MB's Vision

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
All I'm reading here is that Bergevin is meh because his trades have been for 3rd linera. I didn't know that all a GM does is make trades. Honestly, I did not.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Sometimes the best trades are the ones that you do not make. Making a trade for the sake of a trade is a dubious position to place yourself in. It may be flashy and look like you are doing something but the reality is that on many occasions you are making lateral moves or being desperate. Patience and a calculating approach is what Bergevin is going for. You do not want to pull some of these trades on deadline day http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ten-regrettable-nhl-trade-deadline-deals/

The Habs are building on a formula of goaltending and defense. It is clear to see that they want to be like the Devils of the nineties, a team with okay offense but a D that was the best around. Stevens, Danyeko, Niedermeyer, Rafalski, and White were a formidable force to face. I would like to add that great player and have a flashier team but it is hard to do so. It would mean trading a Hudon, McCaron, Sherbak, etc. These are players that would be good, cheap replacements in a couple of years.

EDIT: I like what he has done. We have a young team that will only get better. He recognized what we had and knew not to mess with it to much. There is now a better atmosphere on the team and players, for the most part, are happy to be here. BTW, if he can get a Butch Goring for Dave Lewis/Billy Harris trade I would be happy :).

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
All I'm reading here is that Bergevin is meh because his trades have been for 3rd linera. I didn't know that all a GM does is make trades. Honestly, I did not.

Well I will always believe that the draft is the Head scout. Then, the GM's job is more about deciding to sign or not sign guys, UFA's and trades. That's how fans can analyse a GM work. Every team that has won the Cup has seen a combination of everything. LA did acquire Carter, Richard and Gaborik that played a significant role in that Cup. Hawks added Hossa at one point. And Sharp. To a certain extent...Frolik. But not as determinant as the first 2. Boston added Chara. And Horton. Even Ryder played a key role in their cup. If you don't have the luxury to have multiple 1st overall pick like Pittsburgh, you need your GM to do trades that will accompany your draft picks. So not only Bergevin....but what legitimate proven players have we added in the Gainey-Gauthier era and Bergevin era. Geez, as of now, we have to say Gomez-Gionta-Cammy from Gainey. But right now....who are the key players? Timmins players. And who was it for Markov and Pleks? Dorion? Madden?

So the GM's job isn't solely to make trades....but if you want to go far, history shows that if you don't have the luxury to finish as the worst team for a couple of years....you will have to. As far as we are concerned, when you have one if not the best goalie in the league....one if not the best duo of d-men in the league....and one of the top sniper in the league....you will have the necessary talent to win it all before your window is gone....Been 23 years now. Doesn't mean to empty everything....wouldn't want to do that either. But he will have to be imaginative enough to make us reach the other level.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
They were rentals. Bergy hasn't added external talent to the roster whatsoever.

It is true that MB has yet to add an impact player to the team.

But what are the realistic options to make that move ?

Free agency ? Lecavalier, Statsny, Iginla, etc. That's what's available every summer. Major overpayment for players seeking the highest bidder. Not the key to success.

Trades ? Sure. But how many quality impact forwards have been traded in the past 2-3 years ? Bruins would have never dealt Seguin to us even if we could have made a package that would have trumped Dallas' package. Kane ? The minute he announced he was having season ending surgery, it was pretty much over for us. No way we were dealing assets that could help us right now for a guy that would help us next year. Makes zero sense for a top team to do that.

Sometimes, no move is the right move.

Also, Ryder wasn't a rental, it was a hockey trade for Cole. We even got a pick back I think ? Not every player dealt with 1 year remaining on their deal becomes a rental.

He has added Prust who has been a very important piece in turning around our soft image. He's filling an invaluable role IMO. Weise was also an important roster move for us.

Two to three years is a short time to make that big move. I think MB is being very patient, keeping flexibility to make it happen should the opportunity arise. That's why you see all these cap dumps Bourque for Allen, Moen for Gonchar, Cole for Ryder. He's slowly trimming the fat, only keeping the right players.

The main thing I didn't like was the handling of Subban, the Briere signing and Moen's 4 year deal. But they aren't real issues anymore, merely missed opportunities in some cases.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad