappiness. But to me that is secondary to the fact that he is lazy with his defense quite often and costs the team. He still has value in the league so I would prefer to move him sooner than later.

Grudge was the only word in my head, and is definitely wrong. What I meant was Eberle just going to RKO the entire city of Seattle out of nowhere. ;)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Funny to see the over-reactions from folks on the main boards talking about how McCann got paid too much. Sure, let's see you guys keep a goal scorer on pace for 30G on that type of a contract.

I do understand some concerns of him being a true top-6 C but 5M is not top-6 money anyway. Its more like winger money. Once we get better C's, easy enough to slot him back to winger. That makes our team better, not worse. Pretty funny to read the posts though.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Funny to see the over-reactions from folks on the main boards talking about how McCann got paid too much. Sure, let's see you guys keep a goal scorer on pace for 30G on that type of a contract.

I do understand some concerns of him being a true top-6 C but 5M is not top-6 money anyway. Its more like winger money. Once we get better C's, easy enough to slot him back to winger. That makes our team better, not worse. Pretty funny to read the posts though.

He was always going to get a pay raise. He went from 2.9 to 5m. It wasn't as if he went from under a million to 5m.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He was always going to get a pay raise. He went from 2.9 to 5m. It wasn't as if he went from under a million to 5m.
Yeah. The raise was fair. My first guess with his contract a few weeks back was 4.75M x 4/5 years. It is very close to that.

I have zero issues with this contract. He produces and he wants to be here. He has show adaptability and ready to play either W or C. And he is only 25.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yeah. The raise was fair. My first guess with his contract a few weeks back was 4.75M x 4/5 years. It is very close to that.

I have zero issues with this contract. He produces and he wants to be here. He has show adaptability and ready to play either W or C. And he is only 25.

I had him around 4.5 and 5.5m. He's not that kind of dynamtic Center or winger that would bring that kind of stats that would warrant 2.5 or triple the salary also if he was getting that kind of stats he would been protected by pittsburgh not traded to the leafs. Yet alone possible being kept by Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad