GDT: Maybe Ol' AD Breaks The Losing Streak

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
KK has been a completely different player the last month.

On the season right now he's at 16 points over 42 games played, good for a 31 point pace over the season. Not the worst, but definitely serviceable for a 4th line player.

However, since Dec 10th, he has 11 points over 16 games played, which is a 56 point pace. Considering a big chunk of that time has been on the 4th line, that's a fantastic scoring rate for him, and actually starts making his contract look like a bit of a bargain if he can keep it up.
that 3 points is 20 basically killed a chance at having a good season as a whole. it is what it is. he maintains his current pace, unlikely, he could finish the season with 40 points. That would be respectable. His playoffs performance will be important to carrying his confidence into next season.

Its more than just points production from him, he has played solid defensively, wins a lot of board battles, and has gotten a lot more physical. the potential is starting to show, especially with the shot.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Yeah....

I mean I want to be hopeful, but watching the postgame locker room speech with what Brindy was saying about how he battled back and how he has to battle again while stopping himself from saying exactly what was going on combined with Patches downtrodden demeanor... I don't get a good feeling about that right now.

There's some type of liquid coming out of my eyes after watching that video. I'm a little concerned. I should probably call my doctor.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
On The Point on Sirius, RBA said Patches won't likely play tomorrow but downplayed a major injury. He said they like to be extra cautious with players returning after injury.

Confirmed Koochie was injured while he was held out. Said a goalie decision will be coming after the next few games..he's not a fan of having 3 in rotation. Expressed concern about overstressing and ruining a young goalie's promise so I think he may be sent down for a bit. You could tell he's big fan of his though.

Was asked if KK and Stastny were top 6 centers..he kind of went to his party line "we don't do lines like that way" talk but did say KK has had a good month and that Stastny is "a pro and does things right" even if he is not scoring a lot. He called the Staal line his number 1.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
On The Point on Sirius, RBA said Patches won't likely play tomorrow but downplayed a major injury. He said they like to be extra cautious with players returning after injury.

Confirmed Koochie was injured while he was held out. Said a goalie decision will be coming after the next few games..he's not a fan of having 3 in rotation. Expressed concern about overstressing and ruining a young goalie's promise so I think he may be sent down for a bit. You could tell he's big fan of his though.

Was asked if KK and Stastny were top 6 centers..he kind of went to his party line "we don't do lines like that way" talk but did say KK has had a good month and that Stastny is "a pro and does things right" even if he is not scoring a lot. He called the Staal line his number 1.
Thanks for sharing.....good questions were asked (and answered).

Reactions: DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I joke about it a lot but I’m starting to think Rod really does want a team full of nothing but 3rd line grinders.

I think he prefers their style of game, because it matches his own when he was playing. Brindamour was never your McKinnon/McDavid/Aho player. In his prime, he was more like Svech, but better defensively with less of a lethal shot.

So yeah, you give him a choice between guys that’ll spend an entire shift in the offensive zone, generating chances and basically forcing opposing teams to react vs. guys that’ll spend their shift going up and down the ice, trading chances with the opposing team off various rush plays, he’ll favor the former every time.

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
So yeah, you give him a choice between guys that’ll spend an entire shift in the offensive zone, generating chances and basically forcing opposing teams to react vs. guys that’ll spend their shift going up and down the ice, trading chances with the opposing team off various rush plays, he’ll favor the former every time.
In the last five games his “1st line” is a combined -15 with 1 goal and 3 assists. In no way shape or form is that a NHL caliber 1st line I don’t care what style of play the coach prefers.

Edit to add: If Aho or any of the teams actual first line caliber players had a five game -5 with 1 point stretch people would be having an absolute meltdown. Hell people, including Tripp with his marching orders, have been talking about Aho needing to get his shit together and he’s got 5 points and +3 in the past five games. The double standard of expectations placed on players is pretty obvious. Never once have I heard the broadcast say a single negative thing about Jordan Staal and rarely Martinook.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Staal's TOI isn't that of a 1st line no matter what Brindy says. Aho is getting 19:25 TOI/GP to Staal's 16:25. Aho, Svech and Necas all have more ES TOI/GP as well. KK did as well until he was demoted from the 2nd line.

In the last 5 games, Aho, Svech, Necas and Jarvis each had more ES TOI/GP (and OA TOI/GP) than Staal and Stastny had more than Martinook and Fast.

It's pretty much a 2B line no matter what nomenclature Rod gives it. Actions speak louder than words.

Staal's line has been bad over the last 5 games, no argument there (and I think Martinook might be falling back down to earth). Unfortunately, Statsny-Necas-Svech over the past 5 games are also bad. 2G and -9.

Reactions: ndp

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Staal's TOI isn't that of a 1st line no matter what Brindy says. Aho is getting 19:25 TOI/GP to Staal's 16:25. Aho, Svech and Necas all have more ES TOI/GP as well. KK did as well until he was demoted from the 2nd line.

In the last 5 games, Aho, Svech, Necas and Jarvis each had more ES TOI/GP (and OA TOI/GP) than Staal and Stastny had more than Martinook and Fast.

It's pretty much a 2B line no matter what nomenclature Rod gives it. Actions speak louder than words.

Staal's line has been bad over the last 5 games, no argument there (and I think Martinook might be falling back down to earth). Unfortunately, Statsny-Necas-Svech over the past 5 games are also bad. 2G and -9.
As usual the numbers don’t lie.

I would love to see KK put back up with Svech and Necas. It feels like he’s had his best stretch of games as a Hurricane and I would love to see if he can keep it going playing with those two. Stastny isn’t necessarily bad, but he ain’t what I would call good either. Either move KK back up or finally give Necas his shot at center, which I doubt happens wile Patches is out.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The Staal line hasn't been good lately, but frankly, none of our lines have. We've been getting by with our special teams of late, while struggling to do anything productive at even strength.

But at least the Staal line had a period of time this year where they were consistently the best line over multiple games. Can we really say the same about the Aho line?

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
The Staal line hasn't been good lately, but frankly, none of our lines have. We've been getting by with our special teams of late, while struggling to do anything productive at even strength.

But at least the Staal line had a period of time this year where they were consistently the best line over multiple games. Can we really say the same about the Aho line?
YEAH yeah ... um Nope

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

Alls I’m saying is that if the coaching staff is relying on the Staal line to be their #1, which as @Boom Boom Apathy pointed out based on actual usage they’re really not, IMO they’re in a world of trouble.

I love what Jordan Staal does for this team, and he’s obviously a HUGe key to their success. But you know just as well as anyone else points and goals win games in this league, especially in the playoffs, and Staal or his line mates don’t come anywhere close to 1st line production. How many seasons ago was it Jordan got blanked in the playoffs?

Staal is an elite 3rd line center, players like Fast are a dime a dozen, and despite Martinooks blazing start to the season he’s a 4th liner. Rod leans on them too much because he likes them, weather personal or play style related doesn’t really matter. Same reason Jarvis has been getting a pass this season, Rod likes him.

Put Aho with two actual first line wingers for a stretch of games, Svech, Necas, Patches or even despite his horrid start Turbo. And the OFFENSIVE skill gap between them and the Staal line is very apparent. While Aho isn’t as defensive of a brick wall as Staal historically is, he still holds his own. And the gap in offensive production likely more than makes up for the slight difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad