Mayweather vs McGregor Pt II

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
l-e-g-a-c-y.

How weak is this reply :laugh:

Your entire retort is based around Floyd calling himself the GOAT and you taking it seriously which is hilarious to begin with.

Floyd is a cocky, proud guy. He will always call himself the GOAT. It doesn't mean it's true, that's who he is. As he said when he was asked about Ali, "I didn't give my life to this sport to say there's another fighter better than me". Meanwhile, Conor has referred to himself as a god. I do hope then that you're also criticising McGregor for not being a god? he isn't a god. If he was really a god he would have beat Mayweather. It's pathetic from a guy who is meant to be a god to not even be able to beat a ***** like Mayweather.

Being more aggressive wouldn't have made him the GOAT.

He is, however, one of the all time best. But you'll come back complaining that he isn't, because of some rubbish about how he wasn't more aggressive.

Pretty sure though that the point is to win, not to please you.

The fact you think he won't be remembered in 10 years is nothing short of stupid.

Perhaps you can even drop a few cool bro words like alpha in your next reply as well.

Apparently beating Conor with complete ease, as a 40 year old, tarnishes his legacy lol. It certainly does nothing to enhance it, but tarnish it? he was meant to win the fight with ease, he did. Tarnished lol? You're a joke. Apparently we hold guys accountable for what they think of themselves. Mayweather beat a god.

I've wasted enough time on you. This was the best you could come up with? after all the going on about how pathetic it was that he wasn't more aggressive, the best you can come up with is some crap about legacy? not realising that Floyd's approach has gotten him to where he is today? I'm done :laugh:.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
How weak is this reply :laugh:

Your entire retort is based around Floyd calling himself the GOAT and you taking it seriously which is hilarious to begin with.

Floyd is a cocky, proud guy. He will always call himself the GOAT. It doesn't mean it's true, that's who he is. As he said when he was asked about Ali, "I didn't give my life to this sport to say there's another fighter better than me". Meanwhile, Conor has referred to himself as a god. I do hope then that you're also criticising McGregor for not being a god? he isn't a god. If he was really a god he would have beat Mayweather. It's pathetic from a guy who is meant to be a god to not even be able to beat a ***** like Mayweather.

Being more aggressive wouldn't have made him the GOAT.

He is, however, one of the all time best. But you'll come back complaining that he isn't, because of some rubbish about how he wasn't more aggressive.

Pretty sure though that the point is to win, not to please you.

The fact you think he won't be remembered in 10 years is nothing short of stupid.

Perhaps you can even drop a few cool bro words like alpha in your next reply as well.

Apparently beating Conor with complete ease, as a 40 year old, tarnishes his legacy lol. It certainly does nothing to enhance it, but tarnish it? he was meant to win the fight with ease, he did. Tarnished lol? You're a joke. Apparently we hold guys accountable for what they think of themselves. Mayweather beat a god.

I've wasted enough time on you. This was the best you could come up with? after all the going on about how pathetic it was that he wasn't more aggressive, the best you can come up with is some crap about legacy? not realising that Floyd's approach has gotten him to where he is today? I'm done :laugh:.

Of course you're done. It's the same reason you kept saying I hadn't answered your ridiculous question. Because you have no answer for the truth. I'm not calling Floyd the GOAT. He calls himself that. You want to split hairs over it, take it up with him, just like I told you before.

Boxing is a legacy sport. Records, and being undefeated matter. Styles matter. Who you beat matters. How you compare to the greats before you matter. You can say it doesn't, but any real boxing fan knows it does.

If anyone wants to sit here and act like a complete and utter asshat and make claims someone hasn't answered a question, it's me. You've ignored my Larry Holmes comparison multiple times here. And you and I both know why. Because it's accurate. It's true. Mayweather is not a memorable fighter because he has no great fights. He fought in a dead era of his sport where there were no real threats to him, and despite that, he fought a passive style that endeared him to nobody. It won him no fans, even if it won him lots of fights, albeit in a boring as possible manner.

Since he has no memorable fights, people point to his record and how much money he made as if that proves and achieves the greatness he so clearly longs for. It doesn't. It won't ever. But again, you want to ask why he would have been more open to mixing it up, and every time I tell you, like clockwork you try to dismiss it and run away like a baby, saying you're done. You can't run from it. It's true. His legacy in this sport is simply not up to snuff. He's shown that over and over by being unwilling to mix it up and by picking tomato cans like a guy who had never boxed a minute in his life professionally to break a record.

Watching him on ESPN this morning was hilarious. He was so full of himself and so pleased that you'd think he just knocked out Muhammad Ali in his prime, FFS, instead of a guy in his professional boxing debut who had trained for all of 5 months as a boxer before stepping into the ring. :laugh:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I don't know what argument is the worst in this thread. The terrible Floyd discussion... or the fact someone is questioning the legitimacy of the stoppage.

It is in the rule book, clear as day. Stoppage if the opponent is no longer able to defend himself. Every extra shot causes significant long term damage. This stoppage happens against any boxer. There was no special treatment for Connor.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Perhaps, since LSCII is completely incapable of answering the question, you can then explain why it would be beneficial for Floyd to be more aggressive? because it's easy to argue why he should do what he usually does, and there's an unparalleled career of success in terms of record and money to support it, but we aren't getting the benefits for him to be more aggressive?

You've said he could have had flashier finishes. For what? does being flashy determine how good you are now? Additional risk in the name of flash? that's not smart. Floyd is smart.

Well it does in MMA that's for damn sure. If you have flashy finishes you skyrocket up the roster. Fans hate on Tyron Woodley pretty bad for fighting too safe of fights. I personally think he's one of the best p4p right now, so I get it.
So not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that will always be the criticism of Mayweather's career. He went most of his career fighting the lowest risk possible to still maintain his champion status. He rarely showed an extra gear even when he probably could have.

The key difference is that Connor knows his fight persona is all for show. He's a pretty humble and chill dude when he's not playing up for the camera, and there's tons of footage out there that shows it.

Floyd kind of always acts like he's more important than anyone in the room and basically royalty.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Of course you're done. It's the same reason you kept saying I hadn't answered your ridiculous question. Because you have no answer for the truth. I'm not calling Floyd the GOAT. He calls himself that. You want to split hairs over it, take it up with him, just like I told you before.

Boxing is a legacy sport. Records, and being undefeated matter. Styles matter. Who you beat matters. How you compare to the greats before you matter. You can say it doesn't, but any real boxing fan knows it does.

If anyone wants to sit here and act like a complete and utter asshat and make claims someone hasn't answered a question, it's me. You've ignored my Larry Holmes comparison multiple times here. And you and I both know why. Because it's accurate. It's true. Mayweather is not a memorable fighter because he has no great fights. He fought in a dead era of his sport where there were no real threats to him, and despite that, he fought a passive style that endeared him to nobody. It won him no fans, even if it won him lots of fights, albeit in a boring as possible manner.

Since he has no memorable fights, people point to his record and how much money he made as if that proves and achieves the greatness he so clearly longs for. It doesn't. It won't ever. But again, you want to ask why he would have been more open to mixing it up, and every time I tell you, like clockwork you try to dismiss it and run away like a baby, saying you're done. You can't run from it. It's true. His legacy in this sport is simply not up to snuff. He's shown that over and over by being unwilling to mix it up and by picking tomato cans like a guy who had never boxed a minute in his life professionally to break a record.

Watching him on ESPN this morning was hilarious. He was so full of himself and so pleased that you'd think he just knocked out Muhammad Ali in his prime, FFS, instead of a guy in his professional boxing debut who had trained for all of 5 months as a boxer before stepping into the ring. :laugh:

Mayweather maybe "ducked" Pac. Conor has ducked 2 divisions.

This thread is embarrassing on "fight" knowledge.

Reactions: timbermen

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Floyd kind of always acts like he's more important than anyone in the room and basically royalty.
Idk I've definitely seen videos with Floyd just being human. Now Conor, he's chill and all but his ego is definitely overblown. He believes things about his skill that he shouldn't and is surrounded by people who keep pumping his ego up. Case in point, he thinks he actually outboxed Mayweather for the first 3 rounds. Like actually outskilled him...

Also, Mayweather was right to duck Pac. Dude is a career juicer.

Separate topic, does anyone feel bad for Paulie? Pretty much every single thing he said about Conor ended up being right. :laugh:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Because bookmakers are dumb that somehow means something... ?

Comparison is fine. MMA is a completely different sport still in its infancy. Proof is in a man like Brock Lesnar who can go in and become champion. You'll never see someone from another sport get into boxing and do that.

Brock also fought in a division that was in transition. There hadn't been an athlete that freakish since Randelman.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Maybe. I think you're right that he'd kick the crap out of him with his legs, then go in for the kill, but whether that was on the ground or not, I don't know. Mainly because his style the entire time he's fought in MMA hasn't really been to go to the ground. He's a counter puncher, but also very offensive minded, but typically just in stand up. Against a boxer with no ground game though, he may well just go there. Hard to say. I think a case could be made that he'd be happy just to pick him apart with kicks too.

Damn, what a loser Conor would be if he didn't go in for the kill right away like Floyd was suppose to do.

If it's so easy for Conor to beat Floyd in the octagon, why wouldn't he just go for the kill? Why does he need to pick apart Floyd.

Oct 18, 2011
random thoughts

I get the debate about 50-0

Conor is not a professional boxer, but if Floyd lost we would be shoving 49-1 in his face...

Dana has a problem on his hands I think people will pay to watch Conor box again as well as other UFC fighters. Boxing pays better so I wonder if pandoras box has been opened.

Id be interested in seeing Stipe and Joshua go at it

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Even if you consider this a true loss, this is still wrong. First, they gave their other star in Rousey a very tough fight when she came back and lost.

Or even more comparable, after he lost to Nate they gave him Nate again.

So Dana won't risk the star losing back to back fights?

They don't have the "Featherweight champ moves up two weight classes!" angle to play this time around. Unless GSP gets hurt and he fights Bisping. Or they give him Woodley for the 3rd belt.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
McGregor aka Mr talk too much. So much talk about how he knocks Floyd out inside 4 rounds, but he did absolutely nothing more than talk, he told people to put money on him and got knocked out by 40 years old man.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
And I'd ask why you refuse to acknowledge the truth. You keep saying he was never in any trouble or at any risk. So what benefit does he get by extending a fight where the guy only has a punchers chance and hopes to land one haymaker? Aren't you at risk more by giving him longer and more chance to do so?

But again, the greater point all along has been that everyone in their right mind knows McGregor didn't belong in that ring with the guy. Everyone knew the skill level was simply not there. Yet even with an incredibly obvious mismatch in front of him, he played it safe. If that isn't the literal definition of gutless, I don't know what is. Mayweather himself was on ESPN this morning talking about how McGregor couldn't hurt him. How he was never in any danger. How he controlled the entire fight, how he tested him early to make sure he couldn't be hurt, and how easy it was to breeze to victory. So answer me my question. Why was he so afraid to actually move forward when by everything he said, it didn't matter when he did so? If you take the man at his word, there was no actual risk.

You know what? Because he's gutless. I mean, I can get why you wouldn't do it against Cotto. Or some of the other guys he beat by running and hugging. But why do it against a guy you determined by round three was certainly no threat? Gutless.

He wasn't afraid to move forward. He went straight to the head after round 3 and beat the **** out of McGregor. If he was afraid to move forward then McGregor wouldn't land 111 shots.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yep. All that is true. No question. I at least get why he's done that in the past against real boxers. But like you keep pointing out, he was never in any risk last night. So why play it safe when there's no danger?

And I did point out a reason. Letting a guy stay in the ring longer than need be, when the only hope that guy has is to wing haymakers is really not a smart play.

Oh good god. Why you keep doing this? Everyone reading this thread has already made up their mind about you. The fact that you can't see how ridiculous you are is astonishing to me.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Well it does in MMA that's for damn sure. If you have flashy finishes you skyrocket up the roster. Fans hate on Tyron Woodley pretty bad for fighting too safe of fights. I personally think he's one of the best p4p right now, so I get it.
So not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that will always be the criticism of Mayweather's career. He went most of his career fighting the lowest risk possible to still maintain his champion status. He rarely showed an extra gear even when he probably could have.

The key difference is that Connor knows his fight persona is all for show. He's a pretty humble and chill dude when he's not playing up for the camera, and there's tons of footage out there that shows it.

The Woodley argument doesn't stack up when it goes to Mayweather though because he was at the top of the sport for how long and was the biggest draw in the sport unquestionably. If people weren't paying then it would be an issue. But they did, so it doesn't matter. Is Woodley the biggest draw in the UFC? no, not at all.

So what does he have to gain from being more flashy? He was at the top in every meaningful way, and taking less punishment.

Floyd usually is the most important person in the room. There's also examples of him being more down to earth and humble, but people won't acknowledge those or they'll spin it that he's putting it on. Same old double standard.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They don't have the "Featherweight champ moves up two weight classes!" angle to play this time around. Unless GSP gets hurt and he fights Bisping. Or they give him Woodley for the 3rd belt.

So who do you think McGregor fights next then?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Oh good god. Why you keep doing this? Everyone reading this thread has already made up their mind about you. The fact that you can't see how ridiculous you are is astonishing to me.

Why do you think I would care what you or anyone else in this thread thinks about me? Literally the last thing I'd ever give a crap about. Instead, I prefer to focus on the facts. And factually speaking, that fight was a complete joke and blatant cash grab.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I don't think the Woodley thing will happen now. Woodley hits much, much harder than anyone Conor has ever faced, he would get knocked into retirement.

I think the trilogy fight is probably next (unless Kevin Lee wins vs Tony Ferguson) and then the UFC will hide Conor to see if GSP can beat Woodley after he fights Bisping (they've already said that he'll move back down to 170) before sneaking Conor out of the back door.

The last thing they want is for Conor to get molly whopped before they can cash in with him a few more times. They won't allow the opportunity for this to happen.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
McGregor nut huggers need something to make themselves feel good after last night.

They're the only real losers in this whole spectacle.

I don't get the hate for McGregor. I'm not a UFC guy, or Boxing/MMA for that matter. But I have a ton of respect for the guy, he's pretty hard core and super entertaining.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't get the hate for McGregor. I'm not a UFC guy, or Boxing/MMA for that matter. But I have a ton of respect for the guy, he's pretty hard core and super entertaining.

I have zero hate for McGregor. I think hes a bit overrated as a fighter, but hes still very good at what he does and few people handle a loss as well has.

I can't stand the large majority of his fans. Most of them have zero understanding of the sport and basically just regurgitate anything that Conor says like its 100% fact.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

I have the utmost respect for his fighting skills. I have no respect for his disrespectful trash talk he uses against his opponents and sometimes their families to promote his fights. It was nice to see his ego checked, mayweather took him to school and was never in trouble, so much for that win via ko mr.mcgregor.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I have the utmost respect for his fighting skills. I have no respect for his disrespectful trash talk he uses against his opponents and sometimes their families to promote his fights. It was nice to see his ego checked, mayweather took him to school and was never in trouble, so much for that win via ko mr.mcgregor.

He's selling fights.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
He's selling fights.

Exactly. This is an act he uses to sell PPVs and get paid. How some people haven't figured that out yet is beyond me. He's ripping off Muhammad Ali...

Yes he is selling fights, I just find he is over the top obnoxious when he doesn't need to be as we all know his skill level and pedigree at this point. He just seems like a more vulgar and less intelligent Chael sonnen with obviously much more skill within the octagon than Chael.

Muhammad Ali and Conors style of trash talk are night and day imo. Muhammad came out looking classy and not as disrespectful but people were more respectful in general back then.

Just my opinion. I fully understand why he does it. He just looks like a loser doing it which is sad due to his great skill set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad